New Supermarket To Be Built On Koh Phangan?

A few weeks back large signs were put up all around Koh Phangan, these large white signs with red Thai writing said "Phangan people against Tesco Lotus" or words to that effect.

One of my staff had been to the Amphur the following day and someone there had said that the local Phangan government had agreed in principle to allow Tesco Lotus to be built on Phangan island. a number of people have also told me that there is a questionnaire flying around resorts and the like asking what the local people want?

Does anyone know anymore?

Personally I think that it is great news for Phangan island and I for one will welcome it with open arms!!

What do you think?

:o

A few weeks back large signs were put up all around Koh Phangan, these large white signs with red Thai writing said "Phangan people against Tesco Lotus" or words to that effect.

One of my staff had been to the Amphur the following day and someone there had said that the local Phangan government had agreed in principle to allow Tesco Lotus to be built on Phangan island. a number of people have also told me that there is a questionnaire flying around resorts and the like asking what the local people want?

Does anyone know anymore?

Personally I think that it is great news for Phangan island and I for one will welcome it with open arms!!

What do you think?

:o

if tesco are coming theres nothing the locals can do to stop it ,just ask the samui locals ,tried to stop them ,not a chance ,it will make living there much easier and cheaper ,as it has in samui ........

The word from local shop owners is that Tesco is planing on building in the (now almost) vacant lot opposite Thongsala's Muay Thai fighting stadium, 100m on the right from Thongsala's main road T-intersection along the inland road to Haad Yao.

jose '-)

For sure that would be an ideal spot, someone had said to us that they would use the land next to the Songserm pier, behind the taxi "station", which surely would be a bad spot, rising seas and several hundred party goers daily waiting for the Songerm!!

Nobody I've talked to has heard a word about it being next to the Songserm pier.

In other news, my staff heard on Phangan Radio that the new Mayor has negotiated getting the Seatrans Car ferry to start running to Samui after the New Year. Now this is not the first time I've heard this story but it is the first time its made it to the radio. Keep your fingers crossed :o

There are 3 signs that I have seen that translate to Koh Phangan people do not want Tesco lotus. The sign on the Chaloklum road was defaced the other day, someone cut out the part that says "not" :o

My impression is that there are an organized group of shopowners who oppose it, but that the majority of locals do want it. I've never seen a questionnaire however. My understanding is that the ok has already been given by the local govt.

personally i can't wait til tesco lotus comes, and i don't think it will keep me from shopping in the regular markets occasionally too (as they have their charm)... it's just so convenient to have everything all in one place. any word on whether it will have a movie theater in it?

personally i can't wait til tesco lotus comes, and i don't think it will keep me from shopping in the regular markets occasionally too (as they have their charm)... it's just so convenient to have everything all in one place. any word on whether it will have a movie theater in it?

I was having that discussion just today with my wife, and we came to the conclusion that we probably would stop shopping everywhere else, like you say, a one stop shop all in one place, and generally speaking Tesco Lotus prices would be lower than most other shops on Phangan.

Many more people have been talking of the now near to vacant 5 rai plot of land opposite the Muay Thai stadium, the wood shop relocated, and now the car garage are clearing out, so it could well be.

With this being Phangan and if it were on a 5 rai plot, I would seriously doubt whether a cinema would be included, more likely to be a Nathon size "Express" but may well come with a mister donut, black canyon coffee house and a KFC.

I heard that Tesco bought that land quite some time ago, it is, I believe, on the road to the hospital just outside Thong Sala.

I suspect it will be a Tesco express as well, but that is fine with me as long as they have Mr Donut :o

• 2 months later...

The latest local gossip is that the land being cleared opposite the Bantai girlie bars is for the coming Tesco shopping development.

I find this strange because the land is owned by the Limpipong family, and Tesco could possibly be the beginning of the end for their lucrative supermarket monopoly in KPG.

jose '-)

last time I talked to the owner of the land I was told that they planned on building shophouses for rent. Last I heard, Tescos had actually bought the land near the Muay Thai stadium so not sure why they would then turn around and build elsewhere. I've also heard that planning permission has not yet been given, despite the rumors going around that it was a done deal. :o Fingers crossed that is just another rumor.

Possible the Tescos will be built there, but highly unlikely given that the last information I had is only a week or so old.

Have to add, I have heard a rumor that they plan on putting another supermarket there but since the owner is the one who told me about the shophouses, and they already have two in Thong Sala, found that one kind of hard to believe. But, plans change so who knows.

Now, if the family would only go into talks with Villa supermarket, now THAT would be an idea!