Webster University

Storekeeper

It's closer to Hua Hin than to Cha-am. The teaching is excellent with small and open classes. There will be a new programme of Buddhist Studies starting in October. Thai and Japanese can also be studied. There is an emphasis upon socially engaged Buddhism.

It's closer to Hua Hin than to Cha-am. The teaching is excellent with small and open classes. There will be a new programme of Buddhist Studies starting in October. Thai and Japanese can also be studied. There is an emphasis upon socially engaged Buddhism.

Will the "Buddhist Studies" be a full fledged Bachelors or Masters Program ? If so, I would totally want to do this vice their MBA or International Relations programs. I'm more of a liberal arts type. Buddhist Studies fits better also with a life long learner mindset.

As far as I understand there will be a number of options for Buddhist Studies at Webster University.

There will be a number of new teaching staff and the emphasis will be on Engaged Buddhism. With this is mind there will also be introductory classes in Buddhism, Hinduism and the Religions of the East.

Thai and Japanes can also be studied.

Finally, there will be an option of field trips to various Buddhist sites.

At present this is all part of an undergraduate degree programme either in Religious Studies or as part of other degrees.

As I understand the situation, students can attnd Webster University for a single term and take various options in Buddhist Studies.

Hope this all helps

Herbs,

Thank you very much. I'm still at least two years from deciding which school I want to attend and what program I'll pursue. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either Webster University or Bangkok University. Whichever school has a MA liberal arts program I'll probably go for. If it boils down to a MBA program I'll probably go for BU. Thanks for your help.

Unless money is your object, BU would not stack up to Webster at the MBA level, IMO. Webster has an excellent Liberal arts program. That is the original concept the school was founded on. Webster also has quite a few famous and or highly successful graduates. They are also all over the place with various satellite campus locations around the world. Webster's bread and butter is their business program. The way I see it the liberal arts stuff is just icing on the cake! :o

Unless money is your object, BU would not stack up to Webster at the MBA level, IMO. Webster has an excellent Liberal arts program. That is the original concept the school was founded on. Webster also has quite a few famous and or highly sucessful graduates. They are also all over the place with various satellite campus locations around the world. Webster's bread and butter is their business program. The way I see it the liberal arts stuff is just icing on the cake! :o

Thanks for the input. Too be totally honest, I really don't want a rigorous program. I just want an accredited program that I can approach from the "Life-long Learner" perspective and utilize my GI Bill benefits. I don't need the schooling but I don't want to waste the opportunity either. If I don't find a master's program that fits my needs I'll just consider doing a Bachelor's program. Thanks for the input.

• 3 months later...

Hi:

Another possible option (maybe you already consdidered it?) is to center your learning on Webster's online courses. You can be a resident at the Webster Campus and take courses in many fields.

If you are nearby, go & take a look and talk to the students and faculty.

Good luck!

R/Bryan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I try and keep my posts upbeat but Webster is awful (imho).

During Spring 1 last year they had less than 400 students st the campus. Most were non-thai asian hoping that going there would make a visa to the US easier to achieve in the future.

The students were over-all pretty awesome and 1/2 of the prof's were good too!

The infra structure sucks though. The IT development on campus is poor. Many of the computers in the library and the computer lab were non-functional.

The communication between St Louis financial aid and Thailand was poor.

The commute is a pain in the ass, at least 30 minutes by bus along some truly badly rutted roads. Even on your own motorcycle it's a haul.

On the other hand ... BU's International School is in the heart of BKK (not out at the main campus.) The whole campus is Wi-Fi enabled. The library has more books (in Eng) than Webster (Cha Am).

The instructors I met are at least of the same quality as the ones in Cha Am (with the exclusion of Kuhn Ted ... he's AWESOME)

My next series of classes here in Thailand start on Jan 10 when I begin at Chula in the Intensive Thai Language program. 45 weeks ... 20 hours a week on one subject UGH! By the end of that time I am hoping to be able to read and write Thai though!