What Colour Is Petrol?

davethailand

Could be to stop the filling stations selling the cheaper one as the more expensive one ... ?

I think back in England somebody said that deisel for agricultural use was coloured with a red dye because it was cheaper than the prices at the pumps.

Could be to stop the filling stations selling the cheaper one as the more expensive one ... ?

There's less than 1bht difference in price, so i wouldn't think so. Its gotta be to determine the two apart. :D

Apparently you can take the red dye out of agricultural diesel in the UK, by mixing it with cooking oil. But then again, I might have just made that up off the top of my head. :o

I think back in England somebody said that deisel for agricultural use was coloured with a red dye because it was cheaper than the prices at the pumps.

In the UK "Red Deisel" is tax free....

UK red diesel is a ###### of a lot cheaper to buy than diesel intended for cars etc. I use it in my tractor when I'm ploughing the fields back in the UK. Costs next to nothing....

Will cost you a ###### of a lot more than diesel intended for road use if you're caught using it in your car though ..........

Not just for agricultural vehicles either, for use by any vehicle which generally doesn't use public highways such as diggers, bulldozers, forklifts etc etc.

I guess the different colour dyes in Thailand come in useful for the guys who sell fuel from glass bottles at the side of the road.

Since 1994, the IRS has required refiners to dye diesel fuel intended for off-road use, which is not taxable, to prevent its being sold, illegally since not taxed, for on-road use. The fuel is colored by the addition of 11 ppm of a red dye, enough to turn the diesel fuel cherry red, but apparently not enough to damage diesel engines.

Many pipelines used to transport diesel fuel are also used to transport jet fuel. Tests run by GE have shown that 0.5 ppm of the dye in jet fuel can begin to gum up fuel nozzles. There are also concerns that the dye could cause uneven heating, hence turbine blade cracking and catastrophic failure of engines.

I vaguely remember a scam in Canada back in the early 70's I believe where distributors would fill up your furnace oil tank with fuel on which they had not paid tax on (for farming). The reason why the refineies had to dye up the different products.

91 Red

95 Yellow

Gazza

Anybody know why?

I thought that colouring is added to the two different grades of petrol in Thailand so one can easily distinguish between the two at the old hand-cranked, fuel-out-of-a-barrel, style stations.

I thought that colouring is added to the two different grades of petrol in Thailand so one can easily distinguish between the two at the old hand-cranked, fuel-out-of-a-barrel, style stations.

So far, this makes the most sense, because you can see the fuel in the glass cylinder above the pump.