What Happened To The Pattaya Beach Bus?

edwardandtubs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the bus route has been very successful. It appears that all the people who cry and complain about the baht buses are still using the baht buses. :o

They don't run often enough and they are very poor at PR in promoting/explaining their services.

We want TAXI METERS as an alternative to baht buses, so the complaining really isn't about the lack of another bus service.

I just need a way of getting along Sukhumvit Road where the baht buses don't go. I'll keep a lookout for them this week.

There are Baht Busses at Sukhumvit Road. Sometimes I take one from Naklua to Sri Racha. Total fare for the trip (no surcharge because I am Farang) 20 Baht !. There are also Baht Busses going the other way (i.e. direction of Sattahip).

I just need a way of getting along Sukhumvit Road where the baht buses don't go. I'll keep a lookout for them this week.

There are Baht Busses at Sukhumvit Road. Sometimes I take one from Naklua to Sri Racha. Total fare for the trip (no surcharge because I am Farang) 20 Baht !. There are also Baht Busses going the other way (i.e. direction of Sattahip).

Yes I have used them also in that area...amazing value and so convenient. :o

I really need one that stops around the junction with Pattaya Klang and none of the baht buses do that.

Baht buses are the most efficient/cheapest transport in Patters. No need for metered taxi(s) IMHO. :o

Speak for yourself!

Lots of us want them very badly. As an ALTERNATIVE, not a replacement. You don't have to take them, plenty of us will use them for trips when we are hauling things, when we are going off the baht bus tracks, trips to the hospital, in the rain and heat, etc etc. Freedom of choice, how can you be so arrogant as to oppose that?

Edited by Jingthing

^^don't oppose them, but I'm a realist - u won't see taxi(s) anytime soon mate regardless of how much u whinge. :o

Yes, it is unlikely. Doesn't mean we don't need and want them. A poll a while back here showed a huge majority in favor of taxi meters being offered here.

Although my usual mode of transportation has been my own two feet, I have from time to time done the motorbike taxi and lived to tell about it! :D

Those aren't taxis, they are thrill rides.

I've been on a few thrill rides in my life, and fortunately the motorbike experience is just one of many that I've survived to tell my friends about! :o

Yep, moto taxis are just the thing for that Russian family bopping around town. I will never understand this resistance to the option of Bangkok style taxi meters in Pattaya and implied support of the baht bus mafia.

Edited by Jingthing

If real taxis, with doors, windows, room for a full size adult, air con, seatbelts etc. were available, I would hope to never go near a baht bus.

Unfortunately, I have to use these overpriced havens of pickpockets and vomiting tourists.

I agree that real taxis are not likely here for some time. But I can hope.

kdf

Yes, we can hope. But we can also speak up and make it clear that many people want them and would most certainly use them. The Pattaya tourism and government officials CLAIM they want to make Pattaya a more respectable, mainstream, even family friendly resort. This is one concrete thing they can do to solidify Pattaya's entry into the big leagues of international beach resorts. Pattaya Taxi Meters, NOT controlled and owned by the baht bus mafia as happened in Chiang Mai. Ones that actually use their meters UNDER LAW with similar fare structure to Bangkok taxi meters. Speak up. It will take years but passive acceptance of the mafia will only delay this major civic improvement.

And don't forget taxi meters would be great for many businesses. For example, if you own a restaurant in the Pratumnak hill or Third Road area (not served by baht buses) with taxis you could place nice ads with taxi maps and your business would instantly be accessible to a much large pool of customers.

Edited by Jingthing

Phuket doesnt have metered taxi(s) so I see no chance Patters will get them. Enjoy the baht bus - its a lovely experience. :o

Pattaya is a densely populated city. Phuket is a city and a large island. Pattaya is close to Bangkok. Your logic and comparison to Phuket does not compute. The only resistance is the MAFIA.

Edited by Jingthing

Mafia is present in Phuket big time, so its related. :D

Anyways... WE LOVE THE BAHT BUS, say it LOUD, and say it PROUD!!! :D

Fine. WE LOVE THE BAHT BUS.

but

WE ALSO LOVE THE TAXI METER, but it a challenge to love something that doesn't exist.

Go to Bangers, plenty taxi meter there to love. :o