Hydroponic Farming

MudDoc

I used to dabble in aquaponics. Had success with it. Now am keen to try hydroponics. My question is. I have been told if the water temperature rises above 27 degrees c nothing would grow. DOES ANYBODY HERE use a coooler for there water or not bother. The nutrients r expensive  so if i had to buy a cooler as well. Forget it.

interested in your feedback

cheers Cobbler

11 hours ago, cobbler said:

I used to dabble in aquaponics. Had success with it. Now am keen to try hydroponics. My question is. I have been told if the water temperature rises above 27 degrees c nothing would grow. DOES ANYBODY HERE use a coooler for there water or not bother. The nutrients r expensive  so if i had to buy a cooler as well. Forget it.

cheers Cobbler

Hello All, are you talking about a recirculating system? Most people put there tank under the channels 

or DIY PVC pipe, my friend had his tank barred part ways under the NTF channels, temp was not a problem. Accent hydro in BKK has their main supply tank below ground level.

I only use run to waste with bags of coir. I keep my nutrients in a blue barrel in a car port, never have

checked temps, except outside, if it's hot, give a weaker EC nutrient during the HOT part of the day.

I don't grow salad or greens, so the first part is what you want.

Another option is the DWC that Bangsai hydro offers, also better if you live in an area that has power

cuts. They also have their tank under the grow bed, in the shade.

rice555

• Like 1

Hi all, cobbler if you go back a few pages in this forum you will see a pic of my tomato setup which are drip fed all day with nutrient getting up around 30/35 degree C , I am sure you will see that the plants are very healthy, what happens to a hydroponic nutrient at very high temperatures  is that less Oxygen can be  held in solution so if you have any concern, use a cheap aerator in the supply tank and that will help, but I don't have any problem at all.

Cheers

Scoop

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On November 16, 2016 at 0:33 PM, cobbler said:

cheers Cobbler

Hello All, here's all my friend, he had no problems. With this system, unlike regular NTF chanels, with the bell reducers on the drain end, it keeps more liquid in the runs

which help to keep the temps more stable, you also don't go dry for short power cuts.

rice555

post-37242-007425500 1277837135 copy.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all, rice555, just wanted to show you a pic of the tomato's which are now running at EC 4.5 and drainage is at EC 6.0 and they are looking very good at this stage

Cheers

Scoop

Shollow bay tomato.jpg

• Like 1

Hello All, very nice looking Scoop, is that your tom cross?

I started to tie up some of my plants today and I have some

fruit and some just starting to get blossoms so I will be going

from EC 2.5 to EC 3.0. I do need to put a plant over a pan so I

can check my runoff EC.

rice555 

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 2:01 AM, rice555 said:

Hello All, very nice looking Scoop, is that your tom cross?

I started to tie up some of my plants today and I have some

fruit and some just starting to get blossoms so I will be going

from EC 2.5 to EC 3.0. I do need to put a plant over a pan so I

can check my runoff EC.

rice555 

Hi Rice, yes that is the Heirloom cross, I have already eaten one and the "Dry  Matter Content" { Flesh } was exceptional , it was basically seedless,  the next one I cut I will  photograph and post it on here, also I am at EC 5.5 at the moment and that's as high as I will take it at  this stage, but the results have been outstanding.

Cheers

Scoop

Edited by Scoop1

Good morning all, rice 555, this is a pic of the tomato's I have taken off some of the bottom trusses , the EC is at EC 5.0 and I will leave it at that level until crop is finished, the increased "Dry Matter Content" is as good as it gets, the taste is also superb

Cheers

Scoop

Shallow Bay EC 5.0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On December 28, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Scoop1 said:

Good morning all, rice 555, this is a pic of the tomato's I have taken off some of the bottom trusses , the EC is at EC 5.0 and I will leave it at that level until crop is finished, the increased "Dry Matter Content" is as good as it gets, the taste is also superb

Cheers

Scoop

Shallow Bay EC 5.0.jpg

Hello All, Scoop, I am I'mpressed with what the higher EC can do.  My plants are all small fruit,

but they are really the most productive that I've ever grown. I would post a pic or two, but I've

managed to put the miro SC card in assbackwards in my NEW phone and is in BKK for repair.

Will be going to EC 4.0 in a few days, it sure does eat up the nutrients fast.

rice555

Edited by rice555
spelling

Hello All, I'm going to move back to the States, Seattle area,

I have all the chems and micros, 25Kg bags: Magnesium

Sulphate 1 &1/2 bags, MKP 3/4 of a bag, Potassium Nitrate 1bag

plus 3kg, MAP 3/4 bag, Potassium Sulphate 7/8 of a bag,scales

(1kg x 1.g, 2kg x .01, 50g x .001), new Netfim 2" disc filter, a

bunch of Netafim hanging 4 way misters and spin head sprayers

(all PC), lots of Super Products fittings for 3/4" & 1" HDPE pipe,

some 16/20/25 HDPE tubing and hand tools and small bench

5 speed drill press still in banded/unopened box and more.

About 1K vine clips, 10Ft aluminum ladder, 500L blue tank un used. 

The Lot, C & C, I am in Korat out Hwy 226 close to the new 

ring road overpass over Hwy. 226. PM me if interested.

rice555

Edited by rice555
spelling

13 hours ago, rice555 said:

Hello All, I'm going to move back to the States, Seattle area,

I have all the chems and micros, 25Kg bags: Magnesium

Sulphate 1 &1/2 bags, MKP 3/4 of a bag, Potassium Nitrate 1bag

plus 3kg, MAP 3/4 bag, Potassium Sulphate 7/8 of a bag,scales

(1kg x 1.g, 2kg x .01, 50g x .001), new Netfim 2" disc filter, a

bunch of Netafim hanging 4 way misters and spin head sprayers

(all PC), lots of Super Products fittings for 3/4" & 1" HDPE pipe,

some 16/20/25 HDPE tubing and hand tools and small bench

5 speed drill press still in banded/unopened box and more.

About 1K vine clips, 10Ft aluminum ladder, 500L blue tank un used. 

The Lot, C & C, I am in Korat out Hwy 226 close to the new 

ring road overpass over Hwy. 226. PM me if interested.

rice555

Things have been reversed, I will be still needing my stuff.

rice555 

I wonder what the chance of having a pinned hydro/aquaponics thread would be ? There are some pinned topics that could be replaced as they dont have much activity. I will be building and operating some different systems for experimenting in our tropical environment. Everyone has a lot of info and exp. to share I think.

Good morning all, hereinthailand,  we have already tried to get that happening a few years back, one pinned topic for Hydroponics and one for Aquaponics but it fell on deaf ears, I  and many other posters thought it was definitely needed.

Cheers

Scoop

Maybe try again ? I mean some of the pinned topics that have no activity for two years could be swapped out for something a little more active. hydro/aqua is kinda like solar energy it has become a valid way to farm and I think more people would be doing it on a small scale if they had somewhere to learn about it in an easy way..

• Like 1

Any of you heard of Aquaponics Thailand.

Robert a nice guy and runs Aquaponics classes from his home set up in Sumut Prakarn. Pretty neat set ups and he has done a lot of experimenting.

Some pics I took at a 2 day workshop with him.

The grey round plastic thingy fits in the base of a 2000 L tank that airates the tank and causes a vortex that takes the fish poo out the bottom as well to the vegetable growth beds filled with that round volcanic type media.

Well that's the theory. I hope to catch up with Robert in a couple of weeks to finalise my order that I started last year.

383fc34a5b94627e636ca7f25bce3d70.jpg

0bf72f1144026c21569cec01454b1b85.jpg

f0b144d02807686b281d8c4b7e9d47bd.jpgfba38f623fe766907e448f89aef65072.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice stuff, I saw another guy on youtube in bkk doing some large scale aquaponics maybe the same ? My only concern with these setups here is with vegetables so cheap to buy at the market where is the ROI ?  Unless you can market to china I dont see investing in anything but homebrew systems to grow my own chemical free vegetables.

• Like 1

Nice stuff, I saw another guy on youtube in bkk doing some large scale aquaponics maybe the same ? My only concern with these setups here is with vegetables so cheap to buy at the market where is the ROI ?  Unless you can market to china I dont see investing in anything but homebrew systems to grow my own chemical free vegetables.

Yeah probably correct on the commercial side, but the thought of having fresh fish and vegetables on tap is tempting.

You can get 200 fish per 2000 L tank with 2 or 4 vegetable growth beds (can't remember which).

The initial set up is a bit expensive for the imported, good quality filter beeds and food grade fish tank.

I don't see this set up as being commercially viable, but Robert says he's experimenting with stacked containers.

Any of you heard of Aquaponics Thailand.

Robert a nice guy and runs Aquaponics classes from his home set up in Sumut Prakarn. Pretty neat set ups and he has done a lot of experimenting.

Some pics I took at a 2 day workshop with him.

The grey round plastic thingy fits in the base of a 2000 L tank that airates the tank and causes a vortex that takes the fish poo out the bottom as well to the vegetable growth beds filled with that round volcanic type media.

Well that's the theory. I hope to catch up with Robert in a couple of weeks to finalise my order that I started last year.

383fc34a5b94627e636ca7f25bce3d70.jpg

0bf72f1144026c21569cec01454b1b85.jpg

f0b144d02807686b281d8c4b7e9d47bd.jpgfba38f623fe766907e448f89aef65072.jpg

Yes, I know him. He's a nice guy and has a lot of knowledge from experience.
But his equipment far too expensive for commercial scale.
If you want to do more than hobby you need to buy directly at factory / import from China.

Yes, I know him. He's a nice guy and has a lot of knowledge from experience.
But his equipment far too expensive for commercial scale.
If you want to do more than hobby you need to buy directly at factory / import from China.

Hi clw. got some links?

I hate the Lame Chabang thing and have been there a few times.

You must have the paperwork all sorted?

Hi clw. got some links?

I hate the Lame Chabang thing and have been there a few times.

You must have the paperwork all sorted?

Sorry, no links.
But once I got irrigation equipment from China. No hassle.
The company had a booth at the SIMA ASEAN exhibition.
They provided everything including delivery to your door.
So my suggestion is to look at the next AG fair in March for some Chinese exhibitor.
Maybe you are lucky and they can provide AP stuff.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, cobbler said:

Love your work guys. 2 questions.
1,Are you mixing your own hydroponic mix from start,or buying the hydroponic formula?
2, Are you selling your vegies / tomates?

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I weigh out each chem, from  .135g to 1200.g to make my 3(ABC)

or 4(ABCD) part mix's.

Scoop1 has been the one that dialed all my(HIS) formulas in.

I had planed to grow and direct sell to one place and he would

take all I could produce, nobody imported regularly as it's a small

nich market.

It all started as a hobby, no rush to make $. It was grow here in

Korat and send to BKK.

Time to go to Lotus Phi Mi.

How many different strains in the pic? Test grow for size and if they

could take some rain, great prices around the end of April.

rice555

For G..png

• Like 2