Stopped By Police And Got Pockets Checked

Firefan

I wonder what the person being stopped in Thailand's rights are?

I did not know that farangs had any rights in Thailand. ???????????

farang have rights, so do japanese, chinese, indians, africans, arabs, hispanics....in fact come to think of it, all foreigners have rights in Thailand.

You definitely need more time here...

actually, after 11 years of working here continuously I can cite several instances of foreigners successfully utilizing their rights for one reason or another, myself included.

your embassy is always a good start if you think you have no rights. secondly, you could try Tilleke & Gibbins' :o

Checked once by two cops because I was walking too fast at night after the gym (which close at midnight).

They looked so excited to catch a farang who tried to escape ;-) and wanted to find drugs, even in my shoes, but bad luck guys! And even if I had anything illegal you wouldn't have found it anyway because who is stupid enough to keep anything illegal in his pockets or bag ?!

But actually I was more worried for the 20000 THB that one of them took from my wallet when "checking" and that I had to take back from his hands...

I also feared that they would try to plant any drug in my bag or pockets and ask to keep the 20000 in exchange, but I was maybe lucky that they were not carrying anything.

I wonder what the person being stopped in Thailand's rights are?

I did not know that farangs had any rights in Thailand. ???????????

farang have rights, so do japanese, chinese, indians, africans, arabs, hispanics....in fact come to think of it, all foreigners have rights in Thailand.

Until they want to own the land their house stands on. :o

He,he - this thread got slightly side tracked! :o

I was actually, as mentioned, not frisked, but simply held out the wallet and phone cover for them to look into. Not much drama as mentioned.

Donna; thanks babe!

STD: I was ehh...just looking for....ehh...ehh....beers! :D

Jockstar - good seeing you here again mate!

The young buck (or is it bug?)

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Late last night, walking some of the side sois of Asok I also, like others here, tried to be stopped by 2 cops on a motorbike and got my pockets checked.

I was well dressed and polite, and so where they :o . They certainly looked like real cops to me incl. ID badges, side arms Etc.

I, on purpose, took out my mobile and wallet which they also checked - I myself pulled out the pockets of my jeans so was not "man-handled" :D in any way.

A few coins fell to the ground as I did that and one of the cops dutyfully picked them up and gave them back to me with a "thank you".

Not much drama - but just to let all know that it is still happening.

Cheers!

had that a few times.

twice while coming out of a bar near soi 23.. (NOT SOI COWBOY!!) anyway.. I was in a taxi, they stop the taxi and do a pocket search. they were friendly and courteous both times.

once in Banglampoo, (near to ko san somewhere),, 2 shadey policeman did a minor pcocket search, but they did the old 'feel' my pockets for items, (as a bouncer would at a club). though he made a few unchartered stops around the crotch area, I smailed and politely pushed his hand away. though thats not the first time a thai policeman has tried to touch me 'down there'. seems theres a lot more gay police here in thailand than we have back home! haha!! I cant imagine a british bobby trying to touch up a yong male while making a standard pocket search in a busy city!

Late last night, walking some of the side sois of Asok I also, like others here, tried to be stopped by 2 cops on a motorbike and got my pockets checked.

I was well dressed and polite, and so where they :o . They certainly looked like real cops to me incl. ID badges, side arms Etc.

I, on purpose, took out my mobile and wallet which they also checked - I myself pulled out the pockets of my jeans so was not "man-handled" :D in any way.

A few coins fell to the ground as I did that and one of the cops dutyfully picked them up and gave them back to me with a "thank you".

Not much drama - but just to let all know that it is still happening.

Cheers!

had that a few times.

twice while coming out of a bar near soi 23.. (NOT SOI COWBOY!!) anyway.. I was in a taxi, they stop the taxi and do a pocket search. they were friendly and courteous both times.

once in Banglampoo, (near to ko san somewhere),, 2 shadey policeman did a minor pcocket search, but they did the old 'feel' my pockets for items, (as a bouncer would at a club). though he made a few unchartered stops around the crotch area, I smailed and politely pushed his hand away. though thats not the first time a thai policeman has tried to touch me 'down there'. seems theres a lot more gay police here in thailand than we have back home! haha!! I cant imagine a british bobby trying to touch up a yong male while making a standard pocket search in a busy city!

i personally have no problems believing that gay thai policemen are gagging to furtle your junk. you must be one good looking fellow.

was anyone ever asked to produce a passport?

yes, usualy they ask for a passport,, but I always say its in my hotel.

they usually dont seem to care.. they advise me to always carry my passport.. so you reply nicely: "Ok, sorry, I will next time".

if you have a plastic drivers license, then carry this,, its small and easy and the thai police will accept it as valid ID.

if a policeman ever gets cranky that you dont have a passport, then invite him to your place of residence,, tell him you will show your passport to him. I am sure he would never take you up on this offer!!

was anyone ever asked to produce a passport?

I got groused up by a couple of lazy wanke_rs in brown once for my passport. It was the middle of the morning near Sukhumvit and I guess I looked like a target for some extra dosh (guess I should have felt complemented)

In my almost eight years here, I've only carried that most valuable of documents when it was needed somewhere. Otherwise, it stays in a safe place at home. Being as such, I told them I didn't have it and they started with the 20 questions routine

- Where you go? - Meet Missus Burrito for lunch.

- What work you do? - None of your farking business.

- Where you go? - I told you once already, you stupid or deaf?

- What you do in Thailand? - I'm bored, why don't we go to the copper house and discuss this with your superiors and as to why I was stopped as well.

- You go now, farang. - Figured as much, wanke_rs.

It was so blatantly a stab for cash, it was embarrassing and I simply didn't feel like playing along.

Dr. B

quote]

I got groused up by a couple of lazy wanke_rs in brown once for my passport. It was the middle of the morning near Sukhumvit and I guess I looked like a target for some extra dosh (guess I should have felt complemented)

In my almost eight years here, I've only carried that most valuable of documents when it was needed somewhere. Otherwise, it stays in a safe place at home. Being as such, I told them I didn't have it and they started with the 20 questions routine

- What you do in Thailand? - I'm bored, why don't we go to the copper house and discuss this with your superiors and as to why I was stopped as well.

It was so blatantly a stab for cash, it was embarrassing and I simply didn't feel like playing along.

Dr. B

Wish you actually had given them those answers.

Anyway,

I really do not see any problems by being stopped by the police.

Every time I am stopped in a Police checkpoint, and the flashlights come up, Im just happy. They are looking for the bad boys, not me.

Many are corrupt, yes. But most just do the job they are assigned to.

Planting something on a person, will result in a lot of paperwork for the Officers, which again can result in nothing (and embaressment for them), if the foreigner wants to follow up.

Randomly stopping people and search/questioning them sends out a very strong signal. I like that. Especially around the entertainment areas.

Asoke/Cowboy area? It is a matter of fact that a lot of foreigners are dealing there.

Have heard countless of complaints about how the "foreigners/immigrants" in our own countries are the main reasons for drugs, etc.

Why should they not think the same here? Especially since we read almost daily about drug related arrests of foreigners in Pattaya.

Dr. B

Anyway,

Every time I am stopped in a Police checkpoint, and the flashlights come up, Im just happy. They are looking for the bad boys, not me.

Planting something on a person, will result in a lot of paperwork for the Officers, which again can result in nothing (and embaressment for them), if the foreigner wants to follow up.

Randomly stopping people and search/questioning them sends out a very strong signal. I like that. Especially around the entertainment areas.

Asoke/Cowboy area? It is a matter of fact that a lot of foreigners are dealing there.

Have heard countless of complaints about how the "foreigners/immigrants" in our own countries are the main reasons for drugs, etc.

Why should they not think the same here? Especially since we read almost daily about drug related arrests of foreigners in Pattaya.

You are assuming the motives of the people doing the stopping are to enforce the law; while I think most of us assume it is a shake down. Randomly stopping people is next to useless; setting up a sting, buying, arresting and prosecuting is more effective, but takes time and good police work.

Those two guys on a motorcycle aslo work the back sub sois over by 22. My old GF lived down on one of the sub sois and twice the taxi we were in was stopped as I was taking her home. However, we were never actually searched, just asked where we were going and told to move along. I guess her condo building was expensive enough that they did not want to risk it.

quote]

Dr. B

I did give those answers, just more times then written as it got a bit repetitive. Bottom line, I showed the same lack of respect for them they were showing for me or their job.

I'd rather move back to the states than endure such silliness.

Dr. B

Anyway,

"Planting something on a person, will result in a lot of paperwork for the Officers"

Are you sure ? What paperwork ? What they want is just that you go to ATM and take as much as you can to give them, so I can't think about any paperwork.

So the very strong signal sent by the police is "beware your bank account", not "do not do anything illegal here"

i showed them my Special card(You know what is it) they stop everything and say have a nice day too me and ride off :o lol

What's that, a Thailand Elite card! :D

Anyway, happened to me when in a taxi on Asoke Eoad, got pulled over, stopped and searched, they told us it was drugs they were looking for. They asked to see our passports which neither of us had, wasn't a problem. Nothing sinister about it, just a random spot check...

The Boys in Brown stop me all the fricking time!!!!! looking for a easy buck! if i was being stopped for a geniune reason i wouldnt care as much but its cos they want to shack some cash into there pockets, it happens all the time around asoke area and is getting right on my nerves! Ive been in the land of smiles and corruption for a few years now and i must get stopped every 10 days or so i have a work permit and have now made a card i keep in my wallet that has a small copy of my passport,visa etc, i ask them why i am being stopped and i get the same "looking for drugs <deleted>".

I love thailand and there are so so many pluses for me in being here, but this place will never be democratic until corruption is shrunk and Jo thai says enough is enough, my other half is thai and freely admits that she not that unhappy with Thaksin, politicians and police being such corrupt scum as long as they do a little bit of good its better than nothing?...... W T F!!!!!!!!

A normally happy guy.

An update here

I know this will hurt some of you guys, but here it is.

I talked to a long time friend of mine whom is a Police Officer in BKK.

Asked him about all the incidents with Police /Farangs in Asoke area.

They were actually looking for a farang.

The description the Police had been given was not good enough to single him out, so they did the next best thing, check all the farangs.

Anyhow, it paid off and they caught him a few days ago.

He got caught with 30 000 pills, in Asoke area.

Once again, I am really sorry about this, as I know some of you guys really hoped it was just the regular corrupt harrassing that we all know too many of the Police Officers do.

just read this and these people from thong lor are forever causing problems, 1 time i was stopped in the gas station opposite to lotus, that runs along from rama iv to port expressway entrance, i had gone out late at night to map my car and i had the laptop in the car and my gf. I turned into gas station as i had no gas, got receipt for 43.5ltrs and the tank holds 45, and the cop leaned into the car and said hes not empty of gas, i speak close to well not fluent but very good thai, however i always speak in english to cops and play dumb!

I had a 40 mins ordeal of being dragged around, out of the car, wallet forced from me, my money counted, searching through my wallet, pulled my car upside down, took everything out and then took away my driving license, they said i tried to avoid them, but i didnt in anyway and i was simply getting gas. My friend went to thong lor station and got my license back for 100b but it was the point of them taking it and the way they were, ive never been stopped so aggressively in 10 years here.

I also got stopped by 2 police suk soi 16, luckily that time i didnt even have my thai license on me or anything as i had gone out at 2am to meet a girl and was just parked outside the 7/11 they let me go, but i was over polite that time, try to avoid the above again. That first time really worried me, wondered if they were gonna plant something in my car or what

If you are a scruffy looking westener trawling the redlight districts in the early hours of the morning i would expect you may well be stopped and searched.

If this is not the case then i can't think why.

Chloe.

That's funny, I fit that description and trawl daily in those areas at that time and I have never even come close to getting stopped, let alone searched.

That's funny, I fit that description and trawl daily in those areas at that time and I have never even come close to getting stopped, let alone searched

yeah and im driving potentially a very expensive car and dressed fine :o however still got the same shit, people come up with these dumb theories or what?

I was stopped 5 times in the Thong Lo area in the 10 days up to the King's birthday. I assumed they were looking for bombs or something. Three times I was just walking along to eat or go to the cinema at Major Bowl ( 2 times on Suk itself and one time just off Sukv headed down towards Rama IV). Two times I was sitting on a seat at a bus stop. One time they asked for my passport saw it was from the USA and never opened it just searched me, one time it was opened but not looked at other than to see my picture, one time my visa was actually looked at to make sure it was valid. Two times they never even looked at my visa just patted me down and seeming randmoly asked me what was in this pocket or that pocket. Strangely enough , one of the times I had a small plastic bag from the 7-11 in my pocket that could have contained anything and they asked me what was in my pocket and I showed them a 7-11 bag and they never bothered to open it to see what might have been inside.

I decided I had enough of being patted down everyday and spent my last week in Pattaya before I came back here to the USA.

After finishing checking me, of course several Thais walked by without being bothered.

Just another reason along with the selective visa changes/enforcement to spend my money somewhere else.