Loi Kratong At The Maejo University Meditation Centre

wpbr

I would also like to know. Got some wicked piccies of it last year from there. IMHO this is WAY better than the firework chucking lunacy that the cities event plays host to.

Ssshhhh! Dont tell everyone!

Phil

PS - Here's a piccie from last years (Yee Peng Festival I think they called it in MaeJo - maybe its a regional name for it)

post-29383-1194690622_thumb.jpg

Edited by mallmagician

Ok. Having spoken to a few friends. The event is happening (bearing in mind this is just what I have heard, so more solid evidence would be appreciated). The Yee Peng Festival is happening in Mae Jo, on the 22nd/23rd of this month.

I will continue to research, and in fact, may go to the venue to get a more accurate date, but this is to give you an idea based on a few thai friends who live in the area.

Cheers

Phil

It's definitely a beautiful spectacle. The only drawback is that with so many lanterns rising up at once--thousands, many with fireworks attached--the scene transforms from peaceful full-moon ritual to full-blown battleground within minutes. Last year I watched a tree catch fire, a man get burned on the leg by a roman candle, and dozens of people (my loved ones and I included) escaping back to their cars as hot ash rained down upon them. I'm not saying don't go, but if you do, wear a hat, dress in black, and carry a bottle of water.

I really enjoy the whole Loi Krathong festival citywide- particularly the lanterns by the thousands in the night sky, and the procession downtown with the elaborate figures, etc. But I live near CMU, and out here it sounds like a non-stop war zone at times, with the jokers who set off BIG barrel-bomb fireworks at all hours- even at 2 or 3 AM. Arng Kaew reservoir in CMU becomes an ungodly mess of empty/broken beer bottles, there are huge splotches of gooey parrafin everywhere, and a crazy amount of debris in the trees from the descending kites. Sometimes I wonder why the entire forest out here doesn't just erupt in flames and burn to the ground.....what ever happened to sending a nice, bio-degradable offering with a little candle down the river, to purify? :o

Does anyone know yet the exact date of this event? As I recall, last year it was about a week before Loy Krathong but I couldn't get there in time and could only watch from afar. Appreciate if someone could please provide directions. Thanks.

Does anyone know yet the exact date of this event? As I recall, last year it was about a week before Loy Krathong but I couldn't get there in time and could only watch from afar. Appreciate if someone could please provide directions. Thanks.

I am also interested in hearing more about the festival - where to go, and when, for the best experience.

Also, I am interested in Meditation Centres in Chiang Mai. Is the Maejo one just for students ? Are there places for someone who doesn't speak Thai ? (Sorry if that is a bit off-topic.)

Saturday 25th it is on. Confirmed.

Confirmed how?? I just drove by there to check it out and my Thai GF says the signs say November 24th, starting at 5:00PM. Advertising "5,000 Lanterns". We drove around a couple times and I asked "are sure?" enough to aggravate her (wouldn't be the first time she was wrong). :o

I think we need another look/confirmation.

Saturday 25th it is on. Confirmed.

Confirmed how?? I just drove by there to check it out and my Thai GF says the signs say November 24th, starting at 5:00PM. Advertising "5,000 Lanterns". We drove around a couple times and I asked "are sure?" enough to aggravate her (wouldn't be the first time she was wrong). :o

I think we need another look/confirmation.

Will be grateful if you can give clear directions to the celebrations site at Maejo University, say from Huay Kaew Road. Will be in town during this period and would like to join in the festivities. Thanks in advance.