The Avenue Movie Theatres... Where's The A/c?

Weho

It's my second time there, and you walk into the theatre/theater, and it's like walking into a kilm. It makes Dubai seem like Siberia. And if you feel like complaining, it's like a 20 minute walk to where staff seem to be able to pretend to care. Then finally some genius admits they only turn on the A/C once the movie has started. Keep that in mind the next time you pay them their 140 baht admission price to see a bad movie. Just tell them, "I only pay once the temperature goes down below 90 degrees inside the theater/theatre". And I find their seats rather narrow for my average sized western a**. And it's such a schlep to get up all those escalators...

But the dumbest thing they do is NOT to have a sign, on the ground level, with the movie start times each day. I can only imagine how much business they lose, cause no one has thought of this. The Royal Garden has signs by each ground level escalator... not a bad idea, but "The Avenue" expects people to go up multiple escalators to figure out what movies are playing, and their language and start times. I mean, what is with these people? Just how many farangs do they think are willing to make the trek up all the escalators, just to find out what bad movies are playing, and when the bad movies start? You know, the ones for 140 baht admission.

At Tukcom, you can buy most movies, even current movies, for 100 to 120 baht per dvd. This is highly illegal, and should not be encouraged, because "Hollywood" needs to pay their top "stars" $50,000,000 per picture, or they just won't get made. But "The Avenue" has to realize they have to compete with the crooks at Tukcom. Why not make it easy for us farangs? We're not frickin' psychic.

Yes, I saw that new Denzel Washington vehicle "The Kingdom" about Saudia Arabia... was it Denzel? Maybe it was the guy that played Ray Charles... who can really tell... the movie was sort of o.k.... I can't stand the typical science fiction/dragon/spiritual/creature from outerspace movies they usually show... I hate that stuff.

By the way, I'm watching the first minute and a half of this t.v. show called "The West Wing"... that Martin Short has to be the worst actor in history... horrible, horrible acting.

Never had to complain about the aircon. Was allways ok to me. As you have Internet Weho; this link will tell you all movies of the day at Pattaya Cinemas. You even don't have to go out your chair. Enjoy

Nice link CH... what's the name of the movie house in the Avenue? Is it on the drop-down list?

Its Martin Sheen in the west wing,and so are you suggesting that all black people look the the same??? I think thats pretty narrow minded from someone who lives overseas...maybe you think all asians look the same as well....

Oh boy! A Weho bashing thread is being spawned.

Yup, they all do look the same, JUST AS WE ALL LOOK THE SAME TO ASIANS, BLACKS AND OTHER ETHNICITIES.

Here boy, you want to get some life? Go fetch!

And it's such a schlep to get up all those escalators...
"The Avenue" expects people to go up multiple escalators to figure out what movies are playing
Just how many farangs do they think are willing to make the trek up all the escalators, just to find out () when the () movies start?

Hi Weho,

What is your problem with escalators ? Maybe you prefer staircases ? :o

Be serious: There is only ONE escalator to go from the street to the showtimes panel in the hall.

Its Martin Sheen in the west wing,and so are you suggesting that all black people look the the same??? I think thats pretty narrow minded from someone who lives overseas...maybe you think all asians look the same as well....

How dare you suggest that I think "all black people look the same", based on my confusing of two male acTORS... why on earth could you draw that conclusion? Perhaps it says something about your own narrow mindedness. Perhaps you are "projecting". And how do you know that I'm not of African ancestry myself... are you psychic too? Do you just know these things?

Had I written something like "I saw some dumb movie, I don't remember if it was with Tom Cruise or Bruce Willis...", would you write back that I must be "narrow minded" because I can't tell my white people apart? No you wouldn't... so it's ONLY certain people that offend you, certain types of people... yes, I believe you are "projecting" something about yourself... why not come clean here, and tell us about it...

And it's most definately Martin Short in the West Wing. And sometimes on the West Wing he would just break out into character, like that old broadway agent guy he does... it was totally out of place on the West Wing.

And to the other poster, I do know about the movieseer.com website, which I can tell you cannot always be relied upon for accurate showtimes. Always best to try to call the theater/theatre yourself, and try to speak to a human.

And to the other poster who wrote: JUST AS WE ALL LOOK THE SAME TO ASIANS, BLACKS AND OTHER ETHNICITIES... well, I just LOVE the "we"... as if you are speaking on behalf of all humanity... or maybe you are just speaking on behalf of the ones you personally think are superior to the rest.

And it's not a question of just going up "one escalator"... it's a question of DO THEY WANT TO MAKE MONEY... but I guess you didn't understand that. At least the Royal Garden theater/theatre people understood the importance of the signs at the bottom of both escalators... i'll bet most tourists wouldn't even know they had theaters/theatres up there.

And I would like to add that the movies at the Royal Garden, albeit older technology theaters/theatres, they did have good a/c... no need to try to flag down a staff member... but I always hated that awful perfumed spray they would put in there, before/after every showing... seems like they were trying to cover up some awful smell, or maybe mold... it was RANK in there...

Edited by Weho

I would like to add that I do feel many asians do look alike. I also think many Ukranians look alike... and many Tonganese look alike. But I can categorically state that I feel ALL Singaporians look different from eachother... they haven't the slightest similarity to any other Singaporians.

I do research on these things on alternate weekends, in my basement.

I'm listening to this internet radio now, and they are playing that song "I'm just a girl that can't say 'no'"... what show is that from??? is it from "Pattaya Lullabye of 07"?

Never had to complain about the aircon. Was allways ok to me. As you have Internet Weho; this link will tell you all movies of the day at Pattaya Cinemas. You even don't have to go out your chair. Enjoy

Nice link CH... what's the name of the movie house in the Avenue? Is it on the drop-down list?

Major Cineplex

Yes, Major Cineplex... at "The Avenue"...

Be sure to check out how clean the toilets are, which are near the upper level "candy counter"... it's such a pleasure to have a movie-going experience, where you don't have to worry about what the toilets will look like... and did you see their fancy sink in there? And if you have a "wide stance", no need to worry about privacy, as the toilet side panels go all the way to the floor. And they have lots of cleaning staff on duty there... literally a second after I walked out, there were two women with mops waiting to go right in, and clean up any potential mess that I might have left... (I didn't make any mess, and I always flush the toilet, as a courtesy to the next user, with my foot, so as not to get any "cross-contamination").

If they would only turn on the a/c at least a half hour before showtimes, I would consider it a pleasant movie-going experience... until such time, I enjoyed the theaters/theatres about as much as someone might enjoy a hysterectemy.

weho,

Just so you know:

The West Wing on IMDB

Martin Sheen ... President Josiah "Jed" Bartlet / ... (148 episodes, 1999-2006)

Don't want you to make yourself look like an ass insisting on something you know nothing about :o

Continue with your Aircon rant ....

Personally if I could find a cinema in S.E. Asia that cuts back on the a/c I'd be over the moon. I hate it when I go in from 35 degrees to about 5 degrees feeling more like minus 5. I had to take a break from one of the Big C cinemas just to get otu and get warm, it was bluddy miserable. And no I do not want to go wandering around town carrying a jacket just for the movies. :o

Edited by PhilHarries

The song is from "Oklahoma".

You're welcome.

Yes, thank you... "I'm just a girl who can't say 'no'" should be the Theme song for Pattaya... sort of like Chicago has a song, New York has a song... I think even L.A. has a song or two...

And thanks to the other poster for acknowledging that I was correct that Martin Sheen is on the West Wing, although Martin Short did about a half dozen guest appearances, according to your link.

Now I always try to TRY to stay "on topic", so how do I tie in what I already wrote, to air conditioning at the Major Cineplex... hummmmmm. Let's see...

OK, I got it... I know for a fact that Martin Short likes cold temperatures, as about a year or so ago, I was in New York, and saw his "one man" show on BroadWAY (emphasis on the "WAY")... BroadWAY. It was a cold evening, and I saw him coming out of the stage door (i'm no "stage door 'johnny'", but it was unusual timing). He didn't even have a sweater on... Ok, so he was only going a few feet to the waiting, warm limo, but he clearly wasn't bothered by cool weather. My HUNCH is he would LOVE the a/c at the Major Cineplex. Oh yes, the name of his one-man show was something like, "The West Wing-- A New Musical". It had real bouncy, zippy songs. It's all on imdb.com.

It's my second time there, and you walk into the theatre/theater, and it's like walking into a kilm. It makes Dubai seem like Siberia. And if you feel like complaining, it's like a 20 minute walk to where staff seem to be able to pretend to care. Then finally some genius admits they only turn on the A/C once the movie has started. Keep that in mind the next time you pay them their 140 baht admission price to see a bad movie. Just tell them, "I only pay once the temperature goes down below 90 degrees inside the theater/theatre". And I find their seats rather narrow for my average sized western a**. And it's such a schlep to get up all those escalators...

On the 8 or so times I've watched movies there it's been like Siberia in there. I felt like leaving a few movies half way through it was so cold.

As you have Internet Weho; this link will tell you all movies of the day at Pattaya Cinemas. You even don't have to go out your chair. Enjoy

A word of warning - i have always found that link to be accurate for the Big C and RGP cinemas, but the Avenue showtimes published on the web never seem to agree with those actually used in the cinema. Anyone else noticed?

Personally if I could find a cinema in S.E. Asia that cuts back on the a/c I'd be over the moon. I hate it when I go in from 35 degrees to about 5 degrees feeling more like minus 5. I had to take a break from one of the Big C cinemas just to get otu and get warm, it was bluddy miserable. And no I do not want to go wandering around town carrying a jacket just for the movies. :o

Just go to a "goldclass" session. They even supply blankets there to help you combat the aircon.... :D

As you have Internet Weho; this link will tell you all movies of the day at Pattaya Cinemas. You even don't have to go out your chair. Enjoy

A word of warning - i have always found that link to be accurate for the Big C and RGP cinemas, but the Avenue showtimes published on the web never seem to agree with those actually used in the cinema. Anyone else noticed?

Yes, and it's inconvenienced me quite a few times already. I'd turn up for a movie that wasn't due to screen for another 2 hours or so. At other times the internet schedule would be out by 15 minutes or so. I now take it with a grain of salt.

And I would like to add that the movies at the Royal Garden, albeit older technology theaters/theatres, they did have good a/c... no need to try to flag down a staff member... but I always hated that awful perfumed spray they would put in there, before/after every showing... seems like they were trying to cover up some awful smell, or maybe mold... it was RANK in there...

You mean the smell from all the lovely types of movie goers who dare sit in the antiquated Royal Garden Movie Theaters ?

Can't blame them for disinfecting the place after each showing, sort of like a Times Square Cinema back in the day.

You mean the smell from all the lovely types of movie goers who dare sit in the antiquated Royal Garden Movie Theaters ?

Can't blame them for disinfecting the place after each showing, sort of like a Times Square Cinema back in the day.

When did you last watch a movie at Garden Plaza? I've never had a problem with anything there.

If I have a choice of watching a movie that's playing at all 3 cinema complexes, the Garden Plaza is my first choice...and that's not a decision based on the price. IMO the seating position in relation to the screen gives the best cinematic experience of the 3 movie complexes...at about 4 or 5 rows up from the centre aisle.

Royal Garden

is the last place i would go.

way to many rude people talking through the movies. :o

Are you joking? This can happen in any cinema. Any time I watch a movie at Royal Garden there's usually less than 10 people there.

Allow me to make a suggestion. Next time some "rude people" talk too much get out of your seat and move.

Edited by tropo

You say so, then it must be so.Stopped going there 8 years ago.

Maybe just a better class of cutomer at the big C. HA, HA,

And to all the rest of you, go to the Big C after noon, much, much better.

Well I will say that talking about "class of customers" at the different cinema complexes in Pattaya is ridiculous.

Right now (have no idea about 8 years ago) you'd be hard pressed to find a Royal Garden movie with more than 10 patrons, so "rude people" talking is definitely never a problem.

Edited by tropo