How To Resolve Mildew Problems?

chiang mai

I have no doubt that many of you will have useful tips as to how to prevent mildew damage to clothes that are hung in closets in hot and humid climates and I wonder if any of you will share them with me?

Having moved to Phuket some six months ago I now realize that my dress shirts, suits and other items (mostly natural fiber items of clothing it seems) quickly cover in a light fungus which I think is probably mildew. I realize that high humidity, poor ventilation and darkness causes the fungus to grow but wonder what can be done to prevent its growth, short of turning on the air con all the time.

Any answers gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Having moved to Phuket some six months ago I now realize that my dress shirts, suits and other items (mostly natural fiber items of clothing it seems) quickly cover in a light fungus which I think is probably mildew. I realize that high humidity, poor ventilation and darkness causes the fungus to grow but wonder what can be done to prevent its growth, short of turning on the air con all the time.

if you want to save on energy by not using your aircon the cheapest way is to have a couple of UV-bulbs ("black light") lit in your closets. besides "light" they are producing ozone on a small scale which kills fungus/mildew. mount them low, bulbs NOT shaded! don't know though whether these bulbs are available in Thailand.

New one on me. I used to get that problem in the UK due to central heating/ lack of ventilation, but never experienced it here. Open your windows during the day might help.

Scientifically I guess this comes from a cold atmosphere warming up rapidly, ie condensation - the same as when you take a hot shower back home, and can't see yourself in the mirror afterwards. If (and I am guessing) this is the case try moving the wardrobe to a different room that is not a/c'd at night.

if you want to save on energy by not using your aircon the cheapest way is to have a couple of UV-bulbs ("black light") lit in your closets. besides "light" they are producing ozone on a small scale which kills fungus/mildew. mount them low, bulbs NOT shaded! don't know though whether these bulbs are available in Thailand.

Nice one, thanks.

You can use normal 25 watt light bulbs for this. All my closets in the Philippines had them, mounted about a foot above the floor, but well below any clothing. (I had Real Closets there!) They work by warming and drying the air in the closet. They must be on all the time. It's also good to have ventilated (louvered) closet doors. Solid ones block the air flow and promote mildew.

• 8 months later...

I've retrieved this thread because I just returned from a week away to find my clothes (belts, bags, et al.) spoiled to varying degrees by this horror.

Are the methods suggested above only good for prevention, or can I remedy the damage by for instance leaving the stuff in an air conditioned room long enough? (Everything is natural material - cotton, wool, linen, leather, suede).

Would be grateful for any tips.

I've retrieved this thread because I just returned from a week away to find my clothes (belts, bags, et al.) spoiled to varying degrees by this horror.

Are the methods suggested above only good for prevention, or can I remedy the damage by for instance leaving the stuff in an air conditioned room long enough? (Everything is natural material - cotton, wool, linen, leather, suede).

Hi

Lack of ventilation is the root of the problem, rather than installing low level lighting which is bound to increase the potential of a fire breaking out, perhaps introducing a few air vents at low level to the wardrobes and a slightly larger extractor installed at the top of the wardrobes would resolve the problem.

Inadiquate airflow is responsible for a great deal of the timber and damp problems in homes all ovr the uk.

Roy gsd

Leave closet doors open for ventilation.

Are "Ladies" more prone to mildew :D ?

When I read the title, I was wondering and being more concerned about where the mildew was growing in order for it to be specifically asked in the Ladies section :o

Hi

Lack of ventilation is the root of the problem, rather than installing low level lighting which is bound to increase the potential of a fire breaking out, perhaps introducing a few air vents at low level to the wardrobes and a slightly larger extractor installed at the top of the wardrobes would resolve the problem.

Inadiquate airflow is responsible for a great deal of the timber and damp problems in homes all ovr the uk.

Roy gsd

Is the damage done reversible by any of the suggested preventative measures - ventilation, air conditioning, perhaps sunlight, or is there an artificial aid I can buy?

Removing mildew is easy. Removing mildew stains is extremely difficult unless the fabric can be heavily bleached; removing the mildew smell so it won't return when the clothes get even slightly damp, as in perspiring, is nigh impossible. The fast answer is no, you can't remedy the damage to fabric. With leather you can have some success.

Removing mildew is easy. Removing mildew stains is extremely difficult unless the fabric can be heavily bleached; removing the mildew smell so it won't return when the clothes get even slightly damp, as in perspiring, is nigh impossible. The fast answer is no, you can't remedy the damage to fabric. With leather you can have some success.

Thank you for the direct, albeit depressing. reply to my question.