Chiang Mai Photographic Group (cmpg)

Rice_King

All those with an interest in photography, be it film or digital are warmly invited. We meet every fortnight, on Wednesdays, at 7.00 PM in Tuskers Bar.

For more information, please PM me.

I expect my new camera by the end of this month and would love to join you. But I have to ask why is the meeting at Tuskers Bar and at night? I know it is a very popular bar, but I come from Mae Jo and Tuskers has no parking on site or near by. After a year of hearing about all the activity there I went by to see where it is located. I came in the back way from Taepae Road, which was fun by itself. And then, as I was giving up on finding a parking spot, felt lucky to find a spot inside the moat as someone was pulling out. I don't particularly relish thinking I would have to go at least 1/2 hour early just to find parking.

I expect my new camera by the end of this month and would love to join you. But I have to ask why is the meeting at Tuskers Bar and at night? I know it is a very popular bar, but I come from Mae Jo and Tuskers has no parking on site or near by. After a year of hearing about all the activity there I went by to see where it is located. I came in the back way from Taepae Road, which was fun by itself. And then, as I was giving up on finding a parking spot, felt lucky to find a spot inside the moat as someone was pulling out. I don't particularly relish thinking I would have to go at least 1/2 hour early just to find parking.

Yes, parking is less than ideal in that part of town (although since recently getting a car I've always been able to find a place fairly nearby) but we chose Tuskers because they have good equipment for viewing digital photographs and the management is very focused on providing service for groups such as ours and goes the extra mile to make us welcome. We're meeting in the evenings because at the planning stage it was generally felt that this suited the majority of people but it's probably a policy that we'll review from time to time if the members request it.

We'll look around and see if we can add any reliable parking spots to Tuskers' list but in the meantime hope that you'll be able to join us next Wednesday the 28th - bring a Loy Krathong picture along if your new camera arrives in time. Our guest at the next meeting is Steve Kramer of Photo Envisions and we expect a good mix of members with wide ranging interests and experience. Feel free to PM me for the group's site address where there are more details about future activities.

Feel free to PM me for the group's site address where there are more details about future activities.

You can add the group's website address to your profile which will be easier than sending PMs. Hope that the club goes well - may need to bring in my box brownie and get some tips :o

regards

CB

Feel free to PM me for the group's site address where there are more details about future activities.

You can add the group's website address to your profile which will be easier than sending PMs. Hope that the club goes well - may need to bring in my box brownie and get some tips :o

regards

CB

Thanks, I've done that and you'd be very welcome to come to a group meeting anytime.

Our guest at the next meeting is Steve Kramer of Photo Envisions and we expect a good mix of members with wide ranging interests and experience. Feel free to PM me for the group's site address where there are more details about future activities.

What is Steve Kramer going to talk about?

My digital camera died this week. RIP. It was a good old boy. 3 and a half years old. The CCD went out. It was a Kodak Easy ShareDX4530. I will be looking for a new camera to replace the old. The question is, how much to spend and where to get the money? Maybe i can teach english.

Super interesting. I like taking pictures, have a nice digital camera, but hardly know about all its functions.

I'll try to make it coming Wednesday ... IF the dogs let me .... :o

Untill now, never had a problem with finding a parking place whne going to Tuskers. Park always at the inside of the moat.

Nienke

P.S. Greenside the url you gave on your pm is not active, in other words you can't click on it.

All those with an interest in photography, be it film or digital are warmly invited. We meet every fortnight, on Wednesdays, at 7.00 PM in Tuskers Bar.

For more information, please PM me.

Hey Guys im looking for someone to take photos of my products for my website any offers would be gratefully accepted cheers

regards

CB

Thanks, I've done that and you'd be very welcome to come to a group meeting anytime.

Your are most welcome - I suggest you direct people to your Profile for informaton. I am trying to get permission for your group to use the URL in the announcements - be patient.

I would like to come along to the meetings but I live quite a way out of town (at least at the moment) and my beloved one is somewhat dubious when I say "I'd like to go to the bar for a photographic meeting" :D

I will be there on Friday though for the Unofficial CM TV party

CB

Dear photographers,

I require a photographer now and again for taking photographs at special events/theme dinners/team building etc - please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Warrioroo

Hey Guys im looking for someone to take photos of my products for my website any offers would be gratefully accepted cheers

Please, with all due respect folks, try posting your own thread(s) and stop hacking this one.

Yes, I know this is a publc forum and yes, I realize you are just using the resources available to you and maybe you're just taking the easy route. But it doesn't cost you a single baht to start your own thread. It is absolutely FREE. There is no need to hijack this one.

Let's try to stay on the subject of the original post.

Thanks!

--RK

Our guest at the next meeting is Steve Kramer of Photo Envisions and we expect a good mix of members with wide ranging interests and experience. Feel free to PM me for the group's site address where there are more details about future activities.

What would you like to hear about? :o

Edited by FolkGuitar

Displaying and archiving photos by geotagging.

I think that might just be getting a little ahead of ourselves there..... We've got to cover downloading, cropping and processing the pictures first! :o Geotagging is definitely something for the future though.

I have geotagged some photos to have them display in Google Earth. Personally, geotagging is an area of interest that I would like to have discussed at one of our futue meetings. But as Greenside mentioned, taking good photos is first and foremost. This isn't to say that you and I (and other interested parties) cannot trade ideas and build on our geotagging experiences outside of the group.

Hmmm..... interesting subject. You do have a GPS unit connected to your camera, right? They aren't all that expensive these days, small and light enough. But I think for a 'first meeting,' it might be better to focus (pun intended) on something of interest to a bit broader cross section of the photographers. Like 'how to take better photos.' But geotagging is going to be the next 'must do' for serious photogs!

Edited by FolkGuitar

Hmmm..... interesting subject. You do have a GPS unit connected to your camera, right? They aren't all that expensive these days, small and light enough. But I think for a 'first meeting,' it might be better to focus (pun intended) on something of interest to a bit broader cross section of the photographers. Like 'how to take better photos.' But geotagging is going to be the next 'must do' for serious photogs!

My camera unfortunately won't talk to a GPS unit. So far I have been manually entering all my geotags with grids I get from a very old GPS unit I have, or more often, from map spots taken from Google Earth or Google Maps. Has worked so far, though it will get more difficult as I go back further through my archives...

I have geotagged some photos to have them display in Google Earth. Personally, geotagging is an area of interest that I would like to have discussed at one of our futue meetings. But as Greenside mentioned, taking good photos is first and foremost. This isn't to say that you and I (and other interested parties) cannot trade ideas and build on our geotagging experiences outside of the group.

How are you displaying them in Google Earth? Through panoramio, or writing the KML and hosting the pics yourself, or some other way?

Up until a couple weeks ago, I had never even heard of geotagging.

This is how I am displaying pics in Google Earth: http://www.iipix.com/kml/eds_photos.kml

I'll keep working on it...

[How are you displaying them in Google Earth? Through panoramio, or writing the KML and hosting the pics yourself, or some other way?

Not wanting to be hypocritical by not following my own advice on forum etiquette, I have sent you a PM explaining my process for geotagging.

I don't know the rules about this, so Mr/Ms Moderator, please cut me some slack if I over-step the boundaries with this post, and correct me but don't shoot me.... :o

For those attending the Photographer's Meeting on Weds night, you may wish to bring a memory stick or a blank CD... I'm assuming someone will have a laptop to use.

One topic that could be well worth covering sometime is setting pictures for web use, and calibrating monitors to a standard brilliance / contrast / saturation level. I see so many pictures posted all over the web that are either so bright they look like they're taken in a snowstorm, or so dark, they look like the flash failed in a coal mine. Yet, when copying them to a photo editor, they can be adjusted and all the detail is there.

On a similar topic, is web-optimising the file size. i.e. reducing the file size from 2MB+ down to 10-20KB for faster download and display. (Also helps to stop image piracy of high definition pictures).

Marshall - re product pics - PM me

Being an old-tech type dude, I'd be interested in a meeting that covered how to use and integrate a GPS with the camera, images, and PC :o

Gaz

Dear friends,

I am please have a nice talk consult about photograph in Chiang Mai I have a long stay at photo gallery homestay. I and my other friends who are photographers always meet there on Friday evening.We may exchange ideas.

Edited by alfonsogett

Dear friends,

I am please have a nice talk consult about photograph in Chiang Mai I have a long stay at photo gallery homestay. I and my other friends who are photographers always meet there on Friday evening.We may exchange ideas.

where do you meet?