1st Class Train, Power Socket?

mart29

Taking the train soon from bangkok to butterworth, 1st class for the overnight part, anyone know if there is a power socket in the cabin?

also at the station in bangkok they wouldnt sell me the hat yai to butterworth section and said i would get it at hat yai, is this normal?

thanks in advance.

Hi,

For your info. The International Butterworth - Bangkok Express have only 2nd Class coaches.

There is no 1st Class compartments for this International Express.

However, Thai trains travelling to and fro from Bangkok to Hatyai do have 1st Class compartments. There are only 12 First class compartments in one coach.

Only one coach. You have to book early........ only 12 private compartments.

The three second class coaches (International Express) will be detached at Padang Besar

border crossing and the three special coaches will be then attached to Malaysian Railways

and will proceed right up to Butterworth, Malaysia. Opposite Butterworth is the island of Penang. Have a pleasant trip.

Hi,

For your info. The International Butterworth - Bangkok Express have only 2nd Class coaches.

There is no 1st Class compartments for this International Express.

However, Thai trains travelling to and fro from Bangkok to Hatyai do have 1st Class compartments. There are only 12 First class compartments in one coach.

Only one coach. You have to book early........ only 12 private compartments.

The three second class coaches (International Express) will be detached at Padang Besar

border crossing and the three special coaches will be then attached to Malaysian Railways

and will proceed right up to Butterworth, Malaysia. Opposite Butterworth is the island of Penang. Have a pleasant trip.

thanks for your reply, i know mate ive already booked the first class compartment there and back at the hualamphong station in bangkok, where the staff were just excellent.

i really just want to know if there is a power socket so i can run my laptop to do some work while im traveling. also to know if its normal to buy the ticket from hat yai to butterworth at hat yai.

thanks

Yep, there are power outlets. One outlet for each 4 seats/beds. Located on the vertical pillar between the bays. Only problem is they don't all work!

Sorry-don't know if its normal about buying the HatYai/Butterworth ticket in HY when coming from Bangers as I always travel to either Bangers or to Butterworth with HY as my departure point as I live in Songkhla Province.

Enjoy the trip. Cheers Rick

Yep, there are power outlets. One outlet for each 4 seats/beds. Located on the vertical pillar between the bays. Only problem is they don't all work!

Sorry-don't know if its normal about buying the HatYai/Butterworth ticket in HY when coming from Bangers as I always travel to either Bangers or to Butterworth with HY as my departure point as I live in Songkhla Province.

Enjoy the trip. Cheers Rick

thanks mate thats excellent to know, all i need is one working so i hope there will be one. thanks for your help

As one who works on the railways here in Ireland, please make sure you have surge protection for your laptop.

Remember where you're getting your power from - a dirty great big generator - which may or may not be subject to surges during the journey.

The last thing you need is for your laptop to be rubbished before your eyes.

Enjoy your journey _ I love train journeys.

• 3 years later...

Hi OP and others.

One of the best information sources for Thailand trains (including those going south to Butterworth and beyond) is seat61.com. A death of information with pictures, schedule and fare information, and good general knowledge to make your trip more comfortable.

David

Edited by Genericnic