Where's The Us$ Heading To ?

Lanna, I seemed to have missd the Euro's "bounce off of $1.45", but I will eagerly await to see if it bounces off of $1.35 next week :D Thats just my guess and that and $15 will get you a glass of orange juice in Paris!

i don't see 1.35 next week and my belly says 1.38 is the limit for some time to come. should i be wrong it won't matter as i am dancing on both weddings :o

It would absolutely drive me nuts to imagine I could foretell what might happen next week. I't not that hard to tell what's going to happen in the next hour or next year though.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lanna, I seemed to have missd the Euro's "bounce off of $1.45", but I will eagerly await to see if it bounces off of $1.35 next week :D Thats just my guess and that and $15 will get you a glass of orange juice in Paris!

i don't see 1.35 next week and my belly says 1.38 is the limit for some time to come. should i be wrong it won't matter as i am dancing on both weddings :o

It would absolutely drive me nuts to imagine I could foretell what might happen next week. I't not that hard to tell what's going to happen in the next hour or next year though.

1.41358 Fri Sep 12 09:45:02 2008

1.41358 Fri Sep 12 09:45:02 2008

You trading pips now Naam? You may find Newton's Laws of Motion helpful.

...............I strongly believe swing voters will not allow themselves to vote on impulsivity realizing at that final moment an Obama presidency is just too chancy and to reluctantly take a safer approach with McCain and hope he can bring about at least some positive change to Washington - or at the very least, stability.

I concur, Mcain will "steal" it. I think selecting Palin was brilliant (and not an "impulsive Mcain move" either), the Republicans must really have some smart guys working for them. They got Bush elected twice too, before we forget. :o

My theory is that money flowing out of Europe (World's largest economy if you count it all) is causing $ rise. Any validity in that? And while you guys have your crystal balls out so to speak - Gold over/under $750 this month end?

FWIW I backed Mcain 11/4. :D

For us NON economist types, the Big Mac index is probably the best way to compare currencies. I like it because it takes into account labor and rent as well as the cost of material required to make the finished product.

According to the index, Thailand is a 45 percent cheaper place to live than the US. The Scandinavian countries are the most expensive. China with its undervalued currency is maybe deceptively the cheapest. If I were to speculate on currencies, which I'm NOT, I'd pay a good deal of attention to this way of comparing.

Interesting Read:....from good old Jim Rogers....

'The US dollar is in trouble'

SMART TALK: Jim Rogers

Legendary investor Jim Rogers is probably the last word when it comes to investments in commodities. Along with George Soros, he co-founded the Quantum Fund in 1970. The fund went on to deliver absolute returns of 4,200 per cent in the decade that followed, while the S&P 500 delivered only 50 per cent during that period

Rogers correctly predicted China's resurgence as an economic superpower way back in the 80’s and that crude oil will touch the $100 mark. His last two books, ‘A Bull in China: Investing Profitably in the World's Greatest Market’ and ‘Hot Commodities: How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market’ have been well received.

Rogers was in Mumbai on the occasion of the launch of the Birla Sun Life Commodity Equities Fund. At the conference and in an interview with Jitendra Kumar Gupta, he shared his outlook on commodities and the world economy. Excerpts:

How can one identify the start of an upward or downward cycle in any commodity?

In the late nineties, when I came with the conclusion that the commodity bear market is ending, I could see that no body has build offshore drilling rigs and tugs since 1981, with drilling declining for 15-20 years. I could also see that the inventories of food, which were very high in the mid-eighties, had gone down to nothing.

There was no production or capacities added for decades. I travelled around Asia, enough to know that Asia was booming, so could see that this was all coming together. And, if this is all coming to an end over the next 10-15 years, I will also be able to see the upturn in the commodity cycle. I tried and looked at the big picture for the demand and supply, and some time I get it right.

It is the same for the down cycle like during 1999-2000, you could see that everybody in the world was investing in stocks. You walk down the street, the TV sets were all blaring in the bars, in the barber shops, talking about the stock markets. I went to a dentist, and the receptionist was asking me about stocks, whether she should buy Coco Cola or not. So, you recognise, the signs of top to bottom markets always look the same, everybody seems to be terribly involved.

What is your view on global economy and inflation?

The world economy is in recession and the inflation is going to stay here, it is going to get worse. Some countries lie about it. But, inflation in all countries is going to get worse. The next decade is going to see lot more inflation, which is not good.

In this light, how can one beat inflation and generate higher inflation-adjusted returns?

Commodities are the best inflation hedge, better than real estate better than anything else. Nothing can assure you better than commodities, but only if you are good at it. You have to pick the things that go up the most to make more money. Inflation does not cause prices to rise, price rise causes inflation.

Frequently, since the prices of the commodities go up before the inflation numbers, one can stay ahead of inflation. But, if you get it wrong you might do worse. So, investing in those commodities, which are going to go up first or selecting the right commodities, is the key to stay ahead of the inflation and make a lot of money.

What is you view on commodity prices being influenced by investor/speculative money?

If you do not allow the commodity prices to go up you do not get more supplies, then the farmers are not going to produce, so how are we going to get more food. Are we ourselves going to get into the fields? So, the way is to let prices go up.

Do you think Asian economies are decoupling from the rest of the world?

If you deal with the largest economy you are going to get affected by what is happening in America. If you are in the other sectors in Asia, such as water treatment and agriculture you have decoupled. You do not care what is happening in America.

But, if you sell to Wal-Mart, which is the largest retailer in America, you are going to suffer badly. So, some will decouple and some may not. Since India is such a closed economy, which is a negative as far as I am concerned, in this particular short term, India will suffer less probably than other countries which are more integrated with the world economy.

What is your view on the dollar?

Fundamentally, dollar is a terribly flawed currency. I am pessimistic about the future of the dollar; I expect it to continue to deteriorate over the next two or three decades.

The dollar is rallying at the movement because there are so many pessimists including me. But, I hope to use that rally some time in next year to get better of rest of my dollars. I do not want to own any US dollar. Also, I would not urge you to buy US dollar. Dollar is going to loose its status as world reserve currency.

Some of the OPEC countries have already started and no longer take dollar, like Venezuela no longer accepts dollar. Other countries, like Gulf, are already looking and may be taking a package of basket of currencies instead of dollar. I am not the only one who knows the dollar is in trouble. Anybody who watches the TV knows that the dollar is in trouble.

What is you assessment of the crude oil prices in the short and longer term?

I do not have idea as to where the oil prices are headed in the short to medium term. I do know over the course of the bull market, which perhaps has another 10 years to go, the crude oil price will be much higher.

Your bets in the commodity space?

Agriculture is one thing I will be looking for the next decade or so. Within commodities, I would not say these are the best, but may be sugar, coffee and cotton. I am also starting to look at some of the base metals they are down a lot; starting to look at some of these like silver, copper, zinc and gold.

Also, if you want to invest in Asia, commodities are the best way. Because, no matter what happens, the commodities have to be better, Asia has three billion people and is now involved in the world economy. Besides, in commodities you do not have to worry about corporate governance, central banks, unions, politicians or anything.

With gold prices correcting, do you still advocate buying gold?

I am trying and want to buy some gold. However, whether this is the low in the gold, I have no idea, but if gold goes lower, I will add some more. Gold is something I do not plan to sell. Gold is something I will gift to my children.

How will alternative fuels play?

Many politicians around the world are advocating bio fuel now. It is going to happen whether it is good or bad. There is going to be much more demand for the bio fuel going forward. This is also a reason that I am optimistic about the outlook of agriculture.

Your views on the water potential in Asia?

India and China have huge water problems. Water could be the next big investment. And, the best way is to invest in water companies which clean it, transport or pump it. Find the water companies that solve the water problem and you could be the richest person in India.

---Business Standard

LaoPo

Interesting Read:....from good old Jim Rogers....

'The US dollar is in trouble'

SMART TALK: Jim Rogers

Legendary investor Jim Rogers is probably the last word when it comes to investments in commodities. Along with George Soros, he co-founded the Quantum Fund in 1970. The fund went on to deliver absolute returns of 4,200 per cent in the decade that followed, while the S&P 500 delivered only 50 per cent during that period

Rogers correctly predicted China's resurgence as an economic superpower way back in the 80’s and that crude oil will touch the $100 mark. His last two books, ‘A Bull in China: Investing Profitably in the World's Greatest Market’ and ‘Hot Commodities: How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market’ have been well received.

Rogers was in Mumbai on the occasion of the launch of the Birla Sun Life Commodity Equities Fund. At the conference and in an interview with Jitendra Kumar Gupta, he shared his outlook on commodities and the world economy. Excerpts:

How can one identify the start of an upward or downward cycle in any commodity?

In the late nineties, when I came with the conclusion that the commodity bear market is ending, I could see that no body has build offshore drilling rigs and tugs since 1981, with drilling declining for 15-20 years. I could also see that the inventories of food, which were very high in the mid-eighties, had gone down to nothing.

There was no production or capacities added for decades. I travelled around Asia, enough to know that Asia was booming, so could see that this was all coming together. And, if this is all coming to an end over the next 10-15 years, I will also be able to see the upturn in the commodity cycle. I tried and looked at the big picture for the demand and supply, and some time I get it right.

It is the same for the down cycle like during 1999-2000, you could see that everybody in the world was investing in stocks. You walk down the street, the TV sets were all blaring in the bars, in the barber shops, talking about the stock markets. I went to a dentist, and the receptionist was asking me about stocks, whether she should buy Coco Cola or not. So, you recognise, the signs of top to bottom markets always look the same, everybody seems to be terribly involved.

What is your view on global economy and inflation?

The world economy is in recession and the inflation is going to stay here, it is going to get worse. Some countries lie about it. But, inflation in all countries is going to get worse. The next decade is going to see lot more inflation, which is not good.

In this light, how can one beat inflation and generate higher inflation-adjusted returns?

Commodities are the best inflation hedge, better than real estate better than anything else. Nothing can assure you better than commodities, but only if you are good at it. You have to pick the things that go up the most to make more money. Inflation does not cause prices to rise, price rise causes inflation.

Frequently, since the prices of the commodities go up before the inflation numbers, one can stay ahead of inflation. But, if you get it wrong you might do worse. So, investing in those commodities, which are going to go up first or selecting the right commodities, is the key to stay ahead of the inflation and make a lot of money.

What is you view on commodity prices being influenced by investor/speculative money?

If you do not allow the commodity prices to go up you do not get more supplies, then the farmers are not going to produce, so how are we going to get more food. Are we ourselves going to get into the fields? So, the way is to let prices go up.

Do you think Asian economies are decoupling from the rest of the world?

If you deal with the largest economy you are going to get affected by what is happening in America. If you are in the other sectors in Asia, such as water treatment and agriculture you have decoupled. You do not care what is happening in America.

But, if you sell to Wal-Mart, which is the largest retailer in America, you are going to suffer badly. So, some will decouple and some may not. Since India is such a closed economy, which is a negative as far as I am concerned, in this particular short term, India will suffer less probably than other countries which are more integrated with the world economy.

What is your view on the dollar?

Fundamentally, dollar is a terribly flawed currency. I am pessimistic about the future of the dollar; I expect it to continue to deteriorate over the next two or three decades.

The dollar is rallying at the movement because there are so many pessimists including me. But, I hope to use that rally some time in next year to get better of rest of my dollars. I do not want to own any US dollar. Also, I would not urge you to buy US dollar. Dollar is going to loose its status as world reserve currency.

Some of the OPEC countries have already started and no longer take dollar, like Venezuela no longer accepts dollar. Other countries, like Gulf, are already looking and may be taking a package of basket of currencies instead of dollar. I am not the only one who knows the dollar is in trouble. Anybody who watches the TV knows that the dollar is in trouble.

What is you assessment of the crude oil prices in the short and longer term?

I do not have idea as to where the oil prices are headed in the short to medium term. I do know over the course of the bull market, which perhaps has another 10 years to go, the crude oil price will be much higher.

Your bets in the commodity space?

Agriculture is one thing I will be looking for the next decade or so. Within commodities, I would not say these are the best, but may be sugar, coffee and cotton. I am also starting to look at some of the base metals they are down a lot; starting to look at some of these like silver, copper, zinc and gold.

Also, if you want to invest in Asia, commodities are the best way. Because, no matter what happens, the commodities have to be better, Asia has three billion people and is now involved in the world economy. Besides, in commodities you do not have to worry about corporate governance, central banks, unions, politicians or anything.

With gold prices correcting, do you still advocate buying gold?

I am trying and want to buy some gold. However, whether this is the low in the gold, I have no idea, but if gold goes lower, I will add some more. Gold is something I do not plan to sell. Gold is something I will gift to my children.

How will alternative fuels play?

Many politicians around the world are advocating bio fuel now. It is going to happen whether it is good or bad. There is going to be much more demand for the bio fuel going forward. This is also a reason that I am optimistic about the outlook of agriculture.

Your views on the water potential in Asia?

India and China have huge water problems. Water could be the next big investment. And, the best way is to invest in water companies which clean it, transport or pump it. Find the water companies that solve the water problem and you could be the richest person in India.

---Business Standard

LaoPo

lao, Is that the same Jimmy Rogers who was hyping Chinese equities on the Shanghai stock exchange a year ago when the Sahnghai average was at 6124? Considering that the shanghai exchange will open below 2000 tomorrow, I would think that you might find a more reliable source to promote your agenda :o If good ole Jimmy is as wrong on the Dollar, gold and oil, as he was on the chinese markets then I would expect that in 2009 we will see sub $70/bbl oil, sub $600/ounce gold and a continuation of the current bull market in the Dollar. Please feel free to quote Mr. Rogers as often as you like, it is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel :D

lao, Is that the same Jimmy Rogers who was hyping Chinese equities on the Shanghai stock exchange a year ago when the Sahnghai average was at 6124? Considering that the shanghai exchange will open below 2000 tomorrow, I would think that you might find a more reliable source to promote your agenda :o If good ole Jimmy is as wrong on the Dollar, gold and oil, as he was on the chinese markets then I would expect that in 2009 we will see sub $70/bbl oil, sub $600/ounce gold and a continuation of the current bull market in the Dollar. Please feel free to quote Mr. Rogers as often as you like, it is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel :D

You know I have watched Oil drop from just under 100 barrel to under 97 in minutes this morning :D So I hope it continues

lao, Is that the same Jimmy Rogers who was hyping Chinese equities on the Shanghai stock exchange a year ago when the Sahnghai average was at 6124? Considering that the shanghai exchange will open below 2000 tomorrow, I would think that you might find a more reliable source to promote your agenda :D If good ole Jimmy is as wrong on the Dollar, gold and oil, as he was on the chinese markets then I would expect that in 2009 we will see sub $70/bbl oil, sub $600/ounce gold and a continuation of the current bull market in the Dollar. Please feel free to quote Mr. Rogers as often as you like, it is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel :(

Yep, that's the same old Jimmy, Viccy.

Instead you focus yourself on the fine financial situation the USA is in right now, you are a Master in withdrawing the attention from the drain, America is in; but you won't fool most of us.... :D

Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Bear Sterns, Merrill Lynch, Lehman Brothers, AIG, WaMu...and what was that mortgage company we use to talk about together.....? Oh yeah, Countrywide, bailed out by the Bank of America, who's bailing out now Merrill Lynch for a bargain... :P

You want me to continue with your BIG 3 in Detroit...no I better not since I am quite sure you know.

WHAT HAPPENED in America Viccy, I'm sure you have some plausible reasons why the GIANTS in good old America went under...? If you don't know I am more than willing to give you the stock prices of today and 1 year ago of those Giants. Let me know, OK ?

Inform us about something we don't know (yet); that would make more sense.

They're ALL down the drain...flushed away, because your fine financial crooks knew it all, knew it better, but above all were VERY GOOD in stashing their pockets, full of bucks.

I have more faith in good old Jimmy than a desert cowboy, I tell you :D

Have a nice day, and Oh...before I forget, you would be surprised how much money, percentage wise, the normal ordinary Chinese still have SAVED in their banks, unlikely your fellow Americans who didn't do/learn anything more than SPENDING and are in debt up till their necks, pushed and promoted by those fine banks of yours; the legalized mafia.

Did you know that the average China family SAVE 30-35% of their income ?

Have a nice day Vicyy ! :o

Oh, I almost forgot; I am, personally, very happy with the decline on the Chinese stock market because you know, when there's blood in the streets........you.....right ! :D

All the time I staid cash...all the time. There's another member here who staid cash also....on this forum.... :D

Oh, and about your US $ as the most powerful currency...; it will be history in a few years, HISTORY; but you will still be able to buy your groceries at WalMart of course. No problem.

LaoPo

You're starting to get a little too biased Lao Po. Everyone I know is in cash up to the gills. I know a guy who could buy every repo in a 20 mile radius if he so chose. We're just seeing another leg in the market which topped in 2000 (too many long term accounts complacent in paper). The dollars got some resting tyo do, but don't be surprised if it cafches it's breath in the next month or so. Investors love a twofer stock/currency appreciation.

I know a guy who could buy every repo in a 20 mile radius if he so chose.

Not to go OT but........ :o

I am signing some closings this week on some properties.

They were not repo's but folks who for what ever reason are worried & leaving.

Selling for quite a bit less than they paid.

I am a building contractor & have watched this property since back when it costs twice as much.

I know this is a great deal :D:D .........but............LOL you know in the back of my mind I still wonder & feel a bit afraid of spending anything right now.

Then again in some ways I feel better about buying land here at pre--2005 prices than leaving it in a bank with a D- rating :D:D:(

You're starting to get a little too biased Lao Po.

Biased on what, whom....LR ? The US $ ? :o

Since the topic is about the US $...

The problem with the $ and America is the lending....the lending to and the lending from.

America is addicted to lending and nobody saves anymore; the US and it's people needs to kick off, of spending, and in fact foreign countries should stop lending more because the US otherwise will never stop spending.

The whole financial system collapsed, in fact BECAUSE of this lending and THUS spending. Everybody was lending from and to each other until the system collapsed. Banks didn't (and DON'T !) trust each other anymore and Buffett showed (again) he was a clever and wise man that he ordered, just a few days ago, to stop insuring clients for more than the maximum the Fed would pay back in case of emergencies; how right he was///Lehman etc.

Everybody, everyone, including corporate America was spending money which wasn't theirs, lending, lending, lending money and spending it....but it still isn't/wasn't theirs.

The financial system, America and Dollar the same, is in fact worth ZERO, nothing, Nada.

The whole country and corporate world is for sale for a dime and a nickel....

The patient needs to be cured and there are several options:

1. Immense rich countries, like Saudi Arabia***, the UAE***, Russia, China, Japan, Singapore and the like buy America and their corporations and save the country (which they're doing already).

2. America goes to the doctor and face the mirror and see that they have a huge problem: LENDING & SPENDING...but not SAVING. They have to take pills to stop the addictive spending and start saving again, not buying over-expensive houses, cars, clothes and watches; I could go on.

The patient is very sick and THUS the US$ will go through the drain...maybe not this year or next year, but definitive within a couple of years on a sliding but sure scale; there is no escape possible and the process started already by some countries receiving Euros, Swiss Francs etc. for their oil instead dollars.

The short rise of the $ is just a hick up.

*** Those countries (read: Arab King/Sheiks, private owners of the countries....) saved the @rse of Citigroup amongst others....study the case.

OK, you may flame now :D

LaoPo

I thought you'd been around the block before Lao Po. Who lnew you werr am idealogue? If you're short, I hopw you cover well before zero.

Never seen the Autumn markdown before?

1. I'm not in anything now....maybe dumb, but I'd rather wait a little, still.

2. This is not a normal Autumn downer LR, not at all.

This is a lot more serious but time will tell; it could become a LOT worse. We don't know yet the losses of all other banks in the world but we'll know in a few weeks or months I hope.

??? about your bold sentence ??? :o

LaoPo

Sorry LP, I don't have my glasses on and I'm only guessing at which keys to hit.

:D ..I see,

no worries, he has always an extra pair:

post-13995-1221512773_thumb.jpg to make the Greenback look larger than it actually is...

LaoPo :o

You're starting to get a little too biased Lao Po. Everyone I know is in cash up to the gills. I know a guy who could buy every repo in a 20 mile radius if he so chose. We're just seeing another leg in the market which topped in 2000 (too many long term accounts complacent in paper). The dollars got some resting tyo do, but don't be surprised if it cafches it's breath in the next month or so. Investors love a twofer stock/currency appreciation.

Lanna, You usally have a good mainstream view on the situation at hand, as I see you do curently, but to state that lao po is STARTING to get a LITTLE too biased :o , tells me that you have not paid close attention to lao in the past :D

Lao Po is always biased - $ is in fine shape!!! :D

that goes without saying. 60% loss of a currency over a period of seven years (vs. €UR) is nothing but peanuts and no justification for being biased :D

having said so i would like to add that your frequent comments on the Dollar make me yaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnn.... :o

I think some Americans here in LOS have already been affected by what is happening. I keep checking my bank website just to make sure the server hasn't been turned off! It will take a while to recover from 700 Billion.... From Yahoo News:

The Dow Jones industrial average lost more than 500 points, more than 4 percent, its steepest point drop since the day the stock market reopened after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. About $700 billion evaporated from retirement plans, government pension funds and other investment portfolios.

About $700 billion evaporated from retirement plans, government pension funds and other investment portfolios.

You know that is the saddest perspective I have read yet.

It is perhaps a blip for young folks with their life ahead but I do feel very sorry for those who are close to retirement & invested there.

About $700 billion evaporated from retirement plans, government pension funds and other investment portfolios.

You know that is the saddest perspective I have read yet.

It is perhaps a blip for young folks with their life ahead but I do feel very sorry for those who are close to retirement & invested there.

It is indeed sad, especially for those affected. You can read the whole article at

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080916/ap_on_...ancial_meltdown

that goes without saying. 60% loss of a currency over a period of seven years (vs. €UR) is nothing but peanuts and no justification for being biased :D

having said so i would like to add that your frequent comments on the Dollar make me yaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnn.... :o

If people say I am biased that's fine with me. I am not personally touched or hurt by such comments. Most of the time it are the Americans saying such things because the value of the Greenback is a personal matter to them and maybe it affects them personally in terms of income USD versus Thai Baht.

For me it's not a personal thing but I am very surprised that some members here act as if the economical and financial world is in Heaven with perfect green meadows, grazing herds, beautiful girls, nice warm weather with a mild breeze, sun shining and happy people chatting and sipping drinks on the veranda's of the cafe's looking at the newest convertibles from Bentley, Ferrari and Porsche...yeah, we wish, won't we ?

The reality is that 10's of thousands of highly intelligent and smart people just lost their jobs -highly paid- because IMMENSE GIANTS in the financial world just collapsed or are on the brink of collapsing.

Companies so LARGE and powerful that if anyone would have said here a year ago that all these companies would fall over they would have been sent to the nuthouse...escorted by the specialists of Thaivisa :D

To think that in such an environment the Greenback is and will STAY the strongest currency in the world - STILL- is like living in Utopia.

Some people are living in a dreamworld.

And, if the same people think the NIGHTMARES -Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, AIG (World's largest Insurer lost -93% in 1 year)), WaMu: lost -94% of stock value in 1 year, Goldman Sachs (3rd Q profits plunged -70%) Countrywide (bankrupt but taken over by BoA).....The BIG 3 in Detroit ? on the brink of collapsing.....I repeat: and, if the same people think the nightmares are over, than you better fasten your seatbelts because there is a LOT more to come Ladies & Gents.

If there are people here that think that in such an environment the rest of the world thinks....well...we still think the USD is fine....well you better have a strong whisky..or two; better, make it a bottle !

If there are people here that think that all those countries who have loads of bonds and assets in the USA are amused by the <deleted> America created, they're wrong because they will think not 2 but 3 or more times next time when they buy or invest something in good old America, the strongest Power on Earth.

The financial geniuses made a mess and should be put in jail for a long time instead and, if the police is busy picking them up there are a bunch in DC they should take as well :D

And, if some of you think I am biased ? OK, fine with me because I don't consider that as flaming or bashing :(

LaoPo

If people say I am biased that's fine with me. I am not personally touched or hurt by such comments. Most of the time it are the Americans saying such things because the value of the Greenback is a personal matter to them and maybe it affects them personally in terms of income USD versus Thai Baht.

For me it's not a personal thing but I am very surprised that some members here act as if the economical and financial world is in Heaven with perfect green meadows, grazing herds, beautiful girls, nice warm weather with a mild breeze, sun shining and happy people chatting and sipping drinks on the veranda's of the cafe's looking at the newest convertibles from Bentley, Ferrari and Porsche...yeah, we wish, won't we ?

The reality is that 10's of thousands of highly intelligent and smart people just lost their jobs -highly paid- because IMMENSE GIANTS in the financial world just collapsed or are on the brink of collapsing.

Companies so LARGE and powerful that if anyone would have said here a year ago that all these companies would fall over they would have been sent to the nuthouse...escorted by the specialists of Thaivisa :D

To think that in such an environment the Greenback is and will STAY the strongest currency in the world - STILL- is like living in Utopia.

Some people are living in a dreamworld.

And, if the same people think the NIGHTMARES -Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, AIG (World's largest Insurer lost -93% in 1 year)), WaMu: lost -94% of stock value in 1 year, Goldman Sachs (3rd Q profits plunged -70%) Countrywide (bankrupt but taken over by BoA).....The BIG 3 in Detroit ? on the brink of collapsing.....I repeat: and, if the same people think the nightmares are over, than you better fasten your seatbelts because there is a LOT more to come Ladies & Gents.

If there are people here that think that in such an environment the rest of the world thinks....well...we still think the USD is fine....well you better have a strong whisky..or two; better, make it a bottle !

If there are people here that think that all those countries who have loads of bonds and assets in the USA are amused by the <deleted> America created, they're wrong because they will think not 2 but 3 or more times next time when they buy or invest something in good old America, the strongest Power on Earth.

The financial geniuses made a mess and should be put in jail for a long time instead and, if the police is busy picking them up there are a bunch in DC they should take as well :D

And, if some of you think I am biased ? OK, fine with me because I don't consider that as flaming or bashing :(

LaoPo

I'm not saying you're biased for any of those reasons. And you're not the only one that is. I'm saying it because you're failing to give any credence to what you see and give more credence to what you think you believe, which of course means less tha zero. I'm not saying the $USD has bottomed. I'm saying it's going up, and it's not done going up.