Handing Down A Computer To A Family Member

Goinghomesoon

Sorry if this are basic questions, I'm not particularly computer literate.

We are handing on current laptop to a younger family member for use at school. Have deleted all unwanted files and photos as well as unused programs and ones that won't be needed. Are there any other things we should do to clean up the system before we give it away?

Also the laptop needs some keys fixed and a general physical cleanup. I would just walk into Pantip Plaza and find any store but if anyone has recommendations of someone who can translate computereze into plain English that would be great.

Edited by Goinghomesoon

Have deleted all unwanted files and photos

Deleting files and photos doesn't help at all - there is a lot of software on the market to recover deleted files. Unless you are 100 % sure there has never been anything you absolutely want to keep secret, change the hard disk. Simply formatting is not good enough. Be aware that every website you ever visited on that PC, might have left a trace on your pc (did you delete all cookies ?, did you delete all the stored passwords ? Temporary files ? ) The only safe thing is to physically destroy your hard disk, which also is not easy to do (asking the local elephant to step on it will not work :o )

He did not mention a concern for privacy only for the computer to work well without needless software/files. His deletions will help and a reformat/fresh install will provide a better running computer. If he is concerned about KGB activities the destroy hard drive comes into play but in most cases there are security write overs that would do a good enough job. In either case better he have someone do rather than try himself as they may be special software or drivers involved getting it running right again.

You are right - those hard drives do not go easily. :o

Really depends who the younger family member is - but a reinstall is not always the best option for a notebook - fine for a generic desktop - but really tricky for notebooks, so Lopburi's essentially right - if you go down the format route, have someone experienced take care of it.

Of course, the other option is to buy a new hard disk for the notebook - and keep the old one as a backup in the new computer.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the responses. I ran a few cleansing programs and then trotted off to Pantip to a laptop place colleagues recommended, IT House 604/3 Pantip Plaza. They cleaned the insides of disgusting amounts of cat hair (gotta stop the kitten sitting on the keyboard), put in another keyboard and reloaded the operating system and software for just over 2000 baht. Okay I probably got ripped off but picture me, the expat lady plonking down a laptop full of cat-hair and asking them to do something about it. The cat molt alone probably doubled the price :o

Anyway, said laptop is now working five times faster than before and I'm ruing the fact that I offered to give it away, but young family member is ecstatic. Now I get to buy us a new computer, whoopee. Thanks guys.