Us Tourist Visa For Wife

I have read a great number of posts regarding tourist visas for Thai wives and girlfriends. It seems income is of paramount importance. I met my wife six years ago and we married two years ago. Not long after I met her, I had her quit her job and began to support her as her salary was minimal by US standards and not a problem for me. We have since built a home that I anticipate for retirement in a few years and it is in her name. She uses an ATM card linked to my US account for support and handling the monthly bills of our home. We have a visa interview in two weeks so that she can make her first visit to the US for Christmas. Can the US Embassy be so ignorant as to think providing support for one's wife is reason to deny a visa? The home and car are in her name and she has a daughter attending school. So many posts indicate abritrary and quick judgements by the Embassy staff.

Also, should there be a problem, can one make an appoointment with a consular office to contest a decision? Has anyone ever contacted a congresman to apply a little persuasion? (Payback time for all those political contributions - the American Way!)

Appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that “income is of paramount importance”. What is of paramount importance is ties to Thailand that show an overwhelming reason to return. The situation you describe does not show ties to Thailand but does show ties to the US (I am assuming you live in the US). The consulate will assume that your wife, if given the visa, will apply for change of status after entering the US, which she is entitled to do as the spouse of a US citizen, thereby bypassing the normal immigration process, something the staff take as a personal insult. I think there is a very good chance you will be refused. I hope I am wrong.

To my knowledge, decisions are not appeal able, you can only apply again with additional documentation. I doubt that a congressman will get involved in tourist visa.

TH

As said you need to convince the Consulate that her trip is a short visit. As two years have passed since marriage that should be a good indication (as they are looking for people trying to shortcut the normal waiting period for immigrant visa entry). Letters from your family may help to establish this is a holiday visit. Try to show a strong relationship to child providing a reason for return - establish they live together and you support all. And yes you can ask for congressional review and the officer will be required to answer there questions. The most important thing is to come across as providing honest answers in my view. I would make the application and be prepared to explain your situation of working overseas until you can afford to retire here.

I am 30 - my wife is 20 we have been married for 8 months and have a baby

she has no formal education and no profession and no income (she is hill tribe with Thai ID)

everything she has I support her

She was awarded a US tourist visa no problem

They just want to see that you can take care of yourself and your wife and that there is good reason for her to return. I am sure the falang baby squirming in her arms during the interview didnt hurt either

I think they turn down cases where it is obvious a girl is taking a falang for a ride to get to US/get a payday.

Bring pictures and make sure to remind her not to lie or fib. Thais have a tendecny to tell non-truths even if the truth is ok. Like for example - where did you meet. Maybe you met at the park - but she says you met at the restaurant. Or when did you meet. they will want an exact answer. If you have known each other for 4 years and your wife says 5 years then there is a problem. How long have you been married? Make sure to tell them the offical legal wedding date - not the village ceremony date.

I know the thais dont mean harm in answering like this, but they just dont have the same concept of truth as Westerners.

They will cross check stories to find stupid fibs and disqualify based on this.

Good Luck!

she has no formal education and no profession and no income (she is hill tribe with Thai ID)

They just want to see that you can take care of yourself and your wife and that there is good reason for her to return. I am sure the falang baby squirming in her arms during the interview didnt hurt either

I think they turn down cases where it is obvious a girl is taking a falang for a ride to get to US/get a payday.

Bring pictures and make sure to remind her not to lie or fib. Thais have a tendecny to tell non-truths even if the truth is ok. Like for example - where did you meet. Maybe you met at the park - but she says you met at the restaurant. Or when did you meet. they will want an exact answer. If you have known each other for 4 years and your wife says 5 years then there is a problem. How long have you been married? Make sure to tell them the offical legal wedding date - not the village ceremony date.

I know the thais dont mean harm in answering like this, but they just dont have the same concept of truth as Westerners.

Good Luck!

Just to make sure the full storey is told, where you living in Thailand at the time your wife got the tourist visa. Did you have a work permit?

TH

Good Luck!

Just to make sure the full storey is told, where you living in Thailand at the time your wife got the tourist visa. Did you have a work permit?

TH

Yes I am in Thailand and have been so for the past 5 years. the first 3 years on tourist visas the last 2 years on business visas. No work permit - no work in thailand - - :o

she showed her bank book which had about 50k - I didnt show any of my books.