"thai Visa" Doom3 Server Now Up

Ian_B

Went out and got my legit copy so I can play online.

I've created my own server and called it "Thai Visa" - hope nobody minds :o

Tested it this morning and it's fine... pings of 50ms and smooth

Come and get some!! Suck it down etc :D

Ian

I bought a legit version .. and deeply regret it.

All I got for my honesty was a window popping up "CD/DVD emulation software has been detected. Please disable all CD/DVD emulation software and re-start the game".

I have nothing of the kind running. I'm computer litterate but I really haven't the faintest clue what they are on about. Last time I buy original software, thats for sure.

Pirates seems to have easily gotten around whatever tricks they tried but bona fida users are screwed.

Ive got it, finally.

Played about 10 mins, lets just say i was running for my life and regretted having the lights down low, crashed out a few times so im just scouring around for some technical info. If i find anything useful for you madsere, i'll post or PM links to you.

Looks good, feels great, but as with anything its gunna take a little while to iron out the bugs :o Looking forward to some online play.

A few things ive found whilst searching the offical Doom3 forums,

1. the game stresses gfx cards far more than any other game out there, a lot of people have experienced over heating problems and the game crashes. Out here in thailand i guess that problem is going to be worse. Suggest putting a desk fan next to the open PC case if your getting crashing problems.

2. Update your gfx drivers, some of the card manufacturers have started to release beta drivers for doom3, might be worth trying one if your getting crashing problems or poor fps.

Heres the link to the offical Offical Doom3 forum homepage, theres also a decent tweak guide on there to tweak a few of the settings...

In the 2 weeks I've had the game I've not had 1 crash. I'm using the latest ATI beta drivers deveoped just for Doom3. The performance gain enabled me to play it silky smooth at 800x600 (I'm using 128Mb Radeon 9600XT)

Been downloading a few custom maps, including some ports of the original Doom 1&2 levels. Great fun.

Not a game for replaying though as I know where the shocks are now... still I must have had about 30hrs from it.

In the 2 weeks I've had the game I've not had 1 crash. I'm using the latest ATI beta drivers deveoped just for Doom3. The performance gain enabled me to play it silky smooth at 800x600 (I'm using 128Mb Radeon 9600XT)

Been downloading a few custom maps, including some ports of the original Doom 1&2 levels.  Great fun.

Not a game for replaying though as I know where the shocks are now... still I must have had about 30hrs from it.

I also have the 9600XT. Are you running it on Medium or High settings? I just picked up the game and I've been running it on medium detail at 1024 x 768 with AA turned off. This has been ok but I have yet to experiment with it.

Did you set the console to show your FPS rate? To activate the console, your press ctrl+alt+~ at the game menu. Then you type in: set com_showFPS"1". The FPS counter should immediately pop up in the right hand corner. On my settings above I've been maintaining over 30FPS on average (I know this isn't that great but its playable). I have also downloaded the latest ATI catalyst Radeon Driver.

My Specs:

2.6 mhz P4

512 DDR RAM

ATI 9600XT RADEON 128MB

120 GB HD

SBLive 5.1

AMD 1800+, 512MB RAM, GeForce 4 MX 440 .... and I still only get 2-5 FPS in lowest settings. Hey, this sucks!

If you haven't already, download the latest driver for your card at www.nvidia.com. If you can't get around 25FPS on the Lowest setting then take a look here for a potential replacement for your video card:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/2...9/doom3-04.html

Traitors....Unreal Tournament is far superior to any online FPS created in the last 5 years. The graphics aren't great anymore, but the gameplay is incredible. I have tried many, many games and its the only computer game I play regularly (practically every day...great stress relief).

AMD 1800+, 512MB RAM, GeForce 4 MX 440 .... and I still only get 2-5 FPS in lowest settings. Hey, this sucks!

FS: Doom 3, original boxed set. 500 baht. Inquire within.

Its your GFX card thats letting you down. Thats a pretty old crappy card by todays standards. Your lucky the game loads at all to be honest.

Replace the card, then you will find things improving. My 9700pro with 128mg ram is stretched sometimes by the game, so look for something the same spec or slightly higher, shouldnt be expensive now.

Well I bought that GeForce 4 less than a year ago so if the game requires more than that I'll play something else .... Yeah I know, I'm not hard core enough :o

I tried Doom 3, crappy FPS and all, and frankly it's not all that much better than Half Life IMO ... and that runs like 50+ FPS on the same hardware.

FS: Doom 3, original boxed set. 500 baht. Inquire within.

I agree with Wolfie - once you play it on a good 3D card you'll change your opinion. The ingame graphics are the same quality as of cut-scene movie intros from 1-2 years ago. Just think in another 2 years (the next Unreal engine looks fantastic)

You bought that card within the last 12 months? Must have been an end of stock sale or something, sorry but for game purposes a "GeForce 4 MX 440" would be hard pressed to run anything produced in 2003/2004. I had one of those about 2-3 years ago (if its the same card, might have been a lower version) and i couldnt even get decent FPS out of games with it back then.

Once its running on a decent spec machine, Doom3 is very nice, slick, looks great and darn scarey (just the "jump" factor as stuff comes bursting thro the walls at you)

oh and Halflife/Unreal etc are all just Doom clones :o

No end-of-stock sale, t'was in fact the top model at the time.

Anyway, so assuming I buy a GeForce 6800 Ultra (what'd that cost in Pantip/Tukcom anyway?) - will the rest of the PC (AMD XP 1800+, 512 MB) be enough to cream it?

yeah i guess the rest of your pc should be fine for it, similar spec to myself.

Mine gets a bit "laggy" when im getting jumped by 4-5 monsters, but generally its ok and very playable.

New GFX card is all you really need by the looks of the specs you posted, not so sure on the price

I bought my 9700pro 128mg for 18k about 9mths ago, i remember seeing a price list somewhere which quoted 15k, probably closer 13k now.

Its a good card, it will last you for a while. Try to get a 256mg card if you can, obviously the more mem the better

Went out and got my legit copy so I can play online.

I've created my own server and called it "Thai Visa" - hope nobody minds :o

Tested it this morning and it's fine... pings of 50ms and smooth

Come and get some!! Suck it down etc :D

Ian

What time are you usually on-line? I have been looking for ya. I only found a few good servers so far and those with low lag have been great fun.

I can't keep the the server on all the time as I need to check my mail etc. I too have been playing on other peoples server and have had mixed results.

I'm usually online around 7-8pm

7pm tonight anyone?

I can't keep the the server on all the time as I need to check my mail etc. I too have been playing on other peoples server and have had mixed results.

I'm usually online around 7-8pm

7pm tonight anyone?

How about later at night? 10 pm and after?