Tourist Visa Application In Laos

Any advice from the the expert tv members much appreciated,

I'm on my last 30 day exemption stamp from Ban Laem (Daung,Cambodian/Ban Laem, Thai Border) My 'stamp' expires 24th Nov, and I will go to Laos to apply for said Tourist Visa. I have never had a Tourist Visa before.

I have had a Non B previous (Utilised 15 months), 3 exemption stamps and plan to get a TV from Laos net week. Please can you advise with recent experience which docs are required for the TV, also Is a multi entry tourist visa available here? I would like to obtain a 2month TV which I can then extend at suan plu for an extra 30 days.

Many thanks in advance, this is the best Thai forum ever! Thanks!

DSG

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do a search you should find some recent threads about experiences in Vientiane.

No documentation is required.

There have been several recent reports of people getting double-entry tourist visas there.

If you do a search you should find some recent threads about experiences in Vientiane.

There have been several recent reports of people getting double-entry tourist visas there.

Cheers tropo shall do another search, just need to confirm details , thanks for your input mate.

Best

DSG

Edited by designersing

Cheers tropo shall do another search, just need to confirm details , thanks for your input mate.

Best

DSG

You'll need a copy of the photo page of your passport and 2 photos. You can download the application form from the embassy website to save time when you get there.

Double entry requires that you have a Thai Bank book with you. No mention of funds was made, only that they wanted to see a bank book.

Eek! A Thai Bank Book? Are you sure? This seems impossible for somebody wanting a tourist visa! Please can you clarify your experience, as I somehow doubt a Thai bank book is required, even on a non b without work permit people have failed to open a bank account, so I suggest your comments are incorrect, possibly you mean to show details of your financial status, ie, savings to substantiate your application to the officer, but please put me wrong. I'll put 100b on it that you don't, troll worthy for sure.

Best

DSG

Edited by designersing

You will definately get a single entry, maybe a double.

It really is not dificult to get a bank acc. with a bank book on a tourist visa. You may have to try a few different banks but you will get one.

I must admit I do not remember reading about a bank book being needed but you can never have too many pluses on your side.

Edited by Lite Beer

Double entry requires that you have a Thai Bank book with you. No mention of funds was made, only that they wanted to see a bank book.

Eek! A Thai Bank Book? Are you sure? This seems impossible for somebody wanting a tourist visa! Please can you clarify your experience, as I somehow doubt a Thai bank book is required, even on a non b without work permit people have failed to open a bank account, so I suggest your comments are incorrect, possibly you mean to show details of your financial status, ie, savings to substantiate your application to the officer, but please put me wrong. I'll put 100b on it that you don't, troll worthy for sure.

Best

DSG

In all the recent reports where people have received double-entry tourist visas from Vientiane NOBODY has ever reported needing to show a bank book.

I was in Vientiane on monday to get a new Non-B visa and my friend applied for a tourist visa. The guy at the application counter outside told my friend that a double entry was no problem, he just had to pay 2000 Baht at the counter inside the consulate. I personally heard the lady at the counter tell him, that to get a double, he must show a "Thai Bank Book". He asked her if he could get a statement from his foreign bank account and show all his credit cards, but she wouldn't budge. On a plus side she didn't mention anything about having large funds in the Thai account.

Read all my previous posts, I'm not a troll. I'm just reporting the facts. And read this post: Double Entry T.v Vientiane. You even replied to that one Tropo...

Edited by Norrad

I still do not believe you whatsoever. Do backpackers travelling in south east asia also have to have a thai bank book to apply for a dble entry tv in this circumstance? I doubt your words very much. I will send a pm to Lopburi3 who I am sure will clarify things here, as there seems to be fairy tales going round with this thread.

I still do not believe you whatsoever. Do backpackers travelling in south east asia also have to have a thai bank book to apply for a dble entry tv in this circumstance? I doubt your words very much. I will send a pm to Lopburi3 who I am sure will clarify things here, as there seems to be fairy tales going round with this thread.

No one will have a definitive answer for you . Not even Lopburi.

Why don`t you give the Embassy a ring and ask them yourself.

Embassy Laos

No one will have a definitive answer for you . Not even Lopburi.

Why don`t you give the Embassy a ring and ask them yourself.

Embassy Laos

thanks for the link, will call them today and let everyone here know of the answer to this. Cheers mate.

Best DSG

They will give you a single without any problems. Backpackers should only need a single.

Call them and ask about what they will need for a double, then come and let everyone know. You seem very sure of yourself, for someone who has only been doing 30 day runs and never had a tourist visa before. Come grovelling back when you are sure of the facts. I am only telling you what happened from personal experience 3 days ago.

Edited by Norrad

I'm with you on that one. If you read the entire thread that Norrad was kind enough to link, there's only one person on there talking about needing an account to get a double entry TV...and he was saying that he was told that 800,000 was necessary. I questioned this (along with others) and he never responded.

I'm sure he was confusing a TV with a retirement non-O which requires 800,000 on a Thai bank account.

In that thread there were 2 people who mentioned they had received double-entry TV's from Vientiane. Neither of them mentioned anything about having to show a Thai bank account.

Let's keep this thread alive and see if anyone can verify Norrad's story.

Edited by tropo

They will give you a single without any problems. Backpackers should only need a single.

Call them and ask about what they will need for a double, then come and let everyone know. You seem very sure of yourself, for someone who has only been doing 30 day runs and never had a tourist visa before. Come grovelling back when you are sure of the facts. I am only telling you what happened from personal experience 3 days ago.

Backpackers also like to apply for double entries also, but I will call them and find out the info, just to put the likes of you correct, and also I AM sure of myself (well, according to my gf) and no your wrong again, read the original post I stated that I have had a Non B for 15 months. Listen up, I appreciate your feedback here, I will find the real info and put you wrong.

DSG

I'm with you on that one. If you read the entire thread that Norrad was kind enough to link, there's only one person on there talking about needing an account to get a double entry TV...and he was saying that he was told that 800,000 was necessary. I questioned this (along with others) and he never responded.

I'm sure he was confusing a TV with a retirement non-O which requires 800,000 on a Thai bank account.

In that thread there were 2 people who mentioned they had received double-entry TV's from Vientiane. Neither of them mentioned anything about having to show a Thai bank account.

Let's keep this thread alive and see if anyone can verify Norrad's story.

Agreed. This is a subject which I feel many members here will benefit through knowing the correct details, and I will report back with my experiences as and when. I appreciate everyones input above, just want to make sure of the facts (as they stand at present) to assist myself and others and put something back into thaivisa.com, as many people have helped me out no end here.

Best

DSG

I personally heard the lady at the counter tell him, that to get a double, he must show a "Thai Bank Book". He asked her if he could get a statement from his foreign bank account and show all his credit cards, but she wouldn't budge. On a plus side she didn't mention anything about having large funds in the Thai account.

Didn't the Thai embassy in Vientiane ask for a 6-digit amount (hope they don't read here and get ideas...) in the past? So, how much would they like to see as a bank balance? 40,000 baht for double entry enough (= 4X amount tourists are required to show by law)?

Also, I'm considering to take my g/f with me when going there. What are the Laos visa regulations for Thais again?

I look forward to your reply from the Embassy designersing. Also looking forward to the 100 Baht you were willing to bet. :o

Thais can enter Laos without a visa, they don't even need a passport as they can get a border pass. I took my girlfriend with me when I went earlier this week.

I look forward to your reply from the Embassy designersing. Also looking forward to the 100 Baht you were willing to bet. :o

Thais can enter Laos without a visa, they don't even need a passport as they can get a border pass. I took my girlfriend with me when I went earlier this week.

Norrad, well I did'nt receive any answer from them as I couldnt get through! Maybe I owe you that 100b already lol! Tell you what, would you settle for two bia chaang instead?!

DSG

Not true. A bank book has not been asked for by the people I know who have got double-entry visas recently in Vientiane. I would say howver, it would'nt be bad idea to have one with you.

Cheers, Norrad.

Norrad, how many days was your girlfriend allowed to enter for? I'm planning on taking mine next week.

Norrad, how many days was your girlfriend allowed to enter for? I'm planning on taking mine next week.

She was given a 30 day stamp. But she used her passport, I think border passes are good for a few days. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Bangkokgas, I'm just reporting what I saw. It was on monday, my friend was french and was maybe not the best dressed person there. But I personally heard the lady in the office ask him to show a "Thai Bank Book" for the double. Wouldn't budge when he offered to show a bank statement from his Farang bank.

She was given a 30 day stamp. But she used her passport, I think border passes are good for a few days. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Nope that's correct - 30 days for a passport, upto 3 days with a border pass.

Nope that's correct - 30 days for a passport, upto 3 days with a border pass.

With a passport, and that goes for the Falang as well as for his lady, you can definitely count on 30 days. We have done it and could prove this.

Hi there, anyone know the price of the two TR visa? I have searched and have noted the following, please can anyone confirm this is up to date pricing info:

Visa on arrival for Laos (30 days) 1500b (35usd)

Single entry TR1 tourist visa 1000b

Dble entry TR2 tourist visa 2000b

points to possibly note, mondays can be a difficult day to obtain a double, also they may ask your for a thai bank book, also you need a photocopy of your passport (phot) page, 2 x passport photos and the cash and the filled in form, phew! A tourist visa is valid for 60 days and can be extended 30 days at the nearest Immigration office. Fee 1,900 Baht (as per 2003-08-26).

Im guessing this is all correct above! oops! EDIT! Do I need to show any form of onward travel ticket at the Thai Embassy in Laos?

Thanks for your help!

DSG

Edited by designersing

Previous reports have said the two entry is seldom issued on Monday so another piece may fit the puzzle.

I asked for a double entry tr visa last monday, and was rejected by the people taking the money.

Didn't say anything about why or any mention of any bankbook.