2 Thai Teachers Sentenced To 50 Years For Raping 6 Of Their Students

sriracha john

The more I read up on the conviction, the more I concur with it - though I think the sentence is light.

They've deeply traumatized several little girls - horrible emotional scars they'll carry the rest of their lives.

It's the tip of the iceburg of child rape situation in Thailand - the lion's share perpetrated by Thais.

Death would have been more commensurate for Lorn, who appears to be the more sinister of the pair.

As it is, may they suffer every day they're in custody. And hope they don't get out on bail or get pardonned.

That unpunished child rape occurs all too frequently in Thailand is very likely a given. But the reporting in this particular case raises more questions than it answers.

If we are dealing with a judiciary reknown for demanding proof beyond a reasonable doubt- a judiciary that would never sacrifice a couple of common folk in the interest of pandering to public outcries for 'something to be done'- a judiciary that is motivated more by personal principle than the need to preserve social harmony- or the 'face' of the nation (which has suffered considerably in the last few months- thank you Canada!), then I suppose we can take the ruling at face value. The guys were guilty. We know that because the court said so.

But given what's been made public (thanks SRJ) more questions than answers are raised.

One can also imagine that given the recent re-emergence of the (myth?) of Thailand as a place where pedophiles get away scott free- the impact- local and abroad- of a headline such as "Accused serial baby rapists allowed to walk".

I have no idea at all about the guilt or innocence of these guys- nor do any of us- but the shoddiness of the press (once again) is beyond doubt.

I'd like to thank TV for letting this topic run. There have been some excellent posts with very valuable insight into this case. And well done to the posters for keeping it on-topic.

I would also like to say that I hope the poor kids in this case get all the help they need. I don't think they'll ever get over what they've been through, but best wishes to them for the future.

As it is, may they suffer every day they're in custody. And hope they don't get out on bail or get pardonned.

And they will suffer.

This link below is an interesting read, written by the famous Gor of Gor's world. In case you are not familiar, he is a young man who authored a lot of bilingual articles and study material which appears in learningthai.com. He was arrested on charges of drug possession. In this site he describes his experiences in a Thai prison. Even though he is probably considered a hero and a model prisoner, life is still rough on the inside. He is completely at the mercy of his mates in his crowded cell and of the guards.

I doubt if these men, convicted of multiple child rape will live a long life or will die of natural causes.

http://www.thaiprisonlife.com/

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

I have no idea if it's true or not. I'm glad though that at least subjects like this are getting a public airing, and previously untouchables are getting their laundry aired in public.

Also saw in the Phuket Gazette that a former Phuket Govenor has been jailed for sex with under age kids

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...yes&Id=6096

I have no idea if it's true or not. I'm glad though that at least subjects like this are getting a public airing, and previously untouchables are getting their laundry aired in public.

Also saw in the Phuket Gazette that a former Phuket Govenor has been jailed for sex with under age kids

Great news. :o

The subject of Thaivisa thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=153379

Former Senator Sentenced To 36 Years For Statutory Rape, prior sentence upheld by the Supreme Court on appeal

Pasted from the MP Pavena website

Indicatior of Abuse

Child abusecan mean physically hurting a child, sexually molesting, failing to provide proper care or depriving a child of affection and acceptance.

Types of child abuse include

neglect

emotional abuse

physical abuse

sexual abuse

The following are definitions and indicators for physical, sexual and emotional abuse and neglect. Signs of abuse may include but are not limited to these indicators. It is important to note that the presence of any one indicator is not conclusive proof that a child has been abused. In most instances, abused children will exhibit a number of behavioural and physical indicators.

Neglect

Most caregivers do not intend to neglect their children. It usually results from ignorance about appropriate care for children or an ability to plan ahead. Neglect occurs when a caregiver fails to provide basic needs such as adequate food, sleep, safety, supervision, clothing or medical treatment.

Behavioral indicators

pale, listless, unkempt

frequent absence from school

inappropriate clothing for the weather, dirty clothes

engaged in delinquent acts, alcohol/drug abuse.

frequently forgets a lunch

Physical indicators

poor hygiene

unattended physical problems or medical needs, e.g., dental work, glasses

consistent lack of supervision

Emotional abuse Emotional abuse includes all acts which result in the absence of a nurturing environment for the child. It occurs when the caregiver continually treats the child in such a negative way that the child's concept of "self" is seriously impaired. Emotionally abusive behavior by the caregiver can include constant yelling; demanding remarks; rejecting, ignoring or isolating the child; or terrorizing the child. Emotional abuse can be the most difficult to identify and prove.

Behavioural indicators

severe depression

extreme withdrawal or aggressiveness

overly compliant, too mannered, too neat and clean

extreme attention seeking

displays extreme inhibition in play

Physical indicators

bed-wetting that is non-organic in origin

frequent psychosomatic complaints, headaches, nausea,

abdominal pains

child fails to thrive for non-organic reasons

Quite interesting that both the lack of hygiene and being too clean are signs of abuse. Following Pavena's principles, I wonder if we can find a single child in Thailand that can hope to avoid to be rescued by Pavena's Foundation.

Being a parent in Thailand is becoming extremely difficult :o

I am happy with this result. My wifes parents live in Sai Mai and one of her sisters daughters goes to this school, some of the neighbours also go to this school. One of the victims lives in the same 'moo ban', and the story is very real and having 2 small children makes it very uncomfortably close to home.

At that time we were thinking of putting our children in the Sai Mai school, and afterwards we are happy that we not went through with it. Having a 'na-rak' daughter of almost 6 years old, it is even more scary.

Pasted from the MP Pavena website

Indicatior of Abuse

Child abusecan mean physically hurting a child, sexually molesting, failing to provide proper care or depriving a child of affection and acceptance.

Types of child abuse include

neglect

emotional abuse

physical abuse

sexual abuse

The following are definitions and indicators for physical, sexual and emotional abuse and neglect. Signs of abuse may include but are not limited to these indicators. It is important to note that the presence of any one indicator is not conclusive proof that a child has been abused. In most instances, abused children will exhibit a number of behavioural and physical indicators.

Neglect

Most caregivers do not intend to neglect their children. It usually results from ignorance about appropriate care for children or an ability to plan ahead. Neglect occurs when a caregiver fails to provide basic needs such as adequate food, sleep, safety, supervision, clothing or medical treatment.

Behavioral indicators

pale, listless, unkempt

frequent absence from school

inappropriate clothing for the weather, dirty clothes

engaged in delinquent acts, alcohol/drug abuse.

frequently forgets a lunch

Physical indicators

poor hygiene

unattended physical problems or medical needs, e.g., dental work, glasses

consistent lack of supervision

Emotional abuse Emotional abuse includes all acts which result in the absence of a nurturing environment for the child. It occurs when the caregiver continually treats the child in such a negative way that the child's concept of "self" is seriously impaired. Emotionally abusive behavior by the caregiver can include constant yelling; demanding remarks; rejecting, ignoring or isolating the child; or terrorizing the child. Emotional abuse can be the most difficult to identify and prove.

Behavioural indicators

severe depression

extreme withdrawal or aggressiveness

overly compliant, too mannered, too neat and clean

extreme attention seeking

displays extreme inhibition in play

Physical indicators

bed-wetting that is non-organic in origin

frequent psychosomatic complaints, headaches, nausea,

abdominal pains

child fails to thrive for non-organic reasons

Quite interesting that both the lack of hygiene and being too clean are signs of abuse. Following Pavena's principles, I wonder if we can find a single child in Thailand that can hope to avoid to be rescued by Pavena's Foundation.

Being a parent in Thailand is becoming extremely difficult :o

What I find even more interesting is that you pick out two characteristics out of a long list and proceed to isolate them out of context for your personal opinion.

Let me clarify what I meant by trumped up, the rape in front of the class is clearly so far off the wall I find it hard to believe. To say that, someone else is getting benefit from it perhaps to launch an attack on teachers and or the hiring system. As for the actual act, I can’t judge if it happened or not, but if it did happen as advertized then clearly the teachers were out of their right mind.

I dont remember reading anything whatsoever about these poor girls claiming that they had been raped in front of the "whole class", rather it was stated they where raped in front of "classmates" in the classroom which is entirely conceivable for this is a way that perpetrators can coerce their friends who where also raped into believing that what "they" (the teachers) where doing was quite normal and natural...... a way of showing love.

I really do know what I am talking about........ I spent 12 years in local authority care and have been party too and witnessed things you would never ever believe. The truth is most abusees never go on to talk about it and if or when they do, along come the naysayers who doubt the veracity of their claims. A little sensitivity please for most of you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about

JAF

50 years each? Without parole they will die in jail. Good sentencing.

This is LOS.

There will be reduction for King's birthday, reduction for good behavior, parole, etc.

It is possible the teachers will walk out to their freedom in this lifetime!

What they will suffer at the hands of their prison mates and guards is another story.

O yes these kind of things would never happen in the land of very friendly people.

Well, step into the real world, these things do happen in Thailand and this case shows you just that.

O, I thought it were only those foreigners that are working on schools that are doing that.....

Well go a bit upcountry and you will soon hear story's (if you know people well) of people that have been caught of such behaviour buying their way out in order

not to disturb the peacefull life that once was.

These kind of sick persons are everywhere around the world, so yes also in Thailand where there is just a tiny litlle change that there are a handfull of people on a population of 60 Million that are commiting these kind of crimes.

Please wake up, this is a real problem in Thailand and the world but for many people, taboo.

:o