No More Hand-held Phone Chatting While Driving

george

No more hand-held phone chatting while driving

BANGKOK: -- In three months, drivers using a mobile phone without a hands free device will face a fine of Bt400-Bt1,000.

The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) Wednesday approved the amendment to the Land Transport Act, which will go into effect 90 days after publication in the Royal Gazette.

The NLA committee vetting the bill had attached a notice to it, saying the partial prohibition would cover many motorists especially those in big cities with heavy traffic.

A public relations campaign was needed for better understanding of the law and for easier enforcement by police. An equipment budget should be prepared for police to implement this new regulation effectively.

The scrutinising committee had also urged moving towards an outright ban on all mobile phone usage while driving. Since traffic jams and road accidents cost the economy dearly, the government should improve and update the whole Land Transport Act and have National Police adjust Traffic Police operating procedures for faster and better enforcement of road rules.

No one debated the bill, so the NLA president called for a show of hands, and it passed with 57 votes.

--The Nation 2007-11-14

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, just get a darker tint on your windows, thats if you haven't already., I guess this will be the next thing to ban.

oh how about having a tv in your car? isn't that more distracting than the use of a mobile, or is this already ilegal?

anyway, I agree with the whole mobile phone issue, there has been so many times when the car in front of me is all over the road becuse the driver was using his phone, the other times is just because it was a thai driver :o

A similiar law has been in effect in Greece for over a year. The fine is about 50 Euro for first offense and up to 350 Euro for repeated offenses or if talking on cellphone while driving actually is the cause of an accident. Not to mention possible suspension or repeal of license.

:o

...and what about the under-age girl I saw last week (I kid you not)

she was riding the wrong way down a dual-carriageway listening on her mobile and sucking out of a platic bag of drink through a straw........oh and no helmet of course :o

Not 2 kms from Hkt A/port

Edited by LeungKen

So its still OK on a motorbike? The article refers to drivers, not riders.

Pedantic I know but it wouldn't surprise me. Just get a darker tint on your windows so the BiB can't see you!

motor vehicle includes motor cycle..how about some constructive comment to support this about time rule..

A similiar law has been in effect in Greece for over a year. The fine is about 50 Euro for first offense and up to 350 Euro for repeated offenses or if talking on cellphone while driving actually is the cause of an accident. Not to mention possible suspension or repeal of license.

Similar laws are being passed in various State in the USA. There are also several States which prohibit deeply tinted windows which are so dark as to make it impossible to see inside the car, that law has been in effect for decades in California.

The telephone law should also include immediate confiscation of the telephone, if it doesn't already

My windows are way too dark for anyone to see inside, hence the reason I am rarely pulled over as they can't see it's a farang driving who would like to contrbute to the 'tea fund'

Having put up with similar looney legislation in the UK, it was proved to be pretty much a waste of time. Holding a phone to your ear is no more distracting than talking hands free, changing a CD, lighting a cigarette, programming your sat-nav etc.etc. And they have full on TV's on the dashboard here, that still work when you are moving.

And where is your constructive comment?

I was returning home from Khon Kaen one day, through the busy suburbs when a young girl on a motorbike pulled up in front of me for no apparent reason blocking the road. There was no room to overtake so I had to sit there and wait and see what the problem was. She proceeded to delve in her pocket to answer her mobile phone and just sat there talking !.

Needless to say she just looked at me blankly when I hit the horn and she gradually moved herself out of the way.

I think its a fair enough generalization to say that most Thais haven't a clue how to drive, without a mobile phone pressed to their ear and seem to be oblivious to their surroundings (and other motorist) *

This is compounded to the point of absurdity when they're on a mobile phone. They slow down, drift all over the road, stop at junctions they can drive through, drive through junctions they should stop at...................and the worst part is if I show my displeasure by cutting them up (something that would infuriate someone in the UK)......they're completely oblivious to it !

If you suffered from road rage in Thailand you'd be 6 feet under in no time - with stress !

* particularly Thai women - and this isn't a sexist remark - its a fact.

The telephone law should also include immediate confiscation of the telephone, if it doesn't already

Yeah great, so then the BiB can pull you over, spot a nice mobile phone in your car, claim you were talking on it without a handsfree while driving and subsequently help themselves to your phone for free.

Great Idea, brilliant! Got any more bright ideas?

Hope the fine is deterrent enough for mobile happy drivers. In my several trips around Bangkok and other places with friends driving me around. My observation says, 90% the calls are useless, unnecessary or simply made to make an impression. None of them has hands free set for use whilst driving.

Personally I am not favor of phone calls. If the phone rings I think the driver should pull over and complete the conversation and then continue to drive. Even hands free devices are distraction whilst driving.

I will be really glad to see my senior business partner drop his nasty habit of talking on phone without hands free device. He literally drives all over the road.

But hey that's life. Hope the rule surely has some impact and also covers motorbike riders. :o

I was returning home from Khon Kaen one day, through the busy suburbs when a young girl on a motorbike pulled up in front of me for no apparent reason blocking the road. There was no room to overtake so I had to sit there and wait and see what the problem was. She proceeded to delve in her pocket to answer her mobile phone and just sat there talking !.

Needless to say she just looked at me blankly when I hit the horn and she gradually moved herself out of the way.

I think its a fair enough generalization to say that most Thais haven't a clue how to drive, without a mobile phone pressed to their ear and seem to be oblivious to their surroundings (and other motorist) *

This is compounded to the point of absurdity when they're on a mobile phone. They slow down, drift all over the road, stop at junctions they can drive through, drive through junctions they should stop at...................and the worst part is if I show my displeasure by cutting them up (something that would infuriate someone in the UK)......they're completely oblivious to it !

If you suffered from road rage in Thailand you'd be 6 feet under in no time - with stress !

* particularly Thai women - and this isn't a sexist remark - its a fact.

I totally agree with everything you say, and have also experience it. I'm now used to it, like i'm sure you are yourself. I now find myself laughing to myself, I think its the only way not to get stressed out while driving :o if you know any other way not get get stress when driving here, let me know. lol

Don't be so stupid..motor vehicle includes motor cycle..how about some constructive comment to support this about time rule..

My, my. It never ceases to astonish me in what is supposed to be a friendly, helpful and open forum , the bad manners and bad temperment of a lot of the members. There is absolutely no need to be personal, smart and rude.

Another totally irrelevant law, especially for Thais. The dust to be blown off this statute and viewed only when the BiB are short of funds at the end of the month with the Farang clearly in their cross hairs. We all have seen the happy group of 4-5 on the family Honda 100 with no helmets. The young guy who weaves his scooter at breakneck (literally!) speed through slow moving traffic. The lorries and buses who plough their way through smaller traffic. The constant stream of bikes driving against the traffic and often on the foorpaths. The all too common traffic at night who reckon on saving the battery/bulbs by not switching on their lights. The overtakers who depend on you getting out of their way to avoid a head on. The regular monotony of the lorry on the wrong side of the road, especially the road to Krabi. Yep. These and pleanty more infringements are as nothing compared to using your phone.!! The priorities are in reverse order here. By the way in Irekland uthe phone thing is strictly enforced and you get 2 points on your licence as well as a hefty fine. They brought in those damm points here,as per the UK ,last year and they are causing havoc here!!

I read a lot of negative comments on this forum, as well as a lot of very funny ones, but on this phones thread. Its been law in the UK for years now, so I suppose us Brits are used to it. But I was back in the UK a while ago and answerd my phone at a set of traffic lights - there were no blue boys around. My son told me to close the phone right away because the cameras on the traffic light pole would take a picture of me, my car and my phone and they would send a fine. Then I went into a bus lane, he said - get into the proper lane because the buses have cameras in the front to take pics of cars in the wrong lane. (Well, the driver does, obviously not the bus) Again they send a fine. Drive anywhere and you are hearing threats on the radio about non payment of car tax, tv licence etc etc. And then there's the tobacco police, and the traffic wardens with a camera in their hats (no kidding)

Where would you rather live?

A good law in any other country! but here it will be used to punish those who do not drive Merc's or BMW's.

Overly tinted windows are illegal too, but we will surely see an increase in them causing huge blind spots at night in turn causing more accidents!

And after the news reports are over the police will only fine those people they don't like (farangs/motorcyclists/etc), and at the end of the month when they gather the other 50% of their salary! (Tea money)

And what started all this? can you imagine!? For sure the sponsor of this new law will be a shareholder in a headset company! 5555

They should go back to basics and educate Thai's on how to drive properly. Have proper testing of driving skills. Put an end to buying 5oo baht licences! And start arresting/fining people for dangerous driving, particularly buses/lorries and taxi's!

if the law was genuinely being brought in to minimize/stop peeps from talking on the mobile while, well mobile, the easy fix would be to make the carriers drop any calls that hand-off between cell sites fast enough to be in a motorized vehicle.

but then again traffic in bangkok never seems to move fast enough to probably differentiate between someone talking on the mobile in a motorized vehicle & someone talking on the mobile while walking. :o

but i am still sure this is yet another angle for a cash cow money grab before road safety if you ask me.

I live in Phuket and can quite honestly say most of the drivers here including "sorry" some farangs are crazy. The main bypass road is a death trap with drivers/riders using the outside lane because they do not want to use the nearside lane due to other vehicles just pulling out in front of them and of course this will cause them a problem because yes they are on the phone.

I often see motorists go through red lights because they can not be bothered to follow the law. I have actually seen a motorbike hit a car due to this and the rider cme off the worst but no one assisted and just sat at the lights or drove around them......

I agree if caught using a mobile phone you have no control of the vehicle as two hands at either 10-2 or 1/4 to 3 are deemed the correct positions when driving a car, bus, lorry etc. How can the motorbike rider have control when there are 4 personnel on the bike, the rider is trying to use the phone and no one is wearing helmets..Oh the mother is holding a 3 month old baby as well....... Royal Thai Police get a grip.......fine them hard and install CCTV at major junctions so there is proof of their crazy driving.

So its still OK on a motorbike? The article refers to drivers, not riders.

Pedantic I know but it wouldn't surprise me. Just get a darker tint on your windows so the BiB can't see you!

motor vehicle includes motor cycle..how about some constructive comment to support this about time rule..

It seems all I ever do is drive around all day and night so my whole life is spent in car or a truck and the phone is my link to the real world, I can write a text message and do all things while driving including cooking my lunch having a shower and changing my shirt pants and shoes and even tuning my car aren't I lucky !

Some variety of discussions here are soooooooo ridiculuos ! Of course talking on the phone destructs you from driving properly , i know it from my own experience, i have 2 handsfrees in the car, butsometimes if i forget to plug it in ... not nice.. C'mon >This law doesn't even warrants discussion !! If you had cash to buy car & handy, sure you can spend 100 baht more on such lulely small device called handsfree !! Most likely it was already included in your h/phone package :o

I live in Phuket and can quite honestly say most of the drivers here including "sorry" some farangs are crazy. The main bypass road is a death trap with drivers/riders using the outside lane because they do not want to use the nearside lane due to other vehicles just pulling out in front of them and of course this will cause them a problem because yes they are on the phone.

I often see motorists go through red lights because they can not be bothered to follow the law. I have actually seen a motorbike hit a car due to this and the rider cme off the worst but no one assisted and just sat at the lights or drove around them......

I agree if caught using a mobile phone you have no control of the vehicle as two hands at either 10-2 or 1/4 to 3 are deemed the correct positions when driving a car, bus, lorry etc. How can the motorbike rider have control when there are 4 personnel on the bike, the rider is trying to use the phone and no one is wearing helmets..Oh the mother is holding a 3 month old baby as well....... Royal Thai Police get a grip.......fine them hard and install CCTV at major junctions so there is proof of their crazy driving.

Shedend why did you ever come here to Phuket why didn't you stay were you were happy with all the rules and up tight women ?????? Just wondering !

Shedend why did you ever come here to Phuket why didn't you stay were you were happy with all the rules and up tight women ?????? Just wondering !

Actually one of the most exciting things to do while driving is have sex !