Battle Horse Golf Course

phutoie2

Hello all, anyone played at the Army base in Petchabun?? I think it is called Battle Horse.

Apparently its cheap and popular with ex-pats, as its about 1-1/2 hours drive from our town, thinking of giving it a bash.

Edited by phutoie2

:o Well to answer my own post. Went with my regular golf buddy last Friday up to Petchabun.

The course is sign posted in English (Battle Horse Golf Club) as you drive into the town up Highway 21. A very large Thai army barracks on the left hand side of road. MP's at the check post friendly and no problem getting in, funny how the military never seem too bothered, we also play at a Thai air force base in Tak- li and never been asked for ID either..

The club house, course and driving range are all together only a few minutes from check point.

The course is 9 holes, usual set up of, 5 x par 4, 2 x par 3 and 2 x par 5's. The signature hole is probably hole number 3, a par 3, requiring a carry from tee shot of 140/50 yards over a lake. Scary for a novice!

In fact nearly all tee shots need to be fairly accurate as water hazards, ditches and some OB on most holes.

Greens were slowish as some maintenance being done, but a nice challenging course.

Familiar army of caddies greet you on arrival at driving range, nice and chatty and are mainly Army wives or daughters of.

Costs, 140 baht for 9 holes, 60 baht for caddy and then the tip afterwards.

Met a group of ex-pats (British/German) who play twice a week there and if you pay a once off fee of 1000 baht per year you get a reduced green fee.

Will we go again?? possibly as only 1 hour 10 mins away by truck.

I scrambled my way around with a 44 and partner 48 so both quite pleased. Next outing to Naira Hills, big boys course some 90km's away and then might give Lopburi a go as well.