New To Bkk

tb86

Ok so ,,, was planning on coming to bkk on vacation for the next two months with my long time girlfriend, who is thai,,,,, from nyc, her father wants me to move to thailand for a year to get to know the family, culture ect. So im hurring to get all set up for the move any insights that i may need to take into consideration that you guys dealt with when moving to thailand,, is spending 1000 usd a month realistic for a nice 1 bedroom apt,

Ok so ,,, was planning on coming to bkk on vacation for the next two months with my long time girlfriend, who is thai,,,,, from nyc, her father wants me to move to thailand for a year to get to know the family, culture ect. So im hurring to get all set up for the move any insights that i may need to take into consideration that you guys dealt with when moving to thailand,, is spending 1000 usd a month realistic for a nice 1 bedroom apt,

Jeez,, uh, marry her before making any life changes? And $1200 a month for total bills should be just fine. It's great to meet the family, but keep your career in mind. If you can afford a year for a girlfriend, then cool, have fun! Also, if the family is hosting you, you shouldn't be required to front $1000 a month for room and board. If you are thinking of marriage, thats good, but truly consider where the marriage needs to take place for visa reasons. And look into which visa you need for your trip. Have a blast, but plan in depth. I'll be there in less than 3 weeks into major family action, I'm sweatin', but I'm sure they'll be ok. Watch your cash, watch the cons, and watch the pickpockets. Look out for monster atm/visa charges, shop around for the best exchange rates, big bills and travellers checks get the best exchanges. Put no valuables in your luggage.

Above all, ignore the doomsayers, have a great time!

her father wants me to move to thailand for a year to get to know the family, culture ect.

A bit strange to ask his future son in law. You are marrying not the family but your girlfriend and, as you are not going to settle down in thailand, you don't need to know thai culture that deep.

Yeah it seems a little excessive to me that we need to stay a year, but if i want dads permission to become part of the family,,,,,,, this is what needs to happen, not sure if i need to work yet or not, he says its preferred if i only do something part time, so were going to try and set up a consulting company, im big question is upon entry i have been led to believe that i will receive a 30 day visa, whats the best way to get a longer visa ? enroll in a school?

Yeah it seems a little excessive to me that we need to stay a year

This is your life and if you start making life style changes to make other people feel warm and cozy then your life is over. If the lady really cares about you then your opinion should matter and be willing to side with you on this issue.

Be a man and take back your balls and do what you think is best.

Hmm fitting name, thanks for the help brother, anyone with any useful information pretaining to visas out there your thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated, i read somewhere that a residence card could be purchased for between 5 to 10 k as long as you have proof that you had 20k usd in a bank acct, any truth to this?

setting up a company just for less than a year would be wasting your energy

just a restaurant consulting company no real start up costs we have the networking in bkk so its not too difficult, easier than working for someone else