Retirement Extension Renewal

For the purposes of this question, I entered Thailand on December 10th 2006 on a Tourist Visa which I then had converted to a Non-Immigrant O while I got the paperwork ready for a retirement extension application granted in March. My O visa is valid until 10th December 2007 and so I need to re-apply for the retirement extension now. My question is do I need exactly the same set of documents again, given that the Consular letter that verified my pension income referred to the current year is still valid (ie I can get a new one but the evidence etc will be exactly the same, it'll just cost another 1750 to have the date changed).

Document Checklist:

Pictures

Bank Book

Passport Copies

Income Letter?

Proof of Address

Anything else? Thanks in advance.

This will be extension two and you will use the same type of paperwork but will need a new income letter from your Embassy from recent reports (old are no longer acceptable). 4x6cm photo taken in last six months (they do check it has not been used before). Bank passbook/copies(signed) and letter from bank of account balance. Passport front page and anything from change of visa on/copies(signed). Arrival card/copy(signed). Embassy letter. Don't believe proof of address is required if it has not changed but take what you have just in case.

This will be extension two and you will use the same type of paperwork but will need a new income letter from your Embassy from recent reports (old are no longer acceptable). 4x6cm photo taken in last six months (they do check it has not been used before). Bank passbook/copies(signed) and letter from bank of account balance. Passport front page and anything from change of visa on/copies(signed). Arrival card/copy(signed). Embassy letter. Don't believe proof of address is required if it has not changed but take what you have just in case.

I have found that Pattaya Immigration are accepting original income letters from the embassy even if they are 1 or 2 years old. I renewed my retirement visa yesterday using last years letter which I also used last year. My friend renewed his ret. visa last week using his original letter which was 2 years old. Immigration kept both mine and my friends original letters making it necessary to obtain a new income letter when we renew our visas next year.

For the purposes of this question, I entered Thailand on December 10th 2006 on a Tourist Visa which I then had converted to a Non-Immigrant O while I got the paperwork ready for a retirement extension application granted in March. My O visa is valid until 10th December 2007 and so I need to re-apply for the retirement extension now. My question is do I need exactly the same set of documents again, given that the Consular letter that verified my pension income referred to the current year is still valid (ie I can get a new one but the evidence etc will be exactly the same, it'll just cost another 1750 to have the date changed).

Document Checklist:

Pictures

Bank Book

Passport Copies

Income Letter?

Proof of Address

I'm not sure about this. You applied for and received permission to stay based on retirement at some time during the year (March?). On the stamp that says "Extension of stay permitted up to . . . " and then a date. What is this date? They do not enter a new visa in your passport, the extension stamp is the only thing. You apply for a renewal when this extension expires, not when the original visa does. Repeat, you will not get a new visa, just the stamp extending the permission to stay.

Edited by lanny

I'm not sure about this. You applied for and received permission to stay based on retirement at some time during the year (March?). On the stamp that says "Extension of stay permitted up to . . . " and then a date. What is this date? They do not enter a new visa in your passport, the extension stamp is the only thing. You apply for a renewal when this extension expires, not when the original visa does. Repeat, you will not get a new visa, just the stamp extending the permission to stay.

My extension expires on December 10th 2007 which is the anniversary of my original entry date - when they changed my Tourist visa for an O they made it valid from my original date of entry. I expect to get another year from that date.

Tourist Visa dated 10/12/06

Upgraded it to Non-O dated 17/1/07 valid to 16/4/07

Retirement Extension dated 16/3/07 with permission to stay until 10/12/07

Multiple Re-Entry Permit issued 29/3/07 valid to 10/12/07

It seems fairly clear to me and I think I understand what I'm doing but set it out as above just by way of explanation for anyone else interested in the thread. My original hope (but fading fast) was whether the income letter I used in March would still be valid since it's significantly less than a year old.

I'll let you know.

You don't need the income statement if you have 800k in a bank account for the preceding three months.

I don't keep an 800k balance, so that's why I need the letter.

I can't seem to get the TM7 form to format properly in Word 2003. I have Angsana loaded and I'm fairly sure it worked in the past but it runs over three pages and is a protected document so I can't fool around with it. Any ideas?

I have tried using both the pinned items at top of forum and direct from Immigration and both work fine. You are sure it is being opened by Word as don't believe Open Office displays right. If word I would download the fonts again to make sure. If all else fails you can download a non-fill PDF version that you can print out and fill out by hand. It is available here

I have tried using both the pinned items at top of forum and direct from Immigration and both work fine. You are sure it is being opened by Word as don't believe Open Office displays right. If word I would download the fonts again to make sure. If all else fails you can download a non-fill PDF version that you can print out and fill out by hand. It is available here

Thanks for checking. It must be something to do with the way Word is set up so I'll work on it.

I have tried using both the pinned items at top of forum and direct from Immigration and both work fine.

Turned out that Angsana wasn't installed despite appearing in the font toolbar and Word didn't make it obvious that it was doing a font substitution. Problem easily fixed.

Immigration predictably wanted a new Income Letter from the British Consulate. This now costs 2,482 bht, up from about 1760 last March. Ouch! Otherwise all went smoothly and I was in and out of Immigration in Chiang Mai within an hour. Sadly, my expensive multiple re-entry permit which was purchased in March will now have to be renewed despite not having run for the full year since they won't apply it to the new extension - if I'd forseen this I would have just gone for re-entry permits when needed.

Thanks to those who responded to the original question.

Don't believe proof of address is required if it has not changed but take what you have just in case.

What exactly do you use for 'proof of address?' And, according to the law, my wife is supposed to report my presence to the authorities each time I show up at our house after being abroad. She's never done this. Does Immigration somehow match this 'proof of address' with this alien-in-my-house report?

Upgraded it to Non-O dated 17/1/07 valid to 16/4/07
My O visa is valid until 10th December 2007

Your O visa is *not* valid until 10 Dec 2007. It expired on 16 April 2007 per your info above. This is where lanny is coming from.

Common mistake. Heck, some honorary Thai consulates -- and even the Ministry of Foreign Affairs -- think that getting an extension of stay based on retirement criteria means getting a Non Imm O-A visa from Immigration. Confusing, for sure.

The only way you'll ever see a valid O visa in your passport again is if you leave Thailand during your extension without having gotten a re-entry stamp, as you'll then have to start from square one.

Edited by JimGant

Lopburi3 has hit the nail on the head once again. I followed his advice 40 days ago and he's exactly right. That's why I'm able to sit in front of my computer right now and confirm it. And Lanny is right also about the US embassy letter. They might accept your old one, but this will be the last time. I asked for mine back and they politely said 'get a new one for next year'

Document Checklist:

Pictures

Bank Book

Passport Copies

Income Letter?

Proof of Address

Yes, every year you have to supply the same documents. but the good news is that you can apply up to two months before your visa expires which means you don't have to apply for another 14 months

The poster has a one year extension of stay from his time of entry and needs to apply for a new extension of stay now, about eight-nine months after his original application. He will have to apply again next year at the same time (November), 12 months later. Application are normally only accepted during the last four weeks unless you have extenuating circumstances. What are you talking about when you mention 14 months?

You don't need the income statement if you have 800k in a bank account for the preceding three months.

I don't keep an 800k balance, so that's why I need the letter.

I can't seem to get the TM7 form to format properly in Word 2003. I have Angsana loaded and I'm fairly sure it worked in the past but it runs over three pages and is a protected document so I can't fool around with it. Any ideas?

It is sobering to see people smug and bragging about keeping 800K baht in a 1/2% interest bearing acct, while the rest of us struggle to keep our 6-8% annual returns coming in, and fuss with the Thai laws which seek to have us transfer our funds into the low return Thai banks. Perhaps the smug ones would like to invest in something creditable, and I can guarantee them 1%...

Lopburi3 has hit the nail on the head once again. I followed his advice 40 days ago and he's exactly right. That's why I'm able to sit in front of my computer right now and confirm it. And Lanny is right also about the US embassy letter. They might accept your old one, but this will be the last time. I asked for mine back and they politely said 'get a new one for next year'

Actually it's not quite right about "1 or 2 years" for the income letter and I'd like to save you the trouble and fee involved, expensive if you're British.

I just did get mine taken away and told i need a new one next time. I am now entering my 4th year for that letter. BTW that's CM and they know me at immigration I have a friend there who's got rank.........whether that matters or not I'm not sure. I have in the past been told 3 years is it. On reflection i think 3 years is the limit that works out it still covers the fourth year application if you get in slightly early rather than slightly late. I was late but it was all smiles :o

You don't need proof of address, but if you are showing money in the bank you do need a "nangsue rubrong", a letter from your bank.

Edited by sleepyjohn

If you are talking about my post, that you quoted, you are out of line. I am providing information and do not keep 800k in a bank account and have never said otherwise.

I was referring to those who had contacted you either suggesting same or currently doing such...sorry for the confusion.