Thaksin And 30 Members Of His Cabinet Indicted

sriracha john

I would like to have a session with those people and ask them why they are doing this.

Why they only think about enriching themselves and family members and friends as well.

I really do not understand them.

I only hope those people will get convicted and will set an example so the Thai people will understand.

Thailand can be a much better place when those corrupted evil people are taken out of any political program.

To hel_l with them.

Because the system allows them to do so, it s flawed, corrupt, filled with willing and crooked officials to help you realize your crimes and they like it that way.

Hi- so or not, nothing but criminals taking advantage of a system that favors criminals in many ways.

Some countries have problems separating church and state but in Thailand s case, it's mafia and state.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone is surprised at the silent coup and in fact analysts have been commenting on it for several months, particularly the judiciary keeping the PPP government in check or even dismantling it.T

The judiciary is simply doing its job, you've been obviously reading the wrong analysts.

The silent coup I refer to is installing outsiders in the key positions in the government. It might not be a coup per se - it's not like Samak has got any alternatives, PPP is not exactly a fountain of talent.

Noppadon would have been forced out even without court decision, economic team is in the hands of amateurs and Surapongs still insists on staying put. Chalerm has nothing to with courts either. Judiciary has very little to do with purging the government of these incompetents.

I've just read that Purachai is one of the defendants in lottery case, his appointment to the cabinet would be inappropriate.

Let's see who gets the Interior now. Could be that pest Chaya, than the coup theory would go out of the window.

I don't think anyone is surprised at the silent coup and in fact analysts have been commenting on it for several months, particularly the judiciary keeping the PPP government in check or even dismantling it.T

The judiciary is simply doing its job, you've been obviously reading the wrong analysts.

The silent coup I refer to is installing outsiders in the key positions in the government. It might not be a coup per se - it's not like Samak has got any alternatives, PPP is not exactly a fountain of talent.

Noppadon would have been forced out even without court decision, economic team is in the hands of amateurs and Surapongs still insists on staying put. Chalerm has nothing to with courts either. Judiciary has very little to do with purging the government of these incompetents.

We will have to disagree.The silent coup, the junta and its backers having failed to rig the general election (see the Human Rights Watch report), has been the subject of much discussion over several months and the use of the courts is an integral part of it.It's not actually inconsistent to recognise this reality and at the same time agree your comments about the PPP paucity of talent.The key concern on the part of those who back the silent coup is to crush Thaksin once and for all and to silence the Thai majority who voted for him,the motivation of course being to preserve their vested interests.

Incidentally on a point of detail if anyone can let me know that the lottery corruption charges are other than a trumped joke I'd genuinely be grateful to hear the case.I am open to persuasion but the facts as I understand them support the "silent coup" theory.

The judiciary will do their job. Lest we forget what their job is, it is to administer the law, and weigh up the evidence from all sides, before making judgement. However, as has been seen before, the prosecution case has been mishandled, or poorly presented. In such cases, it is very difficult to prove conclusively that there is guilt. Putting people i the dock doiesn't mean too much in Thailand, as can be seen from the number of Cabinet members who are "on appeal"

Well, there's a Lottery Law in this country and two-three digit lottery is breaking it. It's that simple. It might be joke, let's have a good laugh about it: "I mean - Laws? Who cares! Ha ha ha".

Then there's a case of 15 billion baht of misused profits from illegally set up lottery. Let's have a laugh about it too : "Nearly half a billion dollars, too. Small change. A joke".

By "silent coup" I didn't mean long term agenda of purging Thaksin and his legacy, I meant taking over the country while PPP can still pretend it's formally in charge.

I think it's the first time Younghusband openly expressed his stance on the issue of Thaksin - lots of votes elevate him above the law and applying the law is considered a coup against the voice of the majority.

...the silent coup is to crush Thaksin once and for all and to silence the Thai majority who voted for him...

Well, there's a Lottery Law in this country and two-three digit lottery is breaking it. It's that simple. It might be joke, let's have a good laugh about it: "I mean - Laws? Who cares! Ha ha ha".

Then there's a case of 15 billion baht of misused profits from illegally set up lottery. Let's have a laugh about it too : "Nearly half a billion dollars, too. Small change. A joke".

By "silent coup" I didn't mean long term agenda of purging Thaksin and his legacy, I meant taking over the country while PPP can still pretend it's formally in charge.

I think it's the first time Younghusband openly expressed his stance on the issue of Thaksin - lots of votes elevate him above the law and applying the law is considered a coup against the voice of the majority.

...the silent coup is to crush Thaksin once and for all and to silence the Thai majority who voted for him...

Interesting idea. Do you think it is really happening? The choice of new foreign minister and deputy PM on security seem to be unexpected.

In theory, this lottery made a lot of sense, but of course there is no place for embezzlement of profits and in this instance there certainly was opportunity for it. Still, I haven't seen anything in print about who took the profits. I would be very interested if there was. Can you point me to it?

I don't think I can, certainly not off the top of my head. It's a five year old issue, it's all been archived and documented, you can run a search here on TV yourself, if you want to.

As far as I remember the money hasn't gone missing, only unlawfully spent, like on political campaigning or something like that.

Basically the government "legalised" the illegal lottery, except legalising means passing it into a law, not just ordering vendors to sell tickets and collect profits. And, according to the existing law, the money cannot be spent at will.

Surapong is quoted as saying it was "morally" right. Maybe it was, but the government is not some kind of Robin Hood, and there were plenty of allegations that the money went to serve TRT's political purposes, too, apart from scholarships.

Let's wait for a detailed write up about the case, both BP and the Nation must be working on it already, we are not the only ones with failing memories.

Interesting idea. Do you think it is really happening? The choice of new foreign minister and deputy PM on security seem to be unexpected.

It ll take a while but in some years you won t find a soul who will admit to having voted for Thaksin, his cronies and the TRT Cult of Crime.

Thailand high court takes corruption case against ex-PM Thaksin, cabinet ministers

The Supreme Court of Thailand Monday agreed to hear a new corruption case against ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and 47 others, including three current cabinet members.

The case involves allegations of misconduct related to the national lottery system, and names Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee, Labor Minister Uraiwan Thienthong and Deputy Transport Minister Anurak Jureemas as defendants.

The status of the serving ministers under Thai law is in dispute; at a meeting Tuesday, the Cabinet asked the government's legal experts to look into the issue and make recommendations rather than suspend the ministers outright, as some experts say is required under the constitution.

Earlier this month, the Thai Attorney General's Office filed other corruption charges against Thaksin relating to a 2003 resolution that reduced fees paid by mobile phone companies to state telecommunications agencies. A company then owned by Thaksin's family saw the greatest benefit from the new payment scheme, leading to claims that Thaksin misused his authority for personal gain.

Thaksin is currently the subject of 24 legal actions. :D :D :o

- Jurist Legal News and Research / 29-07-08

Edited by sriracha john

Finance and Foreign are top grade "A" ministries, Interior is important domestically but internationally it's Finance and Foreign all the way, and PPP has lost them to outsiders (pending Virabongsa's entry).

The coup would have been comlete if outsiders took over Interior as well and left only scraps like Transport to feed hungry MPs.

I wonder how it will work out, Samak will have to double check everything he says with Tej, and government "policies" need to be run by Virabongsa who doesn't suffer fools gladly.

According to Korn in yesterday's BP, the government delayed mega projects and spent 150 billion on various handouts instead. That's four years of education for every Thai or investment two extra mass transit lines.

Virabongsa would either have to carry on with this trend and face growing critisism from people he used to slug off, or face the wrath of PPP.

Lottery case ministers 'buying time'

Senators are set to petition the Constitution Court to rule whether the three ministers linked to the two-and-three digit lottery case breached codes of ethics for politicians by refusing to step down from the Cabinet. The move came after the three ministers _ Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee, Labour Minister Uraiwan Thienthong and Deputy Transport Minister Anurak Jureemat _ said they will continue their work, despite the Supreme Court's decision to accept a lawsuit against them. In line with the spirit of the anti-corruption law, they had been expected to stop working. However, they decided to ask the Council of State if they must step down. Until further recommendations are made, the ministers have insisted they will continue with their duties. Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn said a group of Senators will meet today to decide whether to take the issue to the Constitution Court. He said the three ministers should relinquish their posts rather than seeking to buy time by asking the Council of State, the government's legal adviser, for its interpretation. PM's Office Minister Chusak Sirinil said the Cabinet is referring the case to the Council of State.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/300708_News/30Jul2008_news10.php

Finance and Foreign are top grade "A" ministries, Interior is important domestically but internationally it's Finance and Foreign all the way, and PPP has lost them to outsiders (pending Virabongsa's entry).

The coup would have been comlete if outsiders took over Interior as well and left only scraps like Transport to feed hungry MPs.

I wonder how it will work out, Samak will have to double check everything he says with Tej, and government "policies" need to be run by Virabongsa who doesn't suffer fools gladly.

According to Korn in yesterday's BP, the government delayed mega projects and spent 150 billion on various handouts instead. That's four years of education for every Thai or investment two extra mass transit lines.

Virabongsa would either have to carry on with this trend and face growing critisism from people he used to slug off, or face the wrath of PPP.

So the Chidchob army gets the trough of big money ministries while the appointemnts from above get the internationally seen positions. We will see I guess. interesting idea.

I am sure if such a scenario does pan out you can count Samak in with the appointments from above and conclude he has flipped to the other side. He is well connected on that side.

Im not quite sure how willing Thaksin will be to go along with all this either and he still exerts a lot of control over PPP both in terms of financial clout and the popularity to deliver a large number of seats so without his agreement can it work and what incentive will he be given to not scupper it.

Anyway not long to wait. ASfter the cabinet reshuffle we should be able to see what is happening.

Lottery case ministers 'buying time'

Senators are set to petition the Constitution Court to rule whether the three ministers linked to the two-and-three digit lottery case breached codes of ethics for politicians by refusing to step down from the Cabinet. The move came after the three ministers _ Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee, Labour Minister Uraiwan Thienthong and Deputy Transport Minister Anurak Jureemat _ said they will continue their work, despite the Supreme Court's decision to accept a lawsuit against them. In line with the spirit of the anti-corruption law, they had been expected to stop working. However, they decided to ask the Council of State if they must step down. Until further recommendations are made, the ministers have insisted they will continue with their duties. Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn said a group of Senators will meet today to decide whether to take the issue to the Constitution Court. He said the three ministers should relinquish their posts rather than seeking to buy time by asking the Council of State, the government's legal adviser, for its interpretation. PM's Office Minister Chusak Sirinil said the Cabinet is referring the case to the Council of State.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/300708_News/30Jul2008_news10.php

Maybe they just wanna hang on till they can shake W's hand and get that nice little photo op

Two Senators asked NCCC to probe Surapong, Uraiwan, Anurak

Two Senators Tuesday petitioned the National Counter Corruption Commission to launch an inquiry whether the three Cabinet members should be suspended after being involved in the graft trial on the lottery case.

"The Supreme Court has already ruled to commence trial and under the anti-graft law, the three should face job suspension, but this has not happened," Senator Sumon Sutawiriyawat said.

Sumon and her colleague Warin Thiemcharas co-sponsored the petition.

Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee, Labour Minister Uraiwan Thienthong and Deputy Transport Minister Anurak Jureemas are among the 47 defendants standing trial.

- The Nation

So the Chidchob army gets the trough of big money ministries while the appointemnts from above get the internationally seen positions. We will see I guess. interesting idea.

The only visible link here is Tej, no one knows who approached him first, but he's definitely not Newin's boy. I doubt Newin had anyone in mind for that postion anyway - he is not interested in his international image and has no ambitions in that area.

Virabongsa is a more complicated case. He's been approached by PPP before, maybe this time he just worked out a deal to keep his private business and manage government policies at the same time.

Is he PPP's front man in economics? I doubt so, he just happens to be in agreement with Surapong's pro-growth policies, or maybe he is even their source. No one knows how his advisory position work out with politicians like Chaya, he'd be ok as long as he sticks to macro-economy and ignores shenanigans run by Commerce. It's not an immediate concern as he'll be busy with taking over Bank of Thailand for a while.

Last week he looked like a man appointed from the outside, this week he appears to have his own agenda, and a dangerous one, I don't think it's an "approved" mission.

Finance Minister to be charged in lottery case

BANGKOK - Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee and two other ministers will be charged on March 10 at the Supreme Court in relation to the 2 and 3 digit lottery case.

A total of 47 people including three current ministers as well as ministers in the previous government of Thaksin Shinawatra will be charged with malfeasance.

The three ministers also served in the Thaksin government.

1-2.gif

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee

Rather than appropriately resigning his post, the indicted Finance Minister charged over the lottery case is still "playing against the odds"...

Deputy Finance Minister Pradit Phattharapradit disclosed that Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee designated him responsible for the Government’s online lottery program.

- ThaiNews / Aug. 7, 2008

let's see if Surapong can swallow this one too...

Senator scrutinising MPs' investments

Appointed senator Ruangkrai Leekitwattana said yesterday that he was scrutinizing a number of government politicians, including Deputy Premier and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee, over their investments and wealth.

Ruangkrai told a press conference that he and 18 other Senators had written to Senate Speaker Prasopsuk Boondet requesting a Constitution Court ruling whether Surapong and his wife were over the legal limit on shareholdings. He noted that Surapong's wife had interests in 10 legal entities.

Ruangkrai said he would also look into the financial reports filed by government politicians Nattawut Saikua, Jakrapob Penkair, Jatuporn Phromphan, and Veera Musigapong, who each hold shares worth 10 Million Baht in Puean Phong Nong Phi, the company which produces a pro-government program on the state-run NBT channel.

Ruangkrai said he was investigating the source of funds for those investments and seeking information from the Department of Revenue about the investors' tax records.

He will also look into the financial report of People Power Party MP Worawat Uaapinyakul, who is Deputy Chairman of the House committee deliberating the 2009 Budget Bill. In his financial report filed with the National Counter Corruption Commission, Ruangkrai says, the MP mentions that he lent more than 4 Million Baht to 104 people.

The Senator said he would try to find out whether such loans were lawful, as it was illegal for an individual to offer loans like a commercial bank.

- The Nation

Just one trial

Only one of the criminal cases against former PM Thaksin Shinawatra will proceed in his absence while he is a fugitive abroad, a source at the Supreme Court said Wednesday. Under the rules governing the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions, defendants must be present at the first hearing, where they must formally acknowledge the proceedings after hearing the court read out the charges. Of the cases against Thaksin, who on Monday skipped bail and announced he was staying in London, only the Ratchadaphisek land case will proceed, and a verdict be issued, if Thaksin does not return to Thailand, the source said. "So if he does not appear in court at the first hearing after the court accepts a lawsuit against him, that case would be suspended. The court may also issue a warrant for his arrest," said the source. Deputy Attorney-General Waiyawut Lortrakul said yesterday a planned civil lawsuit to seek the confiscation of 76 billion baht of Thaksin's assets will not be halted. The case can proceed in their absence and they can appoint lawyers to attend the trial on their behalf. Mr Waiyawut said the lawsuit will be filed as soon as it is approved by Attorney-General Chaikasem Nitisiri. The House Committee on Finance, Banking and Financial Institutes has been informed the Attorney-General is considering seizing Thaksin's assets. The only way for Thaksin to have the assets returned is to attend court.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=129594

PAD calls for suspension of Cabinet ministers

The People's Alliance for Democracy yesterday asked the Supreme Administrative Court to suspend three ministers from work pending the digit lottery trial. Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee, Labour Minister Uraiwan Thienthong and Deputy Transport Minister Anurak Jureemart are among the 47 defendants in the two- and three-digit lottery case, which was launched by the ousted Thaksin administration. The court accepted the case brought forward by nine PAD members, including its coordinator Suriyasai Katasila, but has not decided whether to hold an emergency trial as requested. Besides the trio's suspension, the PAD asked the court to freeze cabinet resolutions made on 40 issues on July 29 and on 35 others on Aug 5, until a judgement is made in the lottery case. The PAD reasoned that the three should not have attended the two cabinet meetings after the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions on July 28 accepted a lawsuit against them for links to the lotto scheme. They have been barred from working by the Public Administration Act and the charter since then, said the PAD. Still, the three ministers have refused to step down, saying the legal circumstances are unclear. Surapong argued that the allegation was made against him in his capacity as ICT Minister in the Thaksin administration. He now holds a different post. PAD lawyer Suwat Apaipak said the Cabinet asking its legal arm, the Council of State, to conclude whether the three should step down was just a tactic to buy time. The legal adviser had no power to decide, he said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/140808_News/14Aug2008_news06.php

1-2.gif

Injunction hearing on three Cabinet members scheduled for Monday

The Supreme Administrative Court will on Monday convene a hearing on whether to issue an injunction to suspend the three Cabinent members involved in the lottery case.

The hearing is to begin at 1 pm.

The People's Alliance for Democracy on Wednesday petitioned for the suspension of Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee, Labour Minister Uraiwan Thienthong, and Deputy Transport Minister Anurak Jureemas on grounds that the three were being tried for graft charges.

- The Nation / Aug. 15, 2008

Administrative Court to probe 3 ministers in lottery fraud case

The Administrative Court will hold an emergency session to review the charges launched by the People's Alliance for Democracy against 3 ministers of the Samak Sundaravej Cabinet. The activist group said the 3 ministers should have stepped down when the Supreme Court proceeded to investigate their alleged involvement in the lottery fraud case.

The lawyer representing the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, announced that the Administrative Court is set to review the charges that the PAD filed against the 3 ministers who were accused of being involved in the lottery fraud case.

The three are Deputy Premier Surapong Suebwonglee, Labor Minister Uraiwan Tientong, and Deputy Transport Minister Anurak Jureemas.

Earlier this month, the Supreme Court proceeded with investigating the alleged involvement of the 3 ministers in the lottery fraud case.

According to the National Counter Corruption Committee's protocol, any state official whose case is in the Supreme Court must discontinue their work. However, the cabinet asked the Office of the Juridical Council to exempt the 3 and allow them to work until the trial commences.

The PAD asked the Administrative Court to suspend the 3 ministers until the trial is over.

- Thailand Outlook / 16 August 2008

Hearing on plea to suspend ministers in lottery case today

The Supreme Administrative Court will today hear a petition calling for the suspension of three Cabinet members involved in the lottery case.

The hearing begins at 1pm.

The People's Alliance for Democracy last week sought the suspension of Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee, Labour Minister Uraiwan Thienthong, and Deputy Transport Minister Anurak Jureemas on the grounds that they were being tried for graft.

- The Nation / August 18, 2008

We will have to disagree.The silent coup, the junta and its backers having failed to rig the general election (see the Human Rights Watch report), has been the subject of much discussion over several months and the use of the courts is an integral part of it.It's not actually inconsistent to recognise this reality and at the same time agree your comments about the PPP paucity of talent.The key concern on the part of those who back the silent coup is to crush Thaksin once and for all and to silence the Thai majority who voted for him,the motivation of course being to preserve their vested interests.

Incidentally on a point of detail if anyone can let me know that the lottery corruption charges are other than a trumped joke I'd genuinely be grateful to hear the case.I am open to persuasion but the facts as I understand them support the "silent coup" theory.

No response on the latter point which is disappointing as I am genuinely puzzled.Of course there seems to have been a technical breach of law but as far as I can see no corrupt intent, a wish to improve government revenues and address illegal activities.What have I missed (I can't really believe the charges are so thin) or is my instinct right that this is just a trumped up charge?Before somebody jumps in to say the law cannot be ignored I fully agree, even to the extent that the courts should rule on the matter.But the penalties are so preposterously out of kilter with the alleged offence that it's not surprising most dispassionate observers query the impartiality of the judicial process.Fortunately for the silent coup makers, it seems at this point unlikely there will be a forum for razor sharp British QCs to put this charge in a sensible context.

Finance Minister to be charged in lottery case

BANGKOK - Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee and two other ministers will be charged on March 10 at the Supreme Court in relation to the 2 and 3 digit lottery case.

A total of 47 people including three current ministers as well as ministers in the previous government of Thaksin Shinawatra will be charged with malfeasance.

The three ministers also served in the Thaksin government.

1-2.gif

Rather than appropriately resigning his post, the indicted Finance Minister charged over the lottery case is still "playing against the odds"...

Deputy Finance Minister Pradit Phattharapradit disclosed that Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee designated him responsible for the Government’s online lottery program.

- ThaiNews / Aug. 7, 2008

What the hel_l is that thing in Surapong's mouth?

Hearing on plea to suspend ministers in lottery case today

The Supreme Administrative Court will today hear a petition calling for the suspension of three Cabinet members involved in the lottery case.

The hearing begins at 1pm.

The People's Alliance for Democracy last week sought the suspension of Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee, Labour Minister Uraiwan Thienthong, and Deputy Transport Minister Anurak Jureemas on the grounds that they were being tried for graft.

- The Nation / August 18, 2008

For whatever reason...by the lack of any report of its results, apparently this did not happen yesterday.

===========================================================================

1-2.gif

What the hel_l is that thing in Surapong's mouth?

Deep-throating a roll of honesty wrapped with a red band of integrity? :o

but anyway, here's a link to the Thai newspaper Naewna article about it...

http://www.kanmuang.org/forum/data/1/0211-1.html

Edited by sriracha john

Perhaps today is the day...

Administrative Court to reveal if 3 ministers in lottery case must cease duty

The Administrative Court today is set to reveal its decision to People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) Attorney Suwat Apaisak who requested an injunction be placed on 3 ministers involved in the 2-3 digit lottery case, by sending the decision in a sealed document to Mr. Suwat's home.

Mr. Suwat requested that the three ministers be suspended from active duty until the case is finalized.

The ministers, including Minister of Finance Surapong Suebwonglee, Minister of Labor Uraiwan Thienthong and Minister of Commerce Anurak Jureemas this morning are still attending the Cabinet meeting as usual, but have revealed that they are ready to cease work if the Administrative Court orders it.

ThaiNews / 19 Aug. 2008