Inhumane Treatment Of Dogs

chevykanteve

I just (20 minutes ago) saw a pickup with the rear portion caged. Three beautiful ma baan dogs were in the cage. They will be starved and then killed for their meat. The starvation lasts for everal days. Death, I believe, is by hammer. The fresh-dog-meat market is located in a neighbouring province. The price per kilogram for the finished product is around 120 baht per kilogram.

Note that a ma baan is very similar to a husky. It is a smart animal. The people who sell these poor beasts, for around 20 baht each, or 70 cents US, do so out of poverty. Yet, my pet dog --also a husky-- yelped in sympathetic pain, as did other neighbours' dogs, as it watched and heard the disgusting capture (=sale) of the helpless animals.

My location is Phontong District, Roi-et Province.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerald (The Traveling Soi Dog) just phoned me, he was sobbing uncontrollably :o

It's very sad, but 1) people do go to great lengths to eat & 2) what death of a domesticated animal for consumption is *truely* humane

Anyways, i got some hugging to do.

It's very sad, but 1) people do go to great lengths to eat & 2) what death of a domesticated animal for consumption is *truely* humane

the way some village thai's are brought up they know no different ,in there eyes it the same as us eating buffalo or cows .

the way some village thai's are brought up they know no different ,in there eyes it the same as us eating buffalo or cows .

I do respect your posts, Lazeeboy, but I must disagree with you on this topic. I mean, most people in the Northeast DO NOT and WOULD NOT eat dog meat. To wit, dog meat is most definitely NOT synonymous with buffalo/cow meat, other than perhaps in Surin Province and the market therein, which is in fact the destination of these poor and helpless beasts.

BBC, please take note, as you have before.

I just (20 minutes ago) saw a pickup with the rear portion caged. Three beautiful ma baan dogs were in the cage. They will be starved and then killed for their meat. The starvation lasts for everal days. Death, I believe, is by hammer. The fresh-dog-meat market is located in a neighbouring province. The price per kilogram for the finished product is around 120 baht per kilogram.

Note that a ma baan is very similar to a husky. It is a smart animal. The people who sell these poor beasts, for around 20 baht each, or 70 cents US, do so out of poverty. Yet, my pet dog --also a husky-- yelped in sympathetic pain, as did other neighbours' dogs, as it watched and heard the disgusting capture (=sale) of the helpless animals.

Your dog and the others told you that their vocalizations were sympathetic? No, that's just a reflex owing to dog's evolution as pack animals. They certainly weren't passing a moral judgement.

The only part of the report that's even vaguely troubling is that animals are held for several days without food before being processed. If they're being starved to save on the cost of feed, that's reprehensible. However it might be important that the bowels be empty at slaughter to prevent spoiling the meat.

Other than that, what's inhumane about it? You cite the dog's intelligence; pigs are smarter and we eat them. People put all sorts of animals in cages for all sorts of reasons, some good and some bad. Cows are stunned with a blow to the head in many abattoirs before they're bled out; kosher and hillal butchery forbid even that.

What is certain is that Rover, like most meat, is quite delicious if prepared well. The rest is just anthropomorphic posturing.

Sakhon Nakhon is the main centre for dog meat, I believe, but those pickups seem to cover the whole Isaan region. They turn up in my wife's village in Ubon. No-one there would even contemplate eating dog meat. There were reports a little while back that a lot of the dogs are sent to the Vietnamese market.

If this is the worst it gets in animal cruelty, the earth would become heaven.

However, I would have reacted exactly the same as you did 20 yrs ago. But now for me this is really just life.

Maybe if the day comes when animals(human beings) are treated better themselves, things might improve. But I doubt very much.

Your dog and the others told you that their vocalizations were sympathetic? No, that's just a reflex owing to dog's evolution as pack animals. They certainly weren't passing a moral judgement.

The only part of the report that's even vaguely troubling is that animals are held for several days without food before being processed. If they're being starved to save on the cost of feed, that's reprehensible. However it might be important that the bowels be empty at slaughter to prevent spoiling the meat.

Other than that, what's inhumane about it? You cite the dog's intelligence; pigs are smarter and we eat them. People put all sorts of animals in cages for all sorts of reasons, some good and some bad. Cows are stunned with a blow to the head in many abattoirs before they're bled out; kosher and hillal butchery forbid even that.

What is certain is that Rover, like most meat, is quite delicious if prepared well. The rest is just anthropomorphic posturing.

I totally agree. I often have a hard time understanding why people get outraged at the thought of eating dogs (or other domestic animals) but have no such qualms about eating pig (which are as you say, intelligent, also their meat is supposed to be closest to human meat) or other beasts. Anyway, the treatment of animals for consumption is generally appalling. For some reason people have no similar sentiments when considering how badly a cow/chicken/pig is treated and killed. Tbh i find all hypocritical. For me, in an ideal world, if people desire to eat meat, the animals should be contained humanly, then killed humanly. Be-it dog, cat, pig, chicken, or any other animal.

Edited by eek

It's protein. During WWII my mum bought horse meat to supplement the family meals. Sad as it is it happens. Down here if friends and family bring it I eat "bush meat". Wild pig, deer and frog. If you were starving and it was you or the dog, what would you do? Don't get me wrong I love dogs and cats and would not dream of harming them. It annoys me when they are killed by cars and just left to rot. My wife is disdainful of the NE Thais that eat dog. However this is Thailand, if you don't like what the locals are doing move south.

we make a difference in feeling about dogs to eg pigs as we keep them as cuddly pets. most thais don't do that, and if then only with special bred dogs like poodles etc. here is a different view on this, which is heartbreaking for us westerners, thankfully not all people in thailand think this way but many.

all animals kept and killed for consumption are treated inhumane and have no life as such. these dogs at least had their freedom before they were caught. of course there is no need for eating dogs, there are other meats and people eat too much meat anyway.

who can make the world a better place? (for the animals that is) :o

I thought they only ate dogs in Korea. Thailand?
Heres a true story about Thailand,. i stayed at my inlaws for the first time in 2000 nr det udon N.E ThaIland,. i was waken one morning by a guy screaming in thai into a loud hailer, i asked my wife " what the helis that ?,. she said, take a look, i saw a pick up with about 20 cages with about 10 dogs in and a stack of black ruber buckets on the back, i still didnt get it, so i asked her what it was all about,she said if you have a dog you dont want you can exchange it for a new bucket,. when i asked of the dogs fate it made me feel sick, i was advised they are taken north where the locals eat them, so, to answer your question, yes kaow pat maa does seem to be on the menu in certain areas ! :o

Sadly no one can.

Either fool yourself that nothing is happening coz you don't see it or be sad all the time. I am sad all the time.

I prefer to be neither. Try to take positive action, even if in small measures. Be informed, not ignorant, and make conscious choices. The fact is, even small actions can count toward making positive changes. Turning a blind eye, or being unhappy about a situation but doing nothing, is nonconstructive.

how does it differ? some cultures wont eat, pig, some wont eat dog, who is to say who is right?

the only difference is how the animals are treated.

Gerald (The Traveling Soi Dog) just phoned me, he was sobbing uncontrollably :D

how does it differ? some cultures wont eat, pig, some wont eat dog, who is to say who is right?

Yes, and that's the whole point here - the dogs are being abused before death :o .

Edited by WaiWai

Sadly no one can.

Either fool yourself that nothing is happening coz you don't see it or be sad all the time. I am sad all the time.

I prefer to be neither. Try to take positive action, even if in small measures. Be informed, not ignorant, and make conscious choices. The fact is, even small actions can count toward making positive changes. Turning a blind eye, or being unhappy about a situation but doing nothing, is nonconstructive.

Actions like? Don't misunderstand, I am not arguing.

I do my part too. I have taken care of my 2 little cats for 10 yrs and given them a very comfortable life. I will report any animal abuse but unfortunately the society doesn't care much about it.

But I still feel sad due to the awareness of cruelty that exists. Imagine just as we are typing here, how many tortures are going on around every corner on earth. Life is bound to be cruel. It is a fact that cannot be changed. It is only how you see things that can be changed.

:D

Don't see the problem with eating Maa Baan. As far as being cruel is concerned it's a bit much to be only concerned with how a dog is treated when we all know that in general ALL animals farmed for meat are treated with some degree of cruelty. And as another poster said dogs are not even that smart, pigs are far smarter, fact.

The fact is if it bothers you that much be a Vegitarian otherwise just accept it's part of life, I don't see anything much different about eating dog than any other animal, in fact it's ok as meat. Especially the maa baan husky kind as they are bred for thier tender meat and flavour.

The only problem here is pet association and the family unit thing. It's irrational but has a degree of influencing peoples thinking. I would have a problem eating my own pets sure but no worries about eating any animal that was'nt.

Gerald (The Traveling Soi Dog) just phoned me, he was sobbing uncontrollably :D

Yes, and that's the whole point here - the dogs are being abused before death :o .

Go and work in an abattoir for a while and come back and post? I would say it is very good already if human beings do not deliberately add pain to animals. You can't expect the people walking those dogs with leashes, can you?

Thai Buddhists generally are opposed to eating dog because they are believed to possess the reincarnated souls of humans.

They are usually only eaten in our village by the young men as it supposedly passes on to the consumer the animals bravery and ferocity,consumed with rice whisky there usually follows punch ups galore as they test out the theory.

As stated in an earlier post, Sakhon Nakhon is the main centre of the dog meat trade as many of the inhabitants are of Laos descent.

The dog trade is usually curtailed during the Buddhist Lent, but as that has just passed ,the dog trucks are back on the road again.