Savings Account In Los

mcr

I know that Thai law allows a foreigner with a tourist visa to open a bank account with just their passport; but every bank I go to insists on seeing a work permit. I called call center for one bank and was told it is up to discretion of branch manager regarding work permit being required. Does anyone know of a bank in Bangkok that will open an account without requiring a work permit? I am getting tired of carrying around a lot of cash and plan on being in Thailand on tourist visas for at least 6 to 9 months.

I know that Thai law allows a foreigner with a tourist visa to open a bank account with just their passport; but every bank I go to insists on seeing a work permit.  I called call center for one bank and was told it is up to discretion of branch manager regarding work permit being required.  Does anyone know of a bank in Bangkok that will open an account without requiring a work permit?  I am getting tired of carrying around a lot of cash and plan on being in Thailand on tourist visas for at least 6 to 9 months.

I am with Kasikorn Bank, formerly Thai Farmer's Bank, and they have never asked me for a WP to open an account...

However, last year, a manager suggested to me that without a WP on file, I wouldn't get any interest, or if I did get interest, 15% of that would be deducted for taxes (something about a new rule from the Bank of Thailand) A few months later, I saw that they had paid the interest, but another debit, equalling 15% of the interest, also showed.

Seems to be a lot of inconsistency on this issue, and others have reported the same problem here as you have..

Good luck :o

Whichever bank you decide upon, make it close to the area you normally use for ATM access - remember that outside your 'service zone' it will cost you 10 baht per transaction to use your own bank's ATM machine per transaction and if you use other banks - another 10 baht per transaction.

May not be much, but over a few months it does add up.

Another thing - you head the thread 'Savings Account in Thailand'.

You will not get a savings account (interest given) but a checking account with ATM card. This, as you do not have a work permit. Maybe this has been your problem - asking for a savings account. Ask for a checking account.

You will not get a savings account (interest given) but a checking account with ATM card. This, as you do not have a work permit. Maybe this has been your problem - asking for a savings account. Ask for a checking account.

Wrong! The only account available without a work permit is a savings account of the passbook type (current access rather than fixed deposit).

Whichever bank you decide upon, make it close to the area you normally use for ATM access - remember that outside your 'service zone' it will cost you 10 baht per transaction to use your own bank's ATM machine per transaction and if you use other banks - another 10 baht per transaction.

May not be much, but over a few months it does add up.

There is a charge if you use atm outside of home area but all of a city will be in one area. Use of another atm in your normal area is only charged after the third time in one month and the charge is 3 baht (ATM POOL).

I Never bothered with a bank account here just give everything to my Thai GF every month and she looks after it, must be doing a good job because every time I ask for some she says no its invested and she can't get access to it.. :o

I wouldn't mind a few baht for a beer every now and then, but in her defense she does get me a couple of singha's every week from the local shop..

Wrong! The only account available without a work permit is a savings account of the passbook type (current access rather than fixed deposit).

My understanding and experience is the same as Lopburi3's..

I've had a Thai Military Bank Savings account for the last few years. Opened it in Pattaya with only my passport. Comes with a passbook and ATM card.

I think, provided you have the funds, you can withdraw up to 60,000 Baht a day from their ATM's.

Don't think you get much/any interest as they also tax your account for being a foreigner. My thai wife has the same type of account but she isn't taxed.

I went to BKK bank a few weeks back to add my name to my wifes account, she is still single as far as Thailand is concerned, I was only in LOS on a tourist visa, it was going to be no probs getting a ATM/debit card in my name, with just my passport, but what I wanted is a Visa/debit card, meaning I want to be able to pay for large purchases with the card and not have to go to an ATM before hand, still using my/our own money of course, not credit.

But was told this type of card was not available, does anyone know if this is correct?

Ta in advance :o

If you are In BKK try Standard Chartered on Sathorn, its called Standard Chartered Nakothorn now since it merged.

I have a Visa debit card, 100K a day ATM limit and telephone banking, they also gave me a Gold Visa Card with 120k limit after 12 months. ( Jing Jing )

Customer service is superb, you have your own customer service person and they even call you when you have an inward transfer, unlike BKK bank who seem to avoid you when you have one so they can hang on to it a bit longer.

I went to BKK bank a few weeks back to add my name to my wifes account, she is still single as far as Thailand is concerned, I was only in LOS on a tourist visa, it was going to be no probs getting a ATM/debit card in my name, with just my passport, but what I wanted is a Visa/debit card, meaning I want to be able to pay for large purchases with the card and not have to go to an ATM before hand, still using my/our own money of course, not credit.

But was told this type of card was not available, does anyone know if this is correct?

Ta in advance :o

Can't speak for BKK Bank, but Kasikorn Bank has both options, and it's up to you, not the bank, in this case. The Visa Debit card, able to use outside of Thailand, too, is 300 baht, if I remember correctly.