Investors Avoiding Thailand: Report

maybe they can export rainbows and lollipops.......but who cares as long as there is som tham

Investors avoiding Thailand: report

The International Business Report 2007, conducted by Grant Thornton International, has shown that Thailand has gone through a period of slowing growth this year and is losing investment opportunities to Vietnam and Malaysia due mainly to political turmoil and uncertain economic policy.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/11/15...ss_30056129.php

Edited by bingobongo

maybe they can export rainbows and lollipops.......but who cares as long as there is som tham

The International Business Report 2007, conducted by Grant Thornton International, has shown that Thailand has gone through a period of slowing growth this year and is losing investment opportunities to Vietnam and Malaysia due mainly to political turmoil and uncertain economic policy.

Or could it be that those other 2 countries allows foreign companies to own 100% of the company rather than only 49% and labour is cheaper than in Thailand? Certainly trues in the case of Viet Nam.

Below is the extract from the report:

"In the short term, Thailand has lost investment opportunities to Vietnam and Malaysia due mainly to its uncertain investment policy. However, in the long-term, I still believe that Thailand shows a bright outlook and could return to be the most attractive country among foreign business persons, thanks to its strong infrastructure," Walker said.

Isn't that a double-talk? Where did it tell you to avoid Thailand?

since highdiver is an expert.... i wonder if he wrote this article, but i doubt it

Experts warn of stagflation

Thailand is slipping into stagflation - a stubborn mix of economic sluggishness and feverish inflation - as the international and domestic environments turn increasingly hostile, economists warned yesterday.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/11/17/hea...es_30056468.php

It's only natural to assume that investor confidence in Thailand has diminished since the coup. GDP growth has slowed to 4% level for 2007 as many of the pessimists on this forum predicted. Next year is unknown, but if elections proceed unfettered, then we may see some pickup.

Meanwhile, Vietnam, India and China have been explosive investment magnets. I mean, what else can you say??

The defenders of Thailand as a direct inward investment magnet on this forum are sort of living in past glory. If Thailand doesn't get it's sh_it together, it will be left standing still.

But, having said that, I think it will come into alignment next year if elections proceed. If a 2nd coup or something happens...bar the door Katy...

The defenders of Thailand as a direct inward investment magnet on this forum are sort of living in past glory. If Thailand doesn't get it's sh_it together, it will be left standing still.

most of the "defenders of Thailand" who live here care a sh*t whether "Thailand gets its sh*t together" as they would (most probably) benefit from the latter. a fact which the "attackers of Thailand" always overlook.

:o

most of the "defenders of Thailand" who live here care a sh*t whether "Thailand gets its sh*t together" as they would (most probably) benefit from the latter. a fact which the "attackers of Thailand" always overlook.

:o

As do I give a sh*t, I live here too. And, I'm not in the group of "attackers" of Thailand, but not a member of the rose coloured glasses brigade either.

Call me fickle.

As do I give a sh*t, I live here too. And, I'm not in the group of "attackers" of Thailand, but not a member of the rose coloured glasses brigade either.

it's all a matter of perspective and personal circumstances. each individual has his/her own views and considers only those facts important which affect his and perhaps his family's life. the retired expatriat living in a remote village and doesn't use up his pension or other income as the farm provides him with most of the means doesn't care who is in power in Bangkok and whether a multinational company invests x billion dollars in Thailand and neither does the expatriat care who has selected to live in Thailand because he saves a bundle by not paying income tax. affected -not necessarily by a junta- but by an economic downturn is the thai citizen and the expatriate who works or runs a business in Thailand.