Suicide Rates

AlexLah

Life is only nice in Thailand if you have money and with money choices.

For the vast majority of people in Thailand money and choices are in short supply.

Learn Thai and earwig on a few Thai conversations, you'll soon catch on.

Pleanty of reasons, but one of the main one's would be the lack of community based psychiatric services. In countries like the UK, where there are plenty of social problems, the servies are much easier to access, and the numerous teams such as the traditional CMHT (community Mental Health Team), are now suplemented by bolt on services such as Crisis Resolution,Assertive Outreach, Home Treatment teams etc, along with 24 hour duty Pyschiatric workers Out of Hours Service who are able to provide support, problem solving and advice. I know that this model is not available in every area of the UK, but it was in the area that I worked in. There has been a serious drive since 2001 by the NHS to reduce the suicide rate in the UK.

My understanding in Thailand (as in many places in the world) is that there is still a significant stigma attatched to Mental Illness, and often people are to embarrased to go and seek help. I don't beleive that in Thialand there are many community based support services, so therefore many people are probably just left to get on with it, with very little options available. As in most countries Psychiatry is seen as the cinderella service, and I'm pretty sure that it is the same here, although probably even more so.

For those without money, as has been mentioned, how can they get decent therapy, medication etc? Probably not that easy.

Edited by mrtoad

it maybe nice for the expats and tourist ,not so nice for the thai worker on 4000b amonth. :o

Yes I do feel sad about those and why there is so many poor people in this world.

US is spending 800 Billion Dollar on the war in Iraq.

This money could be better spend helping the poor.

But it is far away from home, so what can we do?

This world is sick.

Thailand is # 73 on this list, but figures are from 1994:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...by_suicide_rate

The countries with world's highest number of suicides are all -Eastern- European, except for Kazakhstan:

Highest Suicide Rates in the World

Rank Country Suicides per 100,000 inhabitants per year

1 Lithuania 42.0

2 Russia 37.4

3 Belarus 35.0

4 Latvia 34.3

5 Estonia 33.2

6 Hungaryk 32.1

7 Slovenia 30.9

8 Ukraine 29.4

9 Kazakhstan 28.7

10 Finland 24.3

http://www.aneki.com/suicide.html

Sad :o

Edit:

Here are the facts for Thailand in the period 1955-2002, including male/female gender as well as age groups:

http://www.who.int/mental_health/media/thai.pdf

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

im not sure we can discuss this subject under forum rules.....but i always wonder how many of these cases of suicide would recieve the same verdict under thorough examination in the "West"

Maybe you're right but one can also argue that due to the stigma attached a lot of suicides are not reported as suicide.

1. Using the data as it is provided by WHO and assuming that the population ratio male/female is 50%

than Thailand is at 56th place and not 11th.

2. This set of data should not be used for ranking as it is from different years and has data only for 101 countries.

3. As well as in many countries suicides go unreported as people afraid of social stigma.

4. Be very careful before making any kind of statistical ranking and comparison due to differences in methodologies for example suicide has two categories a.) attempted suicide and b.) completed suicide I hope the the WHO table consistently represents completed suicides.

The countries with world's highest number of suicides are all -Eastern- European, except for Kazakhstan:

1 Lithuania 42.0

2 Russia 37.4

3 Belarus 35.0

4 Latvia 34.3

5 Estonia 33.2

6 Hungaryk 32.1

7 Slovenia 30.9

8 Ukraine 29.4

9 Kazakhstan 28.7

10 Finland 24.3

Sad :o

Edit:

Here are the facts for Thailand in the period 1955-2002, including male/female gender as well as age groups:

LaoPo

Finland is not an Eastern European country. It is a Scandinavian country with a unique heritage, nearly 200 years of autonomy and 90 proud years of independence, and a tradition of effective resistance to oppressive regimes.

***non-English phrase removed per forum rules***

<br />What has US spending on war got to do with the problem of suicide in Thailand?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Maybe the Thais watching on tv get depressed when they see all those big humvee type things they cant have ?

Im sure many Thais have a pretty grim life, low pay , hard work, little health care, no pensions etc etc

What has US spending on war got to do with the problem of suicide in Thailand?

As far as I understood, he ment that if the reason, that poor people in Thailand are more prone to commit suicide, because of lack of money, then it would save many lifes to spend the money on these poor thai's, instead of use the money to kill other humans in Iraq.

With all respect.

pp.

Are you one of those people who reads a chapter in a novel, then forgets what happened, and have to re-read it to get the gist?

No, I'm one of those people who can follow a topic without wandering off on a detor to discuss some half baked predjudice.

(GuestHouse @ 2007-11-14 22:47:18)

As far as I understood, he ment that if the reason, that poor people in Thailand are more prone to commit suicide, because of lack of money, then it would save many lifes to spend the money on these poor thai's, instead of use the money to kill other humans in Iraq.

With all respect.

pp.

Then maybe it would be better to focus on THAILAND and the vast amounts of money THAILAND wastes on corruption, un-controlled military spending and general missmanagement of the public coffers..

But no, feel free to bleat on about a totally unrelated war.

Edited by GuestHouse

1 Lithuania 42.0

2 Russia 37.4

3 Belarus 35.0

4 Latvia 34.3

5 Estonia 33.2

6 Hungaryk 32.1

7 Slovenia 30.9

8 Ukraine 29.4

9 Kazakhstan 28.7

10 Finland 24.3

Sad :D

Edit:

LaoPo

Finland is not an Eastern European country. It is a Scandinavian country with a unique heritage, nearly 200 years of autonomy and 90 proud years of independence, and a tradition of effective resistance to oppressive regimes.

:o I know my geography and that's why I put -Eastern- between lines but perhaps (Eastern) would have been more clear to you.

I even know Nokia is from Suomi, Helsinki is the capital and that Suomi is the least populated country of the EU, how's that ? :D

You guys even have a woman as President, Mrs. Tarja Halonen, elected by the People, who is very powerful, much more than other presidents or PM's in other EU countries.

Good to be proud of your own country.

LaoPo :D

Edited by sbk

I wonder how many of those Thailand based "suicides" were actually murders that the authorities covered up for reasons better known to themselves.

Were farang suicides included in those figures? If so, they came about because the reality of LOS didn't match up to the fantasy.

Suicde often has more to do with have a sh*tty life, than living in a sh*tty country or having a sh*tty culture.

I don't think poverty is the pivotal factor in suicides.

I also certainly hope that the US stops the nonsense in Iraq, but I certainly hope they don't decide to spend the money on poor people in Thailand!

I am confused by this thread and fail to see any evidence that Thailand is 11th place.

I think it is amazing how yet again negative posters can't wait to have a dig at Thailand.

I suppose it is all some people have to contribute.

Life is only nice in Thailand if you have money and with money choices.

For the vast majority of people in Thailand money and choices are in short supply.

Learn Thai and earwig on a few Thai conversations, you'll soon catch on.

Oh please, give me a break.

I have listened to plenty of Thai conversations and I have failed to 'catch on' to the fact 'life is only nice in Thiland if you have money and with money choices'. Perhaps it takes more than just learning Thai to get this impression.

I am confused by this thread and fail to see any evidence that Thailand is 11th place.

I think it is amazing how yet again negative posters can't wait to have a dig at Thailand.

I suppose it is all some people have to contribute.

let me guess, and you are a designated "defender of the realm", come off your high horse and take off the rose colored glasses, some people aspire more than to live marginally in a third world country (such as yourself) and can be disappointed at the reality LOS presents....the topic is a valid one

Edited by bingobongo