Favorite Spicy Thai Dish?

sbk

I love Ho-mok --steamed fish curry in a banana leaf. Often served on a bed of basil but I prefer bai lepclut.

hor_mok.jpg

Terrific thread here about Hor Mok Talay if anyone is interested in making it themselves

I also love Laab and something called Plah quoit (Thai south) it is a salted fish curry--usually made from a large fish like a barracuda-- that is cooked a long time in a coconut milk curry. The combination of the salty fish, sweet coconut and spicy chili is delicious. The best kind is cooked a really long time so it is quite thick --otherwise the fish won't soften enough.

Hor Muk - one of my favorites too! But "Nam Prik Pla Tu" if the Nam Prik is really fragrant (depends very much on the Kapi (fish paste) being used, nothing really beats it!

"Nam Prik Pau" with fresh Veggies... "Kanom Chine Nam Yaa", my favorite "Nam Yaa" is made from either Tuna or "Pla Tu"

Paneng - dark red, almost brown in color and with Palm Sugar not white Sugar, lots of finely cut "Bai Makut" (Kaffiar Lime Leaves)...

In fact there are only 2 or 3 items I don't like.... Those are: Pla Raa, Po Dong (Som Tam), Nor Mai Dong (Gaeng Som)

Hor Muk - one of my favorites too! But "Nam Prik Pla Tu" if the Nam Prik is really fragrant (depends very much on the Kapi (fish paste) being used, nothing really beats it!

"Nam Prik Pau" with fresh Veggies... "Kanom Chine Nam Yaa", my favorite "Nam Yaa" is made from either Tuna or "Pla Tu"

Paneng - dark red, almost brown in color and with Palm Sugar not white Sugar, lots of finely cut "Bai Makut" (Kaffiar Lime Leaves)...

In fact there are only 2 or 3 items I don't like.... Those are: Pla Raa, Po Dong (Som Tam), Nor Mai Dong (Gaeng Som)

I'm with Samuian on the dislikes! Most of the locals love Gaeng Som but blech :D My husband could (and sometimes does) eat it every day. Pla Raa and Som Tam, no thanks. Not into fermented things :o

Kanom jeen is good but tends to make my tummy a bit upset--- not sure why. Most things don't bother me, but that one does.

Kanom jeen is good but tends to make my tummy a bit upset--- not sure why. Most things don't bother me, but that one does.

hmmmm.. get the "Kanom Chine" from the market and make the "Nam Yaa" yourself, it's safest! :o (Never had any problems with that!) but occasional from stuff bought at market stalls... never know!

Yeah, on some reason locals do like Gaeng Som a lot... maybe because they've grown up with it...like Isaan people with this smelly fermented stuff... :D

Forgot the Name but there is a southern style Salad I love a lot too - it's green Mango (julienned), roasted Cashews, small dried Squid, roasted or deep fried, some add "Woonsen" (Glassnoodles), spices as chillies, red Onion, Spring Onions...Lime... :D

My favourite spicy dish would probably have to be 'Yum Pladook Foo'. (Thai-style spicy salad with deep fried crunchy catfish)

Another tangy dish i love is 'Yum Woon Sen' (Thai-style spicy salad with glass noodles). All in all, just give me that dipping sauce made of fish sauce, lime juice and stacks of chilli powder, anyday. The one which is often served with fried pork/beef/chicken and even sticky rice.

For spicy Southern food, my fave is 'Khanom Jeen Nam Ya Krati' (Rice noodles in coconut milk curry). I mean in the South they really give it some taste. In the central region they prefer a much blander variety.

In general though, Southern Thai food is supposedly the spiciest in Thailand with Nakhorn Sri Thammarat province holding the award as having the spiciest food in Thailand.

yum ma muang for sure.. this pic is about medium spicy, but i had to consider the people who were eating with me when i made it - they arent in to spice.

Also i am really into som dtum (thai) and lately i ve been getting down with dtum thai gai yang.. very nice.. but who can forget the Laab family ? Laab moo ( and Laab moo tod and Laab gai yaang) although Laab dishes are rarely spicy mainly people the people who make then usually dont add prik thai and always seem to just use prik bon ( dried chili powder )

Although i love the yum mango, you never ever go wrong with the class dtum thai.. especially if you dont put in palm sugar, wow can really bring the heat out. I really dont mind dtum Lao either but i would say i definitely prefer dtum Thai.

ps.. just wanna note how much i hate writing and reading the names of Thai dishes in English.. just doesnt do them justice.

post-19581-1195063176_thumb.jpg