Must We Really Carry Our Passport?

OOLEEBER

The UK passport is surprisingly resilient.

Mine's now in it's eighth year, it's almost full, this is a 48 page version, and it's spent most of that time in my pocket.

It may be somewhat tatty and dog eared and the gold writing on the cover went ages ago, so there is nothing to indicate its origin until you look inside, but it hasn't fallen to pieces, and looks like it will last until I renew it.

I don't always carry it with me Thailand, but usually do through force of habit, here in Russia it's obligatory, and I have no desire to spend any time in the local nick!

:o

We have been discussing this question quite often. The best I heard so far in ThaiVisa, everybody by law has to carry her/his ID-card at all times.

So, if you do not have a Thai ID-card, you have to have another legal form of identification, which, for visiting foreigners is a p/port. Thai dr-licence and/or photocopy of your p/port with all vital and visa-data is usually acepted, but not mentined undr any law as being legal.

As for the quality, I have a 48 pages EU-p/port, which is used up with stamps usually within 12 months, about the same time as the cover is breaking. Certainly a reason for me not to carry that thing along, unless I go to places where it sound likely to come into a police raid, i.e. night time entertainment spots.

Apart from my Passport, I also have an official valid Austrian I.D. Card. This is Credit-Card Sized official ID, allowing me to travel to lots of countries as well (but not Thailand, of course).

Wondering how the acceptance of this ID (which I could easily have with me all the time) would be when the time comes?

(Of course I have a Passport with all necessary valid Visa Stamps, in the safe at my house).

Sunny

I carry my passport at all times, even though its like a small book. I have had the embassy add additional pages to it 3 times, in the 4 years I have lived here. What is so difficult about carrying your passport. Many people carry a billfold or wallet so what is the big problem with carrying your passport? I have traveled all over the world and have always carried my passport at all times.

I see many people state they worry about losing it or have it stolen, to me thats a pretty lame excuse. If your carry cash or or other identification aren't your afraid of losing it or having it stolen? Whats the difference? If your passport is lost or stolen it can be replaced.

The only place I don't carry my passport is in the US where I am from, but I always carry other identification, usually my US drivers license when I am there.