I Recommend You Ride A Bike

JungleBiker

Hello Everyone,

I'm 48 but I am not fat and never have been, though I could easily become fat if I wanted to. One reason I am not fat is because I ride a bike (i.e. bicycle not motorbike) so I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to lose weight. However, I don't mean 30 mins a day. I suggest you make each ride not less than one hour. Initially, you should aim for say one hour every other day and then gradually increase the number of hours per week by riding more days in the week or making some rides longer than one hour (say 2 hours for weekend ride). If you can get up to 10+ hours a week I think your fat will gradually melt away (but you will still need to avoid soft drinks, ice cream, cakes, french fries, etc). Try to eat your next meal within 20 mins of completing your ride in order to refill your glycogen stores. I think cycling and the south beach diet is a great combination for anyone who wants to lose weight. Right now I can eat some of the bad foods and get away with it simply because I cycle so much.

I suggest you start with a mountain bike even if you ride on roads because the position is more upright and will help you avoid getting back pain. If you only ride your mountain bike on roads replace the off-road tyres with slick tyres (1.5 inches wide) so you can go quicker and quieter.

You should dress in proper cycling clothes for better comfort - most important is some cycling shorts either the stretchy body fitting type or the baggy type (I prefer the former but some of you may feel shy wearing such shorts). Cycling shorts have a padded insert sown into them - you wear them without any underwear - this helps you feel more comfortable on the saddle.

Eventually some proper cycling shoes with cleats that click into the pedals are also good to have.

I suggest you get a decent quality bike, say 20,000 baht plus. If you can afford 40,000 - 120,000 baht you can get a nice bike that will be lighter and enable you to go faster for the same effort. Riding fast is more fun and so will motivate you to ride more.

Besides increasing your weekly time on the bike, eventually as your fitness improves, you should aim to ride faster on some of your rides (but not all of them - you have to vary the intensity - i.e. some hard days with some easy days in between to recover). To better guide your workouts you could (should) get a power meter. I recommend a Power Tap which will cost around 40,000 baht - available from the Cannondale bicycle distributor in Bangkok (owed by a Brit named Chris). The power meter will enable you to measure how much power you produce on the bike (besides speed, distance, heart rate, energy, etc). You should download the data after each ride into your computer and use Cycling Peaks software to analyze the data. Then you can see your progress and know how hard or easy to ride each workout. You can (should) also get a coach via internet to help guide you - you can send him your data files via email so that he can monitor your progress and prepare your workout schedules. I use the coaching services of Ric Stern in Wales - www.cyclecoach.com

You can learn more by visiting forums like www.cyclingforums.com

I could write lots more but I hope I have provided enough information for some of you to take the bait, find out more and give it a go.

Good luck.

JB.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

Well I am a little disappointed that my advice didn't seem to stir any response. But never mind perhaps some of you read it and used it.

I forgot to mention that anyone interested to follow my advice about training (or losing fat) with a power meter should also get The Book for power meter users - it is called "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" http://www.amazon.com/Training-Racing-Powe...r/dp/1931382794

JB.

Hello Everyone,

Well I am a little disappointed that my advice didn't seem to stir any response. But never mind perhaps some of you read it and used it.

I forgot to mention that anyone interested to follow my advice about training (or losing fat) with a power meter should also get The Book for power meter users - it is called "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" http://www.amazon.com/Training-Racing-Powe...r/dp/1931382794

JB.

Well done, JungleBiker!

I read your post with interest but I didn't respond simply because I am already a big fan of cycling and for many years have been trying to do at least an hour a day by bike, both in Thailand and back in the UK.

I don't have a Power Meter but I do try to extend myself as much as possible and, after experience of using a heart monitor in the past, I feel I have a good idea of what my body is capable of.

I'm sure I would easily put on weight if I stopped cycling and didn't take any other exercise but the gratifying thing is that my cycling is a labour of love. I know a lot of people who take up fitness programmes, join gyms, etc become disenchanted and bored and find the whole exercise thing a huge pain. Luckily I never feel that way about cycling.

I would heartily endorse your recommendations.

I suggest you start with a mountain bike even if you ride on roads because the position is more upright and will help you avoid getting back pain. If you only ride your mountain bike on roads replace the off-road tyres with slick tyres (1.5 inches wide) so you can go quicker and quieter.

Would you suggest full suspension or hard tail? Why not a hybrid or a tourer?

You should dress in proper cycling clothes for better comfort - most important is some cycling shorts either the stretchy body fitting type or the baggy type (I prefer the former but some of you may feel shy wearing such shorts). Cycling shorts have a padded insert sown into them - you wear them without any underwear - this helps you feel more comfortable on the saddle.

Haven't you forgot two essentials? Helmet and mitts

Eventually some proper cycling shoes with cleats that click into the pedals are also good to have.

Not all people take to cleats, clips and straps or even half clips are still popular.

I suggest you get a decent quality bike, say 20,000 baht plus. If you can afford 40,000 - 120,000 baht you can get a nice bike that will be lighter and enable you to go faster for the same effort. Riding fast is more fun and so will motivate you to ride more.

You can get a fairly decent but basic bike here in BKK for less than 10,000 Baht! Of course, you can spend a lot more, the top of the range Trek Madone is over 300,000 Baht here but I would not suggest that one as a starter - would you suggest a Ferrari to a new driver if he could afford it? There is too much obsession with price, check the forums - "I have £X thousands to spend on a bike, what should I buy?" Buy one to match your specs and budget, not one to fit your upper price limit! Do not get to bogged down on lightness - one chap on a British cycling forum was thinking about getting a set of wheels costing in excess of £1000 because it will save him 500g so that will help him to power up the hills! Better to lose 500g body weight than to spend £1000. "Riding fast is fun" - you do get a buzz by riding fast, I've clocked over 60mph on a few occasions and several times exceeded 50 but this has to be coupled with experience, road knowledge and safety!

Besides increasing your weekly time on the bike, eventually as your fitness improves, you should aim to ride faster on some of your rides (but not all of them - you have to vary the intensity - i.e. some hard days with some easy days in between to recover). To better guide your workouts you could (should) get a power meter. I recommend a Power Tap which will cost around 40,000 baht - available from the Cannondale bicycle distributor in Bangkok (owed by a Brit named Chris). The power meter will enable you to measure how much power you produce on the bike (besides speed, distance, heart rate, energy, etc). You should download the data after each ride into your computer and use Cycling Peaks software to analyze the data. Then you can see your progress and know how hard or easy to ride each workout. You can (should) also get a coach via internet to help guide you - you can send him your data files via email so that he can monitor your progress and prepare your workout schedules. I use the coaching services of Ric Stern in Wales - www.cyclecoach.com

Do you use a Power Tap hub? There are cheaper ways to get the same data. Do not get bogged down with minute and technical details - it puts people off! Go out and enjoy the ride!

You can learn more by visiting forums like www.cyclingforums.com and a lot of misinformation!

I could write lots more but I hope I have provided enough information for some of you to take the bait, find out more and give it a go.

Good luck.

JB.

Better to lose 500g body weight than to spend £1000.

mr_hippo. Although i 100% agree with most of your last post i have to differ "slightly" on the above statement. Although £1000 is a crazy amount to spend on a wheelset losing 500g of body weight is not the same as losing 500g from the weight of the wheels. You would need to lose a lot more weight and gain strength at the same time. (p.s. if i'm in your area we need to go for a ride together).

As for the Power Tap...Do you have shares in the company Junglebiker? You seem to be pushing it ever so hard. I use a gps which allows me to race against previous times i have ridden, great for where i live as no one else rides offroad and also gives me motivation. But i know it is not for everyone. I could not justify paying 40,000 on a gadget if i was new to biking and already paid out for a new bike. When you are starting out it is easy to monitor progress with a watch to see how long the ride takes you and how long it takes to get your breath back.

The debate about spending £X to save Y grammes has been going on for years between the touring boys and the race boys and will continue to do so! The same applies to the Shimano/Campag (US - Campy) debate!

A good motivational tool - for me - is http://www.bikejournal.com - I only found the site about 6 weeks ago and have only logged my rides since September. I log my rides on and check my progress, at the moment, in the individual standings I am at position 3885 with 1384kms logged since September, I'm trying to get into the low 2000's by year end. In the country stats, Thailand with only one active rider (me) is 37th and currently 366 miles behind Chile in 36th place. Will Thailand be in front of Chile by year end - I'll give it a go! A similar site is - http://www.cyclogs.co.uk - last month I finished in 82nd position, this month, I'm at 31 with 502.56kms logged. Should I try for a top twenty finish this month?

Well done, JungleBiker!

I read your post with interest but I didn't respond simply because I am already a big fan of cycling and for many years have been trying to do at least an hour a day by bike, both in Thailand and back in the UK.

I don't have a Power Meter but I do try to extend myself as much as possible and, after experience of using a heart monitor in the past, I feel I have a good idea of what my body is capable of.

I'm sure I would easily put on weight if I stopped cycling and didn't take any other exercise but the gratifying thing is that my cycling is a labour of love. I know a lot of people who take up fitness programmes, join gyms, etc become disenchanted and bored and find the whole exercise thing a huge pain. Luckily I never feel that way about cycling.

I would heartily endorse your recommendations.

Hi Lawling

Great to hear you also enjoy cycling. Thanks for your appreciation and endorsement.

JB.

Hi Mr Hippo,

Well you are obviously a keen cyclist like myself. That's good. My post was aimed at people who are struggling to lose weight by dieting and perhaps walking on a treadmill in a gym and don't know much about bikes and the benefits of power meters.

As for your questions...

I have never owned/ridden a full suspension bike but believe they are better than hardtails (on rough ground) if you can afford to buy a decent quality one. If you want to ride only on roads then I think no suspension is better (rigid forks). Nothing wrong with a hybrid or a tourer. I was just trying to keep things relatively simple in terms of making decisions and getting on a bike.

Yes I forgot to mention helmet and cycling gloves - thanks for mentioning them. I often tell people that if I didn't wear a helmet I would probably be dead or brain damaged twice over (once on a motorbike and once on a bicycle).

As for cleats - you are right, some people don't like them and they are not necessary. But even so, most serious cyclists to like to use them and consider them to be beneficial.

Regarding prices - you are right, they can vary enormously but please note that I didn't recommend a "Ferrari-like" Trek Madone at 300,000 baht. I suggested that 20,000 baht can buy a decent quality bike; but obviously perception of quality/value depends on the individual. I agree that losing 500g of fat is cheaper than buying lighter bike parts.

"Riding fast" is a relative term. I rarely exceed 55kph (going downhill) never mind your 50mph. But I was thinking more in terms of cruising speed as opposed to top speed. I mean, for example, with a lighter bike its much easier to cruise for an hour at over 30kph than with a heavier bike.

Yes I use a PowerTap hub. Yes there are alternatives but I use a PowerTap and find it very good so I feel confident recommending it. The book that I mentioned in my second post gives information about different types of power meters. If people go out and enjoy the ride without a power meter, then great, I am all for it - and most people who have ridden a bike without a power meter already know if they enjoy it or not. On the other hand I think there may be some people who have tried cycling before and got bored due to lack of feedback/information/structure in their "training"; the power meter is a relatively new technology that may help such people get more out of cycling.

Anyhow I recognize that the information I provided may not be appropriate for everyone, but I hoped that someone, even if only one person, might take my advice and succeed in losing fat. Then for me the time that I spent writing my post would have been worthwhile. That's all.

JB.

As for the Power Tap...Do you have shares in the company Junglebiker? You seem to be pushing it ever so hard. I use a gps which allows me to race against previous times i have ridden, great for where i live as no one else rides offroad and also gives me motivation. But i know it is not for everyone. I could not justify paying 40,000 on a gadget if i was new to biking and already paid out for a new bike. When you are starting out it is easy to monitor progress with a watch to see how long the ride takes you and how long it takes to get your breath back.

Hi Nidge,

Nope, I don't have shares in PowerTap or the Cannondale Distributor or Ric Stern or Amazon.com, etc. Just trying to motivate some people here to take better care of themselves. Your gps is obviously another good motivation tool so why not tell the people more about it, like which model, price, what it can do, etc. Just because you cannot afford 40,000 baht does not mean that some people here cannot; as I said to Mr Hippo my suggestions will not fit everyones circumstances. I think nearly everyone knows about using a watch or better still a regular cycle-computer to measure time, speed, distance, etc, (or even heart rate meters) so not much point in me posting information about that here. I think few people know about power meters so I think there may be some people here (on this non-cycling forum) who could benefit from using one if only they knew they existed. Power meters are cutting edge technology - they are what the pros use when training for the TdF, etc. So I reckon people who have the money and want to lose fat may be interested to use similar technology. The real advantage of a power meter (combined with the software) over a watch/cycle-computer/heart rate meter/gps is that it can tell you how hard you worked out; it can measure it in units (e.g. watts and Total Stress Score) and combined with a coach (and/or the book I recommended) you can know if you are pushing too hard or too easy and you can see how you're improving, etc. It's scientific and objective. Some people like that, some people don't. I do.

JB.

The debate about spending £X to save Y grammes has been going on for years between the touring boys and the race boys and will continue to do so! The same applies to the Shimano/Campag (US - Campy) debate!

Hi Mr Hippo,

Yes, I think keen cyclists like you and I should try to avoid that type of debate on this forum. Let's leave that to the cycling forums.

A good motivational tool - for me - is http://www.bikejournal.com - I only found the site about 6 weeks ago and have only logged my rides since September. I log my rides on and check my progress, at the moment, in the individual standings I am at position 3885 with 1384kms logged since September, I'm trying to get into the low 2000's by year end. In the country stats, Thailand with only one active rider (me) is 37th and currently 366 miles behind Chile in 36th place. Will Thailand be in front of Chile by year end - I'll give it a go! A similar site is - http://www.cyclogs.co.uk - last month I finished in 82nd position, this month, I'm at 31 with 502.56kms logged. Should I try for a top twenty finish this month?

That's great info that I am sure someone here will appreciate. I myself was not aware of these sites but I will now recommend them to others when I can. Thanks!

JB.

JB, i never normally bother to promote my GPS for a number of reasons. e.g. you cannot buy it in Thailand, (except online i guess), and it's occasionally temperamental. Plus i did not guess this thread was going to last more than 5 posts! But anyway here it is. I use a Garmin Edge 205 (about 5000 Baht). It's a bike specific GPS that does not have any maps but instead plots your course measuring almost any data you would require to analyse your ride. If you are willing to spend more money you could chose the Edge 305 which comes with either a cadence sensor or a heart rate monitor. Personally i think that for off road riding both of these are redundant, and i would rather rub salt in my eyes than spend all day riding on the road! But the best 2 uses for the gps are, 1) i can record a ride and then race against it in the future, and 2) i can upload all my rides to Google Earth for free.

On another note, full suspension technology has come on so fast now that there is very little difference between riding a rigid bike and a softtail, (of similar design), on the road, well thai roads anyway. One of my softtails has a "propedal" setting on the rear which makes it rigid for all but the biggest bumps and my other has a full lockout which makes it rigid. (although i forget to switch it back off as soon as i get on the trails so i tend to leave it alone most of the time.

For people that are really passionate about riding as you, mr_hippo and myself seem to be, there are many different opinions on what is best, most efficient, most fun etc and arguments are pointless. But if any thread can get people interested in riding it has to be a worthwhile cause. I hope we can keep this thread active.

Healthy, light-hearted debate in cycling - not futile arguments - have been going on for years and long may they continue! Could I convert nidge into a tourer? Could he persuade me to forgo the road for the trails? I doubt it, the main thing is that we enjoy cycling! We are both winners.

We have all heard that:-

"Cycling in Bangkok/Thailand/any major city is dangerous" - but is it? I am sure that JB, nidge or myself will be willing to take anyone under their wing and teach them to cycle properly - there's a big difference between being able to ride a bike and cycling!

"It's too hot here" - why do you think I rarely cycle in the heat of the day? I'm normally out at first light and back by about 9 o'clock. If I am out later, I adjust my style of riding - slower average speed, more stops and more suncream (my wife is fascinated by my cyclist's tan!).

"You've spent how much on your bike? They're cheaper in Tesco!" If I want a tin of beans, I'll go to Tesco, if I want a bike I'll get one from a bike shop, by the way how much did you spend on that 20 year old car that keeps breaking down?

"You've got two bikes, how many do you need?" It all depends on what I want to do and where I am going and, yes, only two at the moment - the third one is arriving next year!

"Do I have to wear lycra, I look a fool in it!" You don't have to but you will feel a lot more comfortable in it than T-shirt and jeans. Do I look daft in lycra? Possibly but I don't care!

JB, I don't think think nidge said that he could not afford the 40K for a Power tap but that he could not justify spending the money on it.

If you go to youtube and enter in the search hipponokloo, there are a few of my videos, also go to one of my blogs - http://arabcyclist.blogspot.com/ and enjoy the read.

nidge, if you are ever in my area, I'll be pleased to met up with you - the same invitation extends to JB and any cyclist or prospective cyclist!

Edited by mr_hippo

I've been an avid cyclist for years and have ridden in Bangkok for close to ten years. The city streets are a terrible place to ride for the meek or uninitiated; uncaring motorists, smoke from buses, huge gaps in pavement, massive pot holes, stray dogs and few good bike lanes. For the skilled cyclist who is used to city riding, Bangkok's streets are adrenaline filled fun on a good fast bicycle. Actually the street, middle lane/on the line is safer than the far left or any bike lane. The left means taxis, cars turning left and buses will bully you into the curb. In the center lane you must, however, be fast enough to keep a reasonable flow with traffic. On a road bike it is not a problem for me. The most ridiculous development I have witnessed is the set of painted white lines going down the foot paths on Sukhumvit road that is supposed to be a bike lane. I challenge anyone to use the section from Sukhumvit soi 4 to Asoke. Anyway, yes biking is a great way to keep off the weight, but just don't forget the helmet and filter mask. Power meters? Nothing but trouble. I worked in a bike shop in the states and we sold them. Every single customer always comes back with a problem. Usually after riding in the rain. Just ride the bike and forget the stats.

Edited by mbkudu

Guys, since there is obviously so much cycling expertise here, let me ask a question...

I'm a longtime cyclist from Los Angeles. I left my 10 speed 27 in. Schwinn back home when I moved here earlier this year. But I've been thinking about retrieving it when I go back home for Christmas....

My challenge is... I'm not sure I WANT the addrenaline of riding on BKK streets around lower Sukhumvit, and you're right that someone's idea of painting bike lane stripes along the sidewalks there is a joke.

So, question is, is there anyplace accessible around BKK where one can have a reasonably long, clean, clear ride without fear of getting run over by a bus or dropping into a two foot deep pothole??? And, if so, how to get one's bicycle there from perhaps a distant location????

At my former home in Los Angeles, all the public transit buses now have bike racks on the front to enable riders to take their bikes with them. Here, however, I've seen nothing of the kind....

So... should I retrieve my bike from home, and if so, where to ride?

Thanks, John

God, that thing weighs a ton compared to modern road bikes. Those old Schwinn Varsities were made out of plumbing pipes. You can get it over here easily enough. Just go to a bike shop back home and ask them for a cardboard bike box, take off the handlebars, seat/post, pedals and front wheel. Then pack it up with whatever you have: newspaper, clothes, foam, ect. You can also pack other items like books as well. Some airlines charge for it as checked baggage and some don't. Japan Airlines does not. They only charged me a bit because it was over the weight limit. Some airlines charge as much as US$ 50.00. Remember that that bike is a dinosaur. I'd keep it and go through the trouble of putting it on the plane only if you really love it.

For the skilled cyclist who is used to city riding, Bangkok's streets are adrenaline filled fun on a good fast bicycle.

I hope that you are not suggesting adopting the riding style of New York bike messengers! Always obey traffic laws - even if others do not and this includes traffic signals.

Actually the street, middle lane/on the line is safer than the far left or any bike lane. The left means taxis, cars turning left and buses will bully you into the curb. In the center lane you must, however, be fast enough to keep a reasonable flow with traffic.

The left lane is also the home of the p*ncture fairy and it is where the motorist leaves offerings to her - sharp objects that can have a deflating effect on cyclists. Away from busy city centre streets, you will still find the sharp objects but sometimes, you find 'treasure' - tools and coins to name but two.

Anyway, yes biking is a great way to keep off the weight...

Do not weigh yourself every day, when your weight goes up, you will feel despondent as you gain more muscle mass initially

Just ride the bike and forget the stats.

I would suggest a basic cyclo-computer where you cab keep track of your progress - riding time, distance and maybe average speed but there is no need to go over the top with cal burn, watts, etc.

What is the ideal position? As mbkudu has pointed out keep away from the left of the lane (If you are reading this and thinking about cycling in your native country and you drive on the opposite side of the road, please substitute 'right' for 'left' and vice versa) You should only be close to the right of the lane if you are turning right or overtaking and only after you have checked behind and signalled! Now, where does that leave us - the cyclist? On busy streets, use the primary position, just to the left of centre of the lane; on less busy streets, adopt the secondary position - a bit more to the left.

jfchandler - as well as mbkudu's packing suggest, may I suggest protecting your frame by using polystyrene lagging that plumbers use on water pipes - that is if you do decide to bring your Schwinn with you.

I believe that you can take your bike on the BTS and MRT but I have not done it yet. If you let me know how far you would like to go, I may be able to suggest a few, fairly clean routes.

if you are ever in my area, I'll be pleased to met up with you - the same invitation extends to JB and any cyclist or prospective cyclist!

Hi Mr Hippo,

Many thanks for the invitation! By the way, apart from just enjoying cycling I get additional motivation by racing - I like to compete in MTB races. The desire to win is what keeps me training hard and I use the power meter as a tool to help me train efficiently/effectively. I train mostly on roads with a road bike usually around Khon Kaen (where I live) or in Laos (where I work); I'm glad that I don't have to ride in Bangkok.

Power meters? Nothing but trouble. I worked in a bike shop in the states and we sold them. Every single customer always comes back with a problem. Usually after riding in the rain. Just ride the bike and forget the stats.

Hi Mbkudu,

I have read on the forums that PowerTaps used to have a problem with water getting into the hub but that problem has now been solved (with better seals, etc). Heavy or prolonged rain can cause cause water to get between the contacts under the computer on the handlebar but it can be prevented by using waterproof grease or more easily just use a piece of plastic or cling film wrapped over the unit and fastened with a rubber band.

JB.

JB, i never normally bother to promote my GPS for a number of reasons. e.g. you cannot buy it in Thailand, (except online i guess),

Hi Nidge,

I have a Garmin gps also, but not specifically for cycling (I use if for my business). I bought it from the US via internet - the price was much cheaper than here in Thailand. This is where I bought it: http://www.geomangear.com/ (again, I don't have any shares in this company either!). I just went to their site to check the URL and I see there will soon be a new Garmin Edge - the 705 - coming in Jan 2008.

I hope we can keep this thread active.

Well so far this thread seems to be attracting other cyclists rather than people seeking ways to lose fat!

By the way, I often see people riding stationary bikes in the gym. I hate stationary bikes - first of all it's difficult to make them fit comfortably, secondly I find it deadly boring, and thirdly it can get too sweaty compared with riding a moving bike where you continuously have air flowing over your body to evaporate the sweat away and so keep you from overheating. I mention this because some people may be put off from getting a real bike based on their (unpleasant) experience of riding a gym bike.

JB.

Thanks to MBKUDU and Mr_HIPPO for your replies...

Yes, the Schwinn is about 20 years old...and well cared for. But... I'm 6-8 and it's a 27 in. frame with special stainless steel spokes on the wheels because I kept snapping the alloy ones that came with the original bike. And...I've ridden it for years, so I'm kind of partial to it... Not sure what luck I'd have over here finding a bike to fit MY size..... Hard enough in the U.S.

But, as the the offer of routes, yes...I'd very much appreciate any suggestions accessible coming out of lower Sukhumvit. When I rode at home, it was usually in the range of 4-6 hours... 2-3 out and 2-3 back... So...anything in that range...or shorter...would be great. I'm older now....so maybe should learn to relax a bit... And..I don't want to die in the process as another victim of BKK's mean streets!!! :o

Thanks for your advice and suggestions. --John.

Yes, the Schwinn is about 20 years old...and well cared for. But... I'm 6-8 and it's a 27 in. frame with special stainless steel spokes on the wheels because I kept snapping the alloy ones that came with the original bike. And...I've ridden it for years, so I'm kind of partial to it... Not sure what luck I'd have over here finding a bike to fit MY size..... Hard enough in the U.S.

But, as the the offer of routes, yes...I'd very much appreciate any suggestions accessible coming out of lower Sukhumvit. When I rode at home, it was usually in the range of 4-6 hours... 2-3 out and 2-3 back... So...anything in that range...or shorter...would be great. I'm older now....so maybe should learn to relax a bit... And..I don't want to die in the process as another victim of BKK's mean streets!!! :D

Totally understand about loving your bike.

I had one that I spent a year touring on. It was a real cheapo. I ended up buying a much newer nicer bike, but I always missed that bike. Sure wish I hadn't given it to my younger sister who did not have the same attachment to it and eventually destroyed it.

If you love it, keep it around. If people ask you why you ride such an old clunker, you can launch into a long story about all the adventures you had on it :o

The only thing that I can add to that is pay a visit to your LBS and buy some spokes - yours may or may not be available here and pick up any spares that you think you may need. Before I forget - you will be better getting your cycling clothing over there.

But, as the the offer of routes, yes...I'd very much appreciate any suggestions accessible coming out of lower Sukhumvit. When I rode at home, it was usually in the range of 4-6 hours... 2-3 out and 2-3 back... So...anything in that range...or shorter...would be great. I'm older now....so maybe should learn to relax a bit... And..I don't want to die in the process as another victim of BKK's mean streets!!! :o

I'm not that young either, warranty expired, sell-by-date long since gone and I'm falling apart! Before, I used to specialise in long steady distance riding - 100-150 miles per day. Now due to age, traffic and heat, my normal daily ride is restricted to one hour out, one hour back but do occasionally extend it.

Did you check out my videos on youtube?

Hi John,

In view of your special frame size I would definitely bring your bike over here. I think you should be able to find spokes here no problem, most spokes here are stainless steel not alloy, but it wouldn't do any harm to bring some spares as Mr Hippo suggests. In general i think you'll find spare parts are much cheaper here than back home. If you want to buy shimano at cheap prices don't buy from the authorized distributor (ProBike) buy from one of the local bike shops (they get parts via the grey market). I get good prices at Bike Center in Khon Kaen (tel 08942232123 - it's cheap to send stuff via EMS in country and easy to pay via ATM). I am sure there are many similar shops in Bangkok. Many of them are advertised in the monthly cycling magazine called "Sports Street" (in Thai but phone numbers are in English!). I don't have a problem with security because I keep my bikes at home except when riding and then I am on the bike - I only leave it alone for a few minutes when I pop into a 7-11 to refuel and then I can see it through the windows. I don't use it for shopping, communting, etc.

JB.

27" bike? This number can mean a couple different things. If the wheels are 27" that is roughly the same size as a 700c road bike wheel. 27" is the older (odd now) sized wheel. a 27" tire will not fit on a 700c wheel.

Road (drop bar bikes) frames are measured in centimeters. Mine is 53cm from center to center (seat tube top to center of bottom bracket (pedal crank axle). This the typical size for someone 5'11" to 6'.

Mountain bikes are measured in inches, so a typical mountain bike for someone 6' tall is a 19" frame. A 27" frame would be <deleted> huge; someone about 7' tall. If it really is a 27" frame bike, you might have trouble getting it in a box and on the plane.

Confused yet? Modern bikes use inches, millimeters and centimeters. The nuts and bolts are in mm (but old Schwinns and Huffys used standard sizes), the frames in either cm or inches, the headsets in inches: 1", 1 1/8" and 1 1/4", the seat posts in mm (several sizes), the bottom bracket threads can be either English or Italian threads (or the very odd French), and the rest of the measurements pretty much mm. It all has to do with the history of bikes; American, English and French bikes and their measurements.

Edited by mbkudu

Measurments are in imperial or metric depending on the manufacturer and type. Trek measure their race series in cms but their tourer in inches. With sloping tube frames, size is measured from bottom bracket to an imaginary point where the cross bar would have been, non-sloping is still generally measured against the seat tube. There have, over the years, been many formulas to work out the correct frame size - one was "inside leg (ins) - 10 inches". The only waw to ensure a good fit is to sit on the bike and even then there may have to be some tweaking - different crank lengths, longer/shorter stem. Years ago, the tallest 'off the peg' bike was 23.5", now most go up to 25" and occassionally 26" My current road bike is a 25 inch frame Nashbar.

As mbkudu says accessories now are nearly always metric - before it could be metric, AF, Whitworth, BSP or even manufacturer's own peculiar size - Raleigh and Phillips spring to mind - or even a mixture!

Some manufacturers have caught on to the fact that ladies are of slightly different body proportions to men and are noe producing designs speciaslly for women and Georgina Terry has been producing cycles designed for ladies for over 20 years!

kenbird.jpg

A Ken Bird frame made for a 7' 3" rider

Edited by mr_hippo

Alright then, good luck getting it into a box. :D BTW, that frame above is a freak of nature.

:o i agree. It look like it was bashed hard with an ugly stick. But if the rider is 7'3" i'd never tell it too his face!

Guys...thanks for all the advice and comment...

Re my bike size... yes... It's a 27 inch frame, and yes... when I said 6-8, I meant I'm 6 feet and 8 inches tall with very long legs. So...none of the traditional size bike frames came/come close to fitting me. The 27 in Schwinn was the largest I could find at the time when I was shopping long ago, and it fits me great without any major modifications re the seat or handlebars.

It's not a mountain or road bike or whatever they're called, but rather the traditional 10-speed style with (I think) 1 inch tires at about 90 psi.... Mine is all black...and I like to think pretty sleek looking. It may be made from 'plumbing pipe" as someone said above. But it gets me around town pretty fast and smoothly. Just for fun and fitness. Thanks, John.

Whilst admitting that the Ken Bird frame is not the prettiest, it was built for a purpose! How would you redesign it for appearance/safety? You could extend the head and seat tubes of a 25" frame but that would not be too stable. This is what Ken possibly done and then added an extra top tube - didn't look too good but solved the whip/flex problem, let's angle the original top tube - that looks better!

As for tyres - a personal view - I run my road bike on 700x25 and occasionally on 700x23 (both just under one inch) and my Trek on 26x1.5. With your size and Bangkok's roads, you may feel more comfortable running on 1.5s rather the 1s

bike002.jpgkenbird.jpg

I have just 'extended' my road bike to suit a 7' 3" rider to what I think Ken Bird may have originally planned. I ought to have lengthened it as well! Not very pretty, is it? Does not look stable either. We could add an extra seat stay from the new top tube but that would look too 'busy' at the back or just have one long seat stay. Now which one would you prefer? Mine looks too top heavy and unstable.