Alcohol And Cigarette Tax To Be Increased

george

NLA passes bills to increase alcohol, cigarette taxes

BANGKOK: -- The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) Thursday approved in principle four bills that will increase tax on alcohol and cigarettes.

The four draft laws are Excise Tax Bill, Excise Tax Tariff Bill, Tobacco Bill and Liquor Bill.

These bills won the NLA approval with 55 votes, 53 votes, 52 votes and 51 votes respectively.

NLA has established adhoc committees to vet the bills.

-- The Nation 2007-11-22

Taxes have just gone up, don't tell me they are going up again. Strong baht, tourist numbers down, beer prices going up, again ! Not making it any easier to do business here are they ?

Why don't they actually go collect some real taxes, like income tax !

do any thais pay income tax? or is it only us farangs

Taxes have just gone up, don't tell me they are going up again. Strong baht, tourist numbers down, beer prices going up, again ! Not making it any easier to do business here are they ?

By the law they do, it's 0% though if under 10,000THB/month or so.

I remember years ago in the UK reading an article which stated that the taxes collected on cigarette sales did not cover the cost of medical treatment caused by smoking. If the situation is similar here it makes total sense to increase taxes. BTW, I drink and smoke...

Not necessarily good news for non-drinkers and non-smokers. When this means of revenue fails, then they go on to other things and those things tend to affect you as well. Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying they shouldn't do it, it's just that as a tax measure it's not always the best. As a way of cutting down on smoking and drinking it will probably have some affect.

The first affect will be an increase in smuggling. Second will be more homemade hooch available.

Outrageous!!!

Asean was supposed to reduce all alcohol import taxes this year to 5%. This would have paved the way for cheap imported beers from Laos, PI, and Vietnam. hel_l, even Miller bought an old state run milk farm in Vietnam and started converting it to a brewery to take advantage of the new import tax.

Now this? How are high school students going to learn the alcohol related social skills necessary to compete in the global economy? Its a sad day indeed when social and economic progress takes a backseat to the conservative alcohol intolerence movement.

Fetal alcohol children of the world unite to save our dying race.

They don't love their country that much, do they? :o

When you realise just how much the supposed "upper strata" of this country go out of their way to cheat, smuggle, lie, and generally try to move mountains to avoid their dues on tax, it beggars belief. Good job us working stiffs don't eh? :D

Up, up and up they go!

Bring on the hooch, moonshine and backy I tell you!

If they raise taxes any higher we might as well start rolling our own cigarettes!

With any luck the new government in December will scrap a lot of these silly tax hikes.

The more Thailand messes with stuff like this the more the surrounding nations rub their hands in glee :o

Edited by JimsKnight

Archa now 27 baht a bottle!!, not sure if thats to do with the tax increase. Our Soi shop lady says its to do with higher transportation costs. Possibly as Derv is now over 29 baht a litre. & before I get the 'how can you drink that stuff brigade answers'.

I like it!

BANGKOK: -- The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) Thursday approved in principle four bills that will increase tax on alcohol and cigarettes.

-- The Nation 2007-11-22

Purely from a point of self interest .... what does this do to the price of a 700 ml bottle of Sang Som ??

-- The Nation 2007-11-22

Purely from a point of self interest .... what does this do to the price of a 700 ml bottle of Sang Som ??

my fags went up 30b a carton today ,still under a pound :o