How Do I Withhold My Number?

LuckyLucas

Hi All

I want to dial home to england with my thai mobile (1-2-call) and don't want number to be shown.

In the UK we can put 141 before the number for it to be withheld from the person who we call.

Is there an equivalent for my thai mobile?

been looking on the web to no avail...

thanks to anyone who can help

regards to all LL

Hi All.

I want to dial home to england with my thai mobile (1-2-call) and don't want number to be shown. In the UK we can put 141 before the number for it to be withheld from the person who we call. Is there an equivalent for my thai mobile? I've been looking on the web to no avail.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Regards to all LL

Do you know how to operate a mobile phone? Can you read? Perhaps you need other instructions, like how to.....

Hi All.

I want to dial home to england with my thai mobile (1-2-call) and don't want number to be shown. In the UK we can put 141 before the number for it to be withheld from the person who we call. Is there an equivalent for my thai mobile? I've been looking on the web to no avail.

Regards to all LL

Do you know how to operate a mobile phone? Can you read? Perhaps you need other instructions, like how to.....

You cannot withhold your number in a Thai Phone. It is not allowed. Not a bad idea, if you think about it.

Three suggestions - you either use a land line extension number in a company with a switchboard, use a payphone, or you can buy a new sim for only 99 Baht (1 pound50) and put it in your phone, and buy enough credit to make your call. When you've finished the call you can throw the sim away and put your regular sim back in the phone.

Use a landline for 10 baht a minute If you have Skype credit call from a PC. & it won't send an ID number 10 euro to open an account on a credit card. takes 5 minutes or less on a computer or if you are not planning a long call the overseas calling for roughly 10 baht a minute may be your best option.

Beardog

Edited by Beardog

Hi All.

Regards to all LL

Whats your problem? Jerkypants

Damian

elka, the appropriate digits numbers changed here in Oz recently.

Such info isn't in my mobile's manual, nor in previous mobiles' manuals.

You may be correct but all one has to do is to go into the phones "menu" & look around. By doing this, I quickly learnt that you can't use a Thai SIM card & prevent your number from being sent. What happens is that the phone refuses to call the number if you request that your own number not be sent

All it took was an ounce of effort...obviously an ounce too much for some people.

Use a VOIP service, these typically use local numbers to teerminate in host countries, thogh not always, but you have a better chance of your nunmber not showing up or a strange number instead of your thai number.

As said, you can't turn off number showing in Thai mobiles, as soon as you do , the mobile no longer works :o

Though for many people, they won't know WHY the phone has stopped working

As has been noted, the Thai GSM system does not support general Caller ID suppression. The service is {was?} available but I've only ever come across it in use by senior military, police & politicos.

Regards

PS Damian's avatar was when he was 'in character' if I recall, he's after all a Thespian.

As has been noted, the Thai GSM system does not support general Caller ID suppression. The service is {was?} available but I've only ever come across it in use by senior military, police & politicos.

Regards

PS Damian's avatar was when he was 'in character' if I recall, he's after all a Thespian.

Damian/Mavis

Is He, She Transgender ?

Unable to discern from writing style/ content

Not nosey Just curious,

If you are just trying to keep your number private you can use the previous suggestions. If you are trying to hide your location you can get a phone card from a different country and call the phone card number from your mobile. Input your PIN and the number you want to call and this will hide your location from caller ID systems.

Hi All.

Regards to all LL

not so simple as you arrogantly wrongly assume - perhaps you need to but out of things you dont understand

Thanks for the suggestions - ideally I need no number shown at all as oppose to a 'weird' number (not identifying me as being in thailand or voip)

Took on board - thank you all (well most :o )

LL

Don't end this thread now - I'm waiting for the next pearl of wisdom from elkangorito.......

Thanks for the suggestions - ideally I need no number shown at all as oppose to a 'weird' number (not identifying me as being in thailand or voip)

Took on board - thank you all (well most :o )

LL

Don't end this thread now - I'm waiting for the next pearl of wisdom from elkangorito.......

elkangorito is working hard at "sarcasm", but hasn't quite got it right yet. :D

How well do you want it hidden?

Using Skype may go some way from hiding that you're in Thailand when calling, for example, the Missus back home.. Especially if you routinely use it.

However Skype is pretty much guaranteed to log your IP address, so it won't effectively hide your location from authorities. You could tunnel the Skype call of course.. though if through a public system then performance / call quality will go down, possibly by a lot.

Hi All

I want to dial home to england with my thai mobile (1-2-call) and don't want number to be shown.

In the UK we can put 141 before the number for it to be withheld from the person who we call.

Is there an equivalent for my thai mobile?

been looking on the web to no avail...

thanks to anyone who can help

regards to all LL

Even if you manage to hide your number what guarantee do you have that the other party will pick up the phone when you call?

Or am I the only paranoid one who doesn't answer the phone when no number or an unknown number appears?

Many thanks for the help - I was really pushed for time in the end - I rang the uk using 00844... and tested calling friends first. To cable and BT landlines my number was unobtainable and to various mobile networks my number came up as 035... (an 'odd' number) - it didn't show 0066 for thailand anyway. So I bit the bullet and dialled the important number back home. I'll know imminently whether I'm in deep shit or not. i.e., they know I'm in thailand. Thanks again all.

Many thanks for the help - I was really pushed for time in the end - I rang the uk using 00844... and tested calling friends first. To cable and BT landlines my number was unobtainable and to various mobile networks my number came up as 035... (an 'odd' number) - it didn't show 0066 for thailand anyway. So I bit the bullet and dialled the important number back home. I'll know imminently whether I'm in deep shit or not. i.e., they know I'm in thailand. Thanks again all.

One of the best way you can get around this is to buy an international calling card that provide you with the pin code via email. Once you have this card they'll provide UK local numbers normally in the UK they will normally provide a London 0207 number for you to call - so this number is perfectly accessible from International number. So then call the number and use the card to call local in the country. No number is normally shown.

A bit late for you but maybe next time . . . these cards are often used by people in the UK who don't like people knowing where they are in the UK and make all phone call via this cards.

But really the main problem calling from Thailand via normal phone services is the delay.