Hot Air Paper Balloons

meandwi

Does anyone know how to construct one of those candle powered paper hot air balloons? I would love to make an authentic one for my wife and child. I need to know size, type of paper, type of glue, materials for frame and type of ignition/candle. I couldn't find this online, so I'm hopeing someone here can help. Thank you

Does anyone know how to construct one of those candle powered paper hot air balloons? I would love to make an authentic one for my wife and child. I need to know size, type of paper, type of glue, materials for frame and type of ignition/candle. I couldn't find this online, so I'm hopeing someone here can help. Thank you

Can't help you there I just bought them from the side of the road as I was leaving Chiang Mai.

But I would like to know if I will get in trouble sending one up in BKK as i don't recall seeing it done here before.

Cheers

Can't help you there I just bought them from the side of the road as I was leaving Chiang Mai.

But I would like to know if I will get in trouble sending one up in BKK as i don't recall seeing it done here before.

Cheers

I don`t think it would be a good idea though I am interested to know if you do have any problems.

"Think about it ! "

Releasing any hot-air balloon near a flight path is probably not a good idea,

though I maybe wrong.

Releasing any flaming material into the wind is probably not a good idea,

you never know where it may come down !

Sorry to be a spoil-sport, guess I lived in Oz too long and saw too many bush-fires,

thus terrified of "out of control fires"

Offence Not Intended

The paper is thin "tissue" type paper, you could probably get something similar from a craft or gift shop. The frame is normally from thin dried bamboo, you only need a simple loop top and bottom to maintain the cylindrical shape. (others just glue the top part together and use a single loop at the base). I use TOA (brand) PVA glue watered down a little.

The burner will take a little work to get the perfect result: Take an old cooking pot (old tin will work if the right size) which you fill with candle wax, using a gentle electrical heater melt the wax, add a cheap roll of toilet paper - you will need to weight it down while the wax soaks into the paper, let it cook on a very gentle heat until the air bubbles stop coming from the paper roll. Remove the wax soaked toilet roll and allow to cool, when the wax is solid again cut the roll into disc sections about 1cm thick depending on the diameter of the roll, it's not rocket science just use your judgement.

Use light grade fuse wire (5 amp) to secure the burner on the bottom of the balloon body. Not too close to the paper as the flame will cause the whole thing to catch fire. As you have a few wax discs to play with, experiment with balloon size and shape. You can paint the sides of the balloon if you wish, of get your kids to do so. Adds to their fun seeing something you have contructed together drift up up and away.

My personal best was a balloon just over a metre in diameter, but I have been at LKs where a 3.5 metre balloon was launched - that was difficult to manouver before to shot up powered by six of the wax discs; prior to launch the ballon canopy fill was assisted with a blowtorch.

Have fun.

This is a large file size image - but shows good detail.

As for the launching of fire balloons near flight paths: Like many LKers I don't consult the weather department before letting the balloons loose. I do know that there is a general aviation warning that Thailand issues during LK to advise pilots of these balloons that are released all over SEA, not just in Thailand.

If you think fire balloons are dangerous, please do not click on this link: http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok/buildings/rocket/S3010453.jpg , this is simply madness. Yasothon 2551 - here I come!

As for the launching of fire balloons near flight paths: Like many LKers I don't consult the weather department before letting the balloons loose. I do know that there is a general aviation warning that Thailand issues during LK to advise pilots of these balloons that are released all over SEA, not just in Thailand.

I guess it will be OK then.

Cheers

Last Loy Krathong, I saw one of these things take off into a tree and set the tree on fire. It didn't burn very much as it had been raining quite hard and, also, the tree was quite green. I'll be ready this year with my camera. :o

The paper is thin "tissue" type paper, you could probably get something similar from a craft or gift shop. The frame is normally from thin dried bamboo, you only need a simple loop top and bottom to maintain the cylindrical shape. (others just glue the top part together and use a single loop at the base). I use TOA (brand) PVA glue watered down a little.

The burner will take a little work to get the perfect result: Take an old cooking pot (old tin will work if the right size) which you fill with candle wax, using a gentle electrical heater melt the wax, add a cheap roll of toilet paper - you will need to weight it down while the wax soaks into the paper, let it cook on a very gentle heat until the air bubbles stop coming from the paper roll. Remove the wax soaked toilet roll and allow to cool, when the wax is solid again cut the roll into disc sections about 1cm thick depending on the diameter of the roll, it's not rocket science just use your judgement.

Use light grade fuse wire (5 amp) to secure the burner on the bottom of the balloon body. Not too close to the paper as the flame will cause the whole thing to catch fire. As you have a few wax discs to play with, experiment with balloon size and shape. You can paint the sides of the balloon if you wish, of get your kids to do so. Adds to their fun seeing something you have contructed together drift up up and away.

My personal best was a balloon just over a metre in diameter, but I have been at LKs where a 3.5 metre balloon was launched - that was difficult to manouver before to shot up powered by six of the wax discs; prior to launch the ballon canopy fill was assisted with a blowtorch.

Have fun.

This is a large file size image - but shows good detail.

If you think fire balloons are dangerous, please do not click on this link: http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok/buildings/rocket/S3010453.jpg , this is simply madness. Yasothon 2551 - here I come!

Thank you for this Idea. I was having a little problem with the flame staying lit. I will give this a try.