T.b.

plachonubon

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike45 its ridiculous that she was offered either Rifampacin or Izoniazid ... lets check with Sheryl but I am pretty sure a combination is always the way

I am certainly no expert. The hospital is a internationally recognized hospital in Massachusetts and they actually have a TB Clinic. That's what they had recommended.

This is from 1999 but sheds some light on some aspects of what we are discussing. Chris Holme has become a friend of mine since all this and I have emailed him re the vaccine questions. Will keep you posted as will Moss.

Boo I am sooooooooo relieved that I didn't give TB to any of your lovely family and will never forget your kindness in looking after me when I was most ill

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/301704.stm

That's very sweet. Good on Boo - that's the way it should be. I'm so glad no one got sick, and I hope the next round goes well for Seonai (Shona - ha ha).

Hi, I sent my Prof the link to QuantiFERON and this is his reply to me:

''Seonai,

Thanks for passing this on. I suspect you have forwarded this as you feel it may help in your case. It's a test for latent TB, typically in individuals who have been contact traced and are found to be tuberculin skin test positive already- it is more specific for MTB than skin testing, which in turn is cheaper and a better screening tool first line. It does not to determine if Tb is active, so I don't think this offers anything to you.

Mark ''

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody previously mentioned a MAC infection. My mother had that. It took them over a year to diagnose, what with the repeatedly negative TB skin test (no exposure to TB) but the positive sputum test (active TB infection). She finally got treated, and the docs thought she was cured. Unfortunately they were wrong, as they learned from an xray they took post-pneumonia. It showed further damage to her lungs from the bacteria.

The US policy to not use the vaccine is based, in part, on being able to rapidly screen people for potential infection. Anybody with a positive skin test is referred for further testing. The vaccine makes the Mantoux skin test unreliable, as it causes a positive result. This system works very well in a population that has a very low exposure rate. it wouldn't work in, for example, Thailand. Using the vaccine, even though it's effectiveness is less than could be hoped, is a better idea where exposure is more common. Any bit of added resistance you can give a person at high exposure risk is an improvement!

Well last week it was confirmed (???) that although my tests (spit) were AAFB Positive on a smear last year, they were consecutively culture negative. Apparently I had TB about 2 years full on with no diagnosis and that's why I am now disabled for life. It is also why I was spitting up the bugs for so long but the bugs were actually dead once I had the treatment - however on a smear this will show 'Smear Positive' but on a culture it will be negative. :o

My hospital have stopped all drug therapy and have reffered me for lung rehab/counselling to cope with the reduced oxygen situation. My lung function tests last week showed that I have only 50% of the capacity I ought to have for someone my age and height.

I am just telling you all this to encourage people to have tests and not to wait like I did.

The person I was exposed to got a positive AFB and a 2 exrays, all in support of active TB

It is good to hear, that it sounds as though you are TB free now?

Does this mean you can get off the meds?

50% lung capacity, I know that sounds bad, but I think life off of meds, plus 50% capacity, things should get better. The quality of life should be greatly improved.

At least those are my words of encouragement.

I hate to rant, but lets face it.... it is so much more easier to get TB than HIV, but you can't find much about TB. Or at least I could't find much for support groups etc. Serch for support on HIV and there is tons of it out there.