Ip Address Question

SiamOrchids

I'm trying to improve my torrent download performance. So this morning I was researching Port Forwarding.

I can download files, a 700 mb TV show loads overnight. Using TOT IPstar in Kanchanaburi.

But on the bottom of the BitTorrent page, it says: "May Be Firewalled".

I've got the Windows firewall disabled.

So I assume that it must be the router's firewall, (Linksys WRT54G) or is it the IPstar firewall ?

So Port Forwarding's first step deals with the IP address, but when I checked the IP address using ipconfig/all, I got one address (192.168.1.101) and when I checked online at Speakeasy and at another site, I got a different IP address (203.113.23.192).

I'm not a real computer geek, my skills are probably rated at adequate +, but I can't figure this one out.

I'm hesitant to do anything until I resolve my IP address confusion.

Is one IP address from IPstar and the other from the Router ?

How do I configure the Linksys to allow Port Forwarding ?

Also:

How do I update the Linksys firmware ? My firmware is 2 - 3 years old. I see that the newer versions have specific references to BitTorrent performance improvement. I've tried to do it using the Linksys control panel BUT when it asks me where to save the file, there is no Linksys folder in my program files.

Thanks

I'm trying to improve my torrent download performance. So this morning I was researching Port Forwarding.

I can download files, a 700 mb TV show loads overnight. Using TOT IPstar in Kanchanaburi.

So I assume that it must be the router's firewall, (Linksys WRT54G) or is it the IPstar firewall ?

So Port Forwarding's first step deals with the IP address, but when I checked the IP address using ipconfig/all, I got one address (192.168.1.101) and when I checked online at Speakeasy and at another site, I got a different IP address (203.113.23.192).

I'm not a real computer geek, my skills are probably rated at adequate +, but I can't figure this one out.

Also:

How do I update the Linksys firmware ? My firmware is 2 - 3 years old. I see that the newer versions have specific references to BitTorrent performance improvement. I've tried to do it using the Linksys control panel BUT when it asks me where to save the file, there is no Linksys folder in my program files.

Thanks

I use bitcomet but i believe bittorrent should works the same way.

1st) Get the listen port from your bittorrent settings.

2nd) go into your linksys http://192.168.1.1

3rd) Click application & Gaming

4th) You will see port range.. enter the application name ... BT ... Example, if your listen port in Bittorrent is 23 .. u enter 23 in both Start and End Range... the IP address is 192.168.1.101 (in your case). Save it and you are done.

I am using Bitcomet 0.70 with a modified xml file i got from another site early this year. With my TOT 2mpbs internet connection, i am getting a maximum of 210kb/sec during OFFpEAK hours. But even when it is peak hours, it usually has a good download speed. If anyone wants the setting file, you can pm me.

The reason why you see 2 different IP addresses:

3 ranges of IP addresses are not routed on the internet, and are to be used for private networks. These ranges are:

10.x.x.x

172.[16..31].x.x

192.168.x.x

So if you see an IP address from these ranges, it is always on a private network!

These private networks can be connected to the internet with a router, and the router will translate all the private IP addresses to it's public IP address (the address that the ISP has assigned to the router).

Because of this translation, every server on the internet will think that the data came from your router, so the website you checked for your IP address will show your routers public IP address.

The router will remember which computer sent a request (e.g. a website) and will sent the answer through to the private IP address that sent the request. All this information is kept in the memory of the router. This process is called NAT or Network Address Translation. The advantage is that many computers can use a single public IP address to access the internet.

This process works automatically from the private (inside) network to the public (outside) network. However, when a request comes from the internet, the router does not have an entry in it's memory for the request and will simply drop it.

Unless you configure the router to sent that request through to an IP address on the private network. This process is called Port-Forwarding / PAT or Port Address Translation / Virtual Server (this last term is used on some routers)

Also:

Thanks

To get the port forwarding working, it's handy to understand a little bit of TCP/IP. Then it's only a matter of logical thinking: forward a certain port number from the outside public interface to an inside IP address. The actual setup will differ from router to router and for Linksys it's explained in detail on portward.com

Upgrading the firmware:

1. Download the correct firmware from the internet

2. Check again that you do have the correct firmware for your model, so you won't brick your router.

3. Save the firmware file somewhere on your computer and remember where you saved it.

4. Connect to your router, navigate to the firmware page and select the browse button to select the firmware file. Go to the location where you saved it before and select it.

5. Upload it, follow the instructions on the screen.

6a. If your router became unresponsive, you probably bricked it.

6b. If the router has started with the new firmware, check all the configuration settings again. Sometimes these are lost during the upgrade.

Also:

Thanks

I use bitcomet but i believe bittorrent should works the same way.

1st) Get the listen port from your bittorrent settings.

2nd) go into your linksys <a href="http://192.168.1.1" target="_blank">http://192.168.1.1</a>

3rd) Click application & Gaming

4th) You will see port range.. enter the application name ... BT ... Example, if your listen port in Bittorrent is 23 .. u enter 23 in both Start and End Range... the IP address is 192.168.1.101 (in your case). Save it and you are done.

About the 4th point : isn't it necessary to set up a static IP address ? (192.168.1.101 is a dynamic IP address, right ?)

Here's a little trick to try first:

1 - Turn on the Windows Firewall (allow the bittorrent program when prompted, obviously)

2 - Go to the router configuration and turn off the router's firewall

Once I did that, I got green smiley faces in all Azureus torrents meaning the NAT somehow worked. I don't know exactly how it does that since the router didn't have any special port forwarding settings enabled.

Alternatively, the best way to do it is as described above, the 100% bullet-proof way:

- Set the router to assign a static DHCP address to your machine, so you always get the same address. You need your computer's MAC address for that. MAC address is a unique id of your network card.

- Set the router to forward the relevant ports to that static address

- Set the router's firewall to let these ports in in the first place

- Set the Windows firewall to let these ports in