Rosetta Stone Thai Language Software

withnail

Hi. I don't have Rosetta Stone, but a friend of mine who worked for USAID here for a number of years used it and said it was great for him. I've heard some negative feedback though too.

I would suggest, if you are in Thailand...hire someone for lessons. You'll have much better results since they can adjust their lesson plan for you and you are also it's harder to not do a lesson...since you are dealing with a live person, and not a computer.

If you're not in Thailand, then go to a wat. I was in Washington DC and there was a wat there giving free Thai lessons. Heard that this is common for monks to learn English.

Good luck.

It is also on Kazaa/overnet/edonkey but I guess the 2 last ones share the same files as emule.

I´ve got this course, didn´t get it from the internet though, so I don´t know which version you will get there.

In order to run the program I had to switch the compatibility on the *.exe file to windows 98, as my OS is XP Prof.

I like it and the user interface, but if you are at an intermediate level you won´t need it.

You may want to know that Matthew Courage recently has launched the second version of his software: Thai Interactive Course 2. This is much more extensive than the Rosetta Stone and takes you to a higher level.

http://www.alphasoft.cc/thai_v2/thai_2.htm

Cheers

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Hey. I have this software and would give it a mixed review. It is entirely in Thai, and begins with asking you to match pictures to words. You learn this vocabulary by trial and error, and add to it as it provides longer sentences. There's also a reading function - see the word and the picture and match them, and a speaking function - hear ther word and say it back to computer and have it "graded" by the machine. There's also a book, but it's also entirely in Thai.

I'd suggest the package will be very frustrating for a very-first-time learner, because you won't have a clue what to listen for, or what the structures are you are hearing. That said, I've since taken some actual Thai lessons since getting the package and it seeming much more attractive as a vocabulary reinforcement tool, for listening practice, and its pronunciation fuction (this feature won it some prizes).

People have different styles of learning and if you are geared towards *hearing*, you may find the system useful to start with; if you have a different style (visual, abstract, physical), I suspect it will be very frustrating. I *would* give it a look once you have learned some actual thai and want some homework tools. AT least that's what I think about it so far. I do think they could have written their book in English, though. (Software instructions are in English, BTW, just not their lesson book).