Toyota Avanza

Bought one a year ago it's a 1.3S and have done about 16000 klms.The car goes very well considering the size of the engine,most of the time we use it locally but last month we had 6 large adults and 5 large suit cases on a roof rack and it cruised easily 160 klms down to Pattaya.

The same 5 passengers were in a fortuner I rented in Phuket and they reckoned it was easier to get in and out of the rear row of seats in the Avanza and thought there was more room.

My only criticism is the rear suspension,the shock absorbers are not up to the job and when going over a bump you get a lot of rebound bounce which is very annoying.I have been in touch with a company in the UK who make gas adjustable shockers and can custom make to fit most cars,I am back in the UK today and have ordered a pair which I will get fitted when I return in Dec and will let you know if it cures the problem.

Overall I am happy with the car It's economical and sits high off the ground which is very useful around central Thailand at the moment with the flooding,its has stacks of room inside and the rear air con is great for the rear passengers.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought one 18 months ago and already made 35000Kms, it's not a car for long travel ( but I made 1500kms in one day without problems )or high speed driving but I enjoy it in the everyday use, lot of inside room, cheap price,... the main concern is the absorbers that I will change soon, already change tyres to michelin and the situation improve.

If you want a cheap car, have a family, need space and make short distance trip it's perfect.

@ cleverD : please let me know about the new shockers.

Paid a deposit for one at Toyota before they arrived in Thailand..

When they arrived and were ready for sale there was a problem for me, there just was no space or anywhere to put my left foot.. I bought a Honda Jazz instead which has more room inside and far more driver space with a left foot rest as well as loads of space to easy past the brake peddle.

No idea if the new 1.5 [different looking front] has addressed this problem..

• 1 month later...

Just fitted the Gas adjustable rear shock absorbers and it has transformed the car.No more annoying bounce over speed bumps or potholes and it makes the car feel far more sure footed on the road.When travelling long distance I used to travel at 90/100 kph which felt safe,now 120kph feels very solid and safe.There are 28 settings from soft to hard by turning a small knob in clicks in a clockwise direction which can be done anytime when fitted to the car,I turned mine to 10 and that feels hard enough but if you keep turning you can have very hard sports suspension.

They are made by a company called Spax and are made to order and are not cheap at about £150 a pair but in my opinion the best money I have spent on this car!!!

Just fitted the Gas adjustable rear shock absorbers and it has transformed the car.No more annoying bounce over speed bumps or potholes and it makes the car feel far more sure footed on the road.When travelling long distance I used to travel at 90/100 kph which felt safe,now 120kph feels very solid and safe.There are 28 settings from soft to hard by turning a small knob in clicks in a clockwise direction which can be done anytime when fitted to the car,I turned mine to 10 and that feels hard enough but if you keep turning you can have very hard sports suspension.

They are made by a company called Spax and are made to order and are not cheap at about £150 a pair but in my opinion the best money I have spent on this car!!!

Shame you had to spend this much money for a imported shocks when they are available in Worachak of the rack for half the price!

BB

• 12 years later...
On 12/24/2007 at 6:20 AM, Badbanker said:

Shame you had to spend this much money for a imported shocks when they are available in Worachak of the rack for half the price!

BB

How much would those shocks be now bought(and fitted) in or around Hua Hin? 

My regular taxi lady has a Avanza and the suspension is really bad and very uncomfortable on my back. It may be that the current  ones are faulty but if they need changing then she should invest in better shock absorbers if she's a taxi running farangs about. Ok, she's been quiet a few months but she's already picking up quite nicely 

Let me know please guys thanks 

2 minutes ago, thecolonel said:

My regular taxi lady has a Avanza and the suspension is really bad and very uncomfortable on my back. It may be that the current  ones are faulty but if they need changing then she should invest in better shock absorbers if she's a taxi running farangs about. Ok, she's been quiet a few months but she's already picking up quite nicely 

Isn't the Avanza based upon the low rider 2wd hilux ?

Should be plenty of options locally available.

Whatever its based on it's a seriously uncomfortable ride! 

I'll check out some options locally 

Thanks 

On 12/24/2007 at 6:20 AM, Badbanker said:

BB