Big Fire Rages Through Bangkok Squatter Community

george

Big fire rages through Bangkok squatter community

BANGKOK: -- A massive fire broke out at a squatter community in Bangkok Friday.

The fire broke out at the Sawadwari Srimaram on Soi Wat Khae in Dusit district at 11:40 am.

At press time, the fire has already burnt down 15 out of some 50 houses in the community and fire fighters are still struggling to control the blaze.

-- The Nation

Sounds like the Suan Plu fire a few years ago. History repeats itself.
Was that around immigration? By Soi 8? I notice the old Google Earth maps have a whole lot more shanty towns in the area and now there are many more condos and construction sites.

Can someone assist me with the exact location of this community/fire?

I'm having trouble with the location, searches online have not helped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm pretty sure this is Wat Sawatwari Simaram (วัดสวัสดิ์วารีสีมาราม). I can't find Soi Khae, but there is a Wat Khae Tai (วัดแคใต้). I don't see a soi with that name, but it might just be a really small soi and so may not be marked. That wat might be near Soi Khae.

Wat Sawatwari Simaram is in the center of this map (from Google maps).

Sorry there aren't English street names. I will try to attach an image of that map with Wat Sawat Simaram hilighted in red.

Regards.

-oev

post-22359-1194914507_thumb.jpg

Can someone assist me with the exact location of this community/fire?

I'm having trouble with the location, searches online have not helped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm pretty sure this is Wat Sawatwari Simaram (?????????????????????). I can't find Soi Khae, but there is a Wat Khae Tai (????????). I don't see a soi with that name, but it might just be a really small soi and so may not be marked. That wat might be near Soi Khae.

Wat Sawatwari Simaram is in the center of this map (from Google maps).

Sorry there aren't English street names. I will try to attach an image of that map with Wat Sawat Simaram hilighted in red.

Regards.

-oev

Thank you so much!!

This definitely helps. I can manage without English names... in a way. I am a documentary photographer and plan to do a story on this event, preferably a cross section of a single family. Whether or not they choose to move back. Finding these communities is rather a challenge. I put out some emails to the editors of the Bangkok Post and The Nation, without any reply. Being from the U.S., a trip out there with limited time and no exact location... well, it would affect the essay I'm afraid.

Once again, thank you!! My first break!

If you or anyone one else has any further information, I would be indepted

Cheers!

Matt-