Burmese Restaurant In Chiang Mai?

Jingthing

I am looking for real Burmese food, not Burmese influenced dishes. I mean things like the dried tea salad and a sour vegetable dish I can't really pronounce, that sort of thing. Is there such a place in Chiang Mai? I miss this food from when I lived in San Francisco. I also don't understand why there aren't Burmese and Malaysian restaurants all over Thailand; its like there is no interest in neighboring cuisines. Cambodian food we can do without ...

Edited by Jingthing

OK, this is a Burmese dish I have been craving for years, I remember it is called something like CHINMONGJAW but I found this reference to Chinbaung leaves so this must be it. It is cooked in a thin curry with shrimp, bamboo shoots, and fresh hot chilies and it one of my favorite dishes of all time. Not even all Burmese restaurants in US have it and the place I used to get it in San Francisco closed. I think they are roselle leaves, not sorrell. The vegetable makes the dish, it is very sour in the best possible way.

Chinbaung (Burmese) leaves? These are sour and in the shape of a maple leaf. Somebody told me that it was sorrell. I took a leaf to the Vietnamese store and they had never seen anything like that before. It is used in soups and also cooked with shrimp and bamboo shoots and green hot chillies. The Burmese restaurants carry it, alas, no Burmese restaurants in Phoenix. I'm dying to have some. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

More info, I found this dish on a Burmese menu:

PaZun MoteNyinChin Gyaw Shrimp sautéed with sour mustard, onion, and fresh cilantro

which sounds more like the name I remember. But are they talking about mustard greens? I doubt the veggie I am looking for is plain old Chinese mustard greens.

I could be completely wrong on the roselle idea. This is used for making tea, called krajeab in Thai.

Signed, Sour Vegetable Detective (maybe someone knows or even has a recipe then I could make it)

Breaking news! It seems sorrell and roselle can be referring to the same leaf.

"Fried sour leaves" is dominated by roselle, a tart-tasting type of hibiscus best known in this country by its Jamaican name, sorrel..

Blame it on those pesky Jamaicans.

OK! Bingo. It is definitely ROSELLE LEAVES. (Chinbaung in Burmese, krajea in Thai.)

Also in Myanmar their green leaves are the main ingredient in making chin baung kyaw curry.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roselle_(plant)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roselle_(plant)</a>

Now, what about any Burmese restaurants?

Edited by Jingthing

I am looking for real Burmese food, not Burmese influenced dishes. I mean things like the dried tea salad and a sour vegetable dish I can't really pronounce, that sort of thing. Is there such a place in Chiang Mai? I miss this food from when I lived in San Francisco. I also don't understand why there aren't Burmese and Malaysian restaurants all over Thailand; its like there is no interest in neighboring cuisines. Cambodian food we can do without ...

Maybe there aren't Burmese or Malaysian restaurants around, but the food is. Unlike San Fran, most folks do not get their food from a restaurant in that sense, but from hawkers on every corner... Look around and I'm sure you can find whatever your heart desires

I know there are at least 2 Burmese restaurants, but don't know the exact location.

I think one near Ton Payom market, and one in the soi that goes from Chotana Road past Rajabhat University towards Kham Tiang, and then a sub-soi of that.. I think. :o

OK, thats a clue. Maybe if I meet a Burmese person there I can get some help finding. Surely they have to eat and miss their food.

There are quiet a few in Chiang Mai but I still haven't located them!

There was an article in the Bangkok post about six months ago and it mentioned a number of restaurant names and reviews but alas no addresses. Wat pa pao is a Burmese style temple and there are meant to be some Burmese street stalls around here but all I found were your usual Thai fare.

Can't say I was very impressed with Burmese food when I was travelling there a couple of years back, the only dish I enjoyed was the tea leaf one mentioned - the gin and beer weren't bad though :o

It keeps getting cited here as an Indian restaurant, and I haven't been there myself, but you might try Hinlay near the Floral Condo. The name is definitely Burmese (it means 'small curry') and I have a suspicion they may at least serve a few Burmese dishes. Or know where you can find them.

Also there used to be some Burmese food vendors set up near Wat Pa Phao, a mostly Burmese temple just outside the moat near the NE corner. I haven't looked in a couple of years, not sure they're still around. Tea salad was easy to find there.

I haven't been to Burma but have a good friend who used to go alot. He is holding off now. He says the best food is when you are invited to people's homes, not so much a restaurant culture. But it makes sense that Burmese moving to San Francisco would open restaurants. Frankly, it is that one sour vegetable dish that I craved for years, and it doesn't sound like it would be easy or possible to find. Maybe even hard in Burma.

Edited by Jingthing

We did an article this year on Burmese restaurants in Chiang Mai for the Irrawaddy. I can't find it now, but if you want to pm me I will try to dig it up. There is one just by 103 condo on Nim road and another by Payap U. Both very basic but delish. If you want to go posh then Rachamankha Hotel has Burmese and Yunannese food too.

I have tried the restaurant on the Nimmanhaeminda St., Hil Side condo 2 opposite to the 7/11. I was recommanded by a close burmese friend. Bring me there and just order in Burmese that I do not understand a single word! She showed me that the most fun part it is to ask the owner to cook something special, not in the menu, which always turn out to be just nice.

I am not a real goumet but those simple dishes can be so special sometime. :o

Report about Nong Bee casual Burmese restaurant on Nimen ... across the street from Soi 13.

Had a nice meal here, simple food. Excellent tea leaf salad. Was told they also usually have pennywort salad. They had a few things cooking in pots, chicken curry (boring), and a very Burmese bland yellow pea soup (nice and dal-like). If it wasn't for the tea salad I would have been disapointed but with it, a nice eat. They have a translated menu of specialties but almost none of it is actually available on any given day. Total cost 60 baht, 3 dishes plus rice.

We eat at the Burmese restaurant across from Soi 13 on Nimmanhaemin several times a week. They usually only have a few of the dishes available by the evening - normally a catfish and/or chicken and potato curry, but they always have a selection of Burmese salads, like the Tea Leaf salad. Most dishes are 20 or 25 THB. Highly recommended...

We did a blog post about this particular restaurant here if you are interested in reading more.

Burmese Border town markets usually has boxes of pickled green tea salad which contain the nuts aswell.just add the garlic & chillies as desired.very cheap.i do crave this sometimes.it kinda tastes like cheese with its sour taste.otherwise though the only really authentic burmese food ive eaten is in burmese homes.

I've noticed that this blogsite is food centric, though having lived here for 10 years I personally haven't found the need to talk about it endlessly - I have no problems finding my own. However, Burmese food is one thing I do know about and when I hear people cry "i miss Burmese food" and then look at the comments, I wonder if they actually know what 'real' Burmese food is. I have looked through all the entries and cannot see one comment about Mohinga which is Burma's national dish. Which leaves me thinking that very few contributers have ever been to Burma and even less know anything about Burmese Food - just trying to be 'one up'. Below is Mohinga for all you contributers who either don't know about it, never tried it and don't miss it.

Mohinga, (Mohingar) is considered to be Myanmar's National dish. It is basically a fish broth with noodles, served with various accompaniments. It is traditionally eaten for breakfast although it can be (and is) eaten at any time of the day or night. Such is its popularity, that most urban centres throughout the country have vendors who sell it ready made and it is obtainable in almost every restaurant from morning to evening.

There is nothing wrong - with being foodcentric ! In fact, I have eaten & drunk, all my life - with no ill-effects. :D

I didn't say there was. There's nothing wrong with mentioning that the site is foodcentric either. There is such a lot written on 'the best burger' 'the best curry' the best rib eye'......I reckon all the efforts should be put together and published - it could be called 'A critique of every eating place in Chiangmai' though I doubt very much it could be published in pocket edition. On a slightly different note, I have actually tried one or two places mentioned with good results so I'm saying some things a bit tongue in cheek. Try not to take things quite so seriously and do carry on eating and drinking. :o

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

I know what your talking about, the Burmese sour vegetable. I had it in San Francisco in a Burmese restaurant and loved it! I recently found something at the Asian store that seems similar to me. It's pickled sour mustard called "Cai Chau". It's delicious! One company that makes it is Lotus brand from Thailand. The other company is Sun Voi from Thailand. Check out your local Asian store and good luck!

Holly

Some Shan friends have cooked "real" Shan dishes occasionally at my house (whatever "real" means). The term gourmet didn't apply! nothing I'd go out of my way to look for again :o But as the same people, would eat ANYTHING, I shouldn't be suprised (note they are lovely people, just different tastes, not to mention table manners)

I'd think there are many places that sell this food in the Chiang Pheuk/Chottana area (e.g. as mentioned by a previous poster). But, I guess they don't advertise much as the BIB might take an interest.

I also don't understand why there aren't Burmese and Malaysian restaurants all over Thailand; its like there is no interest in neighboring cuisines.

I actually prefer the Chinese, Malaysian and Indian food in Malaysia to Thai cuisine, but I know that I am in the minority. I lived in Vietnam for a short time and surprised that there were some good Malaysian restaurants there.

• 2 years later...
I know there are at least 2 Burmese restaurants, but don't know the exact location.

I think one near Ton Payom market, and one in the soi that goes from Chotana Road past Rajabhat University towards Kham Tiang, and then a sub-soi of that.. I think. :o

OK, thats a clue. Maybe if I meet a Burmese person there I can get some help finding. Surely they have to eat and miss their food.

restaurant The Swan

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=3005

restaurant The Swan

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=3005

The Swan, as you face Thapae Gate from outside of the moat, walk to the right (clue MacDonalds on left) past the big hotel (forgotten name) and just before Mike's Burgers is the best Burmese restaurant in town. They make an absolutely gorgeous tea leaf salad - a limited menu but it is all very superb. I like the Nimmanhaemin restaurant (attached to the good friends library who do good work for Burma human rights) but the Swan is dee-lish-uss!

you can make the salad quite easily yourself-no kidding with little packages that contain the tea leave stuff and some crunchy mix.you add tomato garlic lime cilantro and red onion maybe a little oil and it is cheap and authentic.the packages are cheap and keep forever-buy them at the friday market across the mosque first soi on changklan rd.also other burmese specialties,some very bad tasting to me anyway.went to burma and know some burmese people here in cm ,i like them a lot but the food is not their forte.:blink:

there is a little Burmese restaurant behind Meechok market - just opposite where they sell the second hand motorbikes now and then - close to the car-park. I was not aware at first that it was Burmese - just looking for a place to have lunch and then noticed the pictures of Aung San Suu Kyi and her father on the wall - the food was quite nice, friendly service and very reasonable prices!

Edited by Cnxforever

I like the Nimmanhaemin restaurant (attached to the good friends library who do good work for Burma human rights) but the Swan is dee-lish-uss!

The Good Friends Library www.thebestfriend.orghas moved to Nimanhemin Soi 13. Map on their website, though they still have a presence at Nong Bee’s Burmese Restaurant, 28 Nimmanhaemin Road as described above. They do some good work and I hear they have a lot going on now after the recent problems in Mae Sot :(

Another Burmese restaurant, actually Shan food in this case, is located on the Soi that runs from Chotanna to Wat Ku Tao. It's on the left about 50M before the entrance to the Wat. I believe there are a couple more around there too, one possibly that described above.

you can make the salad quite easily yourself-no kidding with little packages that contain the tea leave stuff and some crunchy mix.you add tomato garlic lime cilantro and red onion maybe a little oil and it is cheap and authentic.the packages are cheap and keep forever-buy them at the friday market across the mosque first soi on changklan rd.also other burmese specialties,some very bad tasting to me anyway.went to burma and know some burmese people here in cm ,i like them a lot but the food is not their forte.:blink:

Thanks for that, "...myfriend". That sounds just the way Nong Bee's off Nimmanheamin makes tea leaf salad and the way I prefer it. I tried the tea leaf salad at the Swan and it was really just cabbage salad with a few tea leaves and tomato. The Swan has a beautiful garden and a more extensive menu than Nong Bee's but the tea leaf salad is not the reason to go.

Thanks for that, "...myfriend". That sounds just the way Nong Bee's off Nimmanheamin makes tea leaf salad and the way I prefer it. I tried the tea leaf salad at the Swan and it was really just cabbage salad with a few tea leaves and tomato. The Swan has a beautiful garden and a more extensive menu than Nong Bee's but the tea leaf salad is not the reason to go.

They have that and other really good salads at the place described above in the back of Ruam Chok Market. It's called Mee Mee's and the owner (Mee Mee) is a very nice lady. She's only there sometimes. Some items on the menu are only available on Saturday and Sunday. Prices are reasonable.

She also has a nice gift shop in the same plaza that sells really nice and unusual gifts; all made in Myanmar.

Edited by elektrified