Does Anyone Live Near Nam Phong

Padkapow Guy

Does anyone live near Nam Phong?

The company I work for is building a new plant there. Next to the Phoenix Pulp & Paper Co. I have a slim chance of getting over there to start the plant up. I spent 6 months in Tha Toom(Prachin Buri ) starting that plant up, but now that the Thai Operators know what they are doing the company will be sending them to start the new plant up. It will save them alot of money in labor and airfare.

I was kind of curious as to what it is like around Nam Phong. Prachin Buri is the farthest north that I have been in Thailand.

PKG

Yes, I live about fifteen km north of Nam Phong, and see Phoenix every time that I drive down to Khon Kaen.

I passed right by Phoenix a few years ago and think that there was some housing near the main gate. Not a lot, though.

There is a nice, sensible little town ship on the highway (Highway 2) about 4km to the east of Phoenix, and you would find accomodation there pretty easily.

There is also a slightly bigger township about ten km west of Phoenix, not far from the Ubonratana dam, golf course and restaurant.

If you are not working lots of overtime, it would be practical to stay in Khon Kaen and travel to Phoenix each day (especiallyif your company provides you with a vehicle).

If it looks likely that you will get the job and want some more specific help ahead of arrival, just PM me.

Kuhn Kadkapow -- 'Plant' is a very vague term -- however many may not know is that the location you describe is one of the few onshore gas reserves in Thialand -- this from The Nation (16 FEB 2007):

Piyasvasti opens Phu Horm gas field

Phu Horm, a natural-gas development and production project in the Northeast, has officially started production at the rate of 100 million standard cubic feet of gas per day.

Energy Minister Piyasvasti Amranand presided yesterday over the inauguration of the Phu Horm gas field. Maroot Mrigadat, the president of PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP), also attended the ceremony.

Phu Horm actually started production on November 30 last year at the rate of 60 million standard cubic feet of natural gas per day. Today, the production rate has risen to 100 million. The gas is sold to PTT, which in turn sells it to Nam Phong Electricity Generating Plant under a 15-year agreement to produce electricity for the Northeast.

Maroot said Phu Horm was an important energy source for the production of electricity in the Northeast. He added that PTTEP had a plan to develop other exploration and production projects under concessions it received from the Mineral Fuels Department, so that the Northeast would have a supplementary long-term energy source.

The Phu Horm project is situated in Udon Thani and Khon Kaen provinces, about 45 kilometres north of the Nam Phong generating plant. It covers an area of 231.6 square kilometres.

Hess (Thailand) is the operator, with a 35-per-cent interest. Partners include Apico with a 35-per-cent stake, PTTEP with 20 per cent, and ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Khorat with 10 per cent.

And for those more geo-technically minded:

Amerada Hess (Thailand) drilled the Phu Horm-4 and Phu Horm-5 appraisal wells at the Phu Horm structure in Exploration Blocks EU1 and E5N in Udon Thani and Khon Kaen. The company used the underbalanced drilling technique, which had worked well at Phu Horm-3, where natural gas was discovered in fractured limestone. Production tests at both wells yielded flow rates of 40 and 30 MMcfd respectively. The company plans to produce natural gas from Phu Horm Field, pipe it to Nam Phong Power Plant, Khon Kaen, and substitute a major portion of the Nam Phong gas, which had dwindled in volume so much that its electricity generating efficiency had deteriorated.

So although my years in the USA E&P was mostly financial, I also live in KK if you would care to PM.

The Phu Horm gasfield development is an excellent example of how major works can be carried out in a way that is sensitive to the environment.

It was only by chance that I heard about it and went exploring to find it. It has been made so unobtrusive that it wasn't easily tracked down.

There must be hundreds of visitors to the Phu Foilum park who never realise that there are drill holes sucking gas from far below their feet.

Kuhn Kadkapow -- 'Plant' is a very vague term -- however many may not know is that the location you describe is one of the few onshore gas reserves in Thialand -- this from The Nation (16 FEB 2007):

The plant that they will be building is a (PCC} Precipatated Calcuim Carbonate Satellite plant. It's is designed to be built on site of a paper mill to eliminate the need for transporting the PCC. It is shipped via pipeline straight to the paper machine.

PCC is used as a filler for paper mills all across the world. It is a small operation usually with 5 or 6 operator and 1 maint man. The operator must be kinda of a "Jack of all trades" as he will have to do just about all the duties required to operate and maintain the plant. Production, testing, preventative maint, purchasing, u-factor reports, weekly reports to corporate, data entry into oracle , customer relations and many more responsibilities.

It is relatively small potatoes compare to the plants you described.It is pretty small and harmless, but one good thing is it saves on the use of trees in the paper making process.

I just hope I can get the chance to start that plant up.

PKG