Tea Houses (for Tea)

ollylama

Chiang Mai is awash with coffeehouses, but what about places that specialize in tea? There used to be a great place over on Nimmanhaemin but it went out of business. I think most people have no problem paying 60 baht for a coffee but balk at paying more than 20 baht for tea. But are there any sit down places which specialize in exotic teas? Or even shops that sell exotic (japanese roasted rice tea, chinese pu-erh, jiaogulan, etc) teas?

Chiang Mai is awash with coffeehouses, but what about places that specialize in tea? There used to be a great place over on Nimmanhaemin but it went out of business. I think most people have no problem paying 60 baht for a coffee but balk at paying more than 20 baht for tea. But are there any sit down places which specialize in exotic teas? Or even shops that sell exotic (japanese roasted rice tea, chinese pu-erh, jiaogulan, etc) teas?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=128082

For atmosphere, I like the one on Tha Phae road, mentioned in the above post. For selection of teas, I like the one on the east side of the river. It is north of Riverside, close to the foot bridge.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=128082

For atmosphere, I like the one on Tha Phae road, mentioned in the above post. For selection of teas, I like the one on the east side of the river. It is north of Riverside, close to the foot bridge.

Personally I think places like Starbucks and Grand Canyon are 'a plague on our houses'. Coffee at 60,80,100 Baht and people craving for it is quite baffling - why not bring back opium dens if addiction is so rampant. Tea houses won't take off here because Americans who are the main consumers of these coffee places, can't stand tea or understand how to drink various teas.

What I would like is a place where I can buy western black teas for making at home. I can find several shops selling green tea but there is not much of a market here for western teas. Rimping supermarket sells Twinning English Breakfast in tins. They also have Prince of Wales and Earl Grey. What I would really like is good quality Orange Pekoe or Irish Breakfast. Anyone know where please let me know, I ran out of the Irish last week and having to use Lipton tea bags is not a good way to start the day.

CB

Tea houses won't take off here because Americans who are the main consumers of these coffee places, can't stand tea or understand how to drink various teas.

Many Americans enjoy tea, but most prefer coffee. I used to like tea better as a child, but, as an adult, I need the extra boost provided by coffee. :o

Tea houses won't take off here because Americans who are the main consumers of these coffee places, can't stand tea or understand how to drink various teas.

Many Americans enjoy tea, but most prefer coffee. I used to like tea better as a child, but, as an adult, I need the extra boost provided by coffee. :D

I bow to your knowledge as an American. However, I have been there many times and can't say I've come across many American friends that actually drink it or restaurants that can make it properly. It's usually a source of merryment ("time for tea old chap") with the people I know. I have taken various teas with me for my friends, but usually they insist on having it with cream and sugar.

I fully understand your need for a 'boost' :o

When opium dens were banned in Thailand, most of the same establishments were instantly converted to "Tea Houses" (Rong nam cha). They were pretty seedy and there are not many around anymore, but you could get a cup of chinese tea with a happy ending.

When opium dens were banned in Thailand, most of the same establishments were instantly converted to "Tea Houses" (Rong nam cha). They were pretty seedy and there are not many around anymore, but you could get a cup of chinese tea with a happy ending.

tell me more , where in chiag mai can you get a cup of tea with a happy ending lol. on a serious side i have just finished 2 months in chiang mai and the one think i mssed while there was a good cup of tea. all the supermarkets i went into, the tea selection was poor and the one's i bought were not to good. i be going back next year so i like to know is there anywhere in town that sell good quality tea?

Many Americans enjoy tea, but most prefer coffee. I used to like tea better as a child, but, as an adult, I need the extra boost provided by coffee. :o

I never drank coffee when I was in the states, always tea. I had an assortment of probably twenty different imported teas to choose from at my house. Anywhere from Earl Grey, Orange Pekoe and many others. Sometimes with sugar (never cream), or honey or even a touch of squeezed lemon juice. Only started drinking coffee after I got married here in Thailand.

Many Americans enjoy tea, but most prefer coffee. I used to like tea better as a child, but, as an adult, I need the extra boost provided by coffee. :D

I bow to your knowledge as an American. However, I have been there many times and can't say I've come across many American friends that actually drink it or restaurants that can make it properly. It's usually a source of merryment ("time for tea old chap") with the people I know. I have taken various teas with me for my friends, but usually they insist on having it with cream and sugar.

It's true that most Americans prefer coffee over tea, however that's true of most continental Europeans as well. And when Americans drink tea they almost never add milk, and rarely sugar either.

Not sure where you get your ideas about Americans uptheos. Is it just me or do you seem to harbor a certain disdain for those of yank persuasion? And your comment "Tea houses won't take off here because Americans who are the main consumers of these coffee places, can't stand tea or understand how to drink various teas" seems a bit wide of the mark. The coffee houses in Chiang Mai that sell expensive coffee are packed to the gills with young Thais. And aside from Starbucks, they're all domestic Thai brands. I fail to see how this is the fault of Americans. But then, I guess nowadays everything is the fault of Americans, innit?

I've been accused of being American, by the way, and I'm the one who started this thread. I love tea and could make you a mean cup of pu-erh if you like.

Cheers (literally! my cuppa is raised.)

It's true that most Americans prefer coffee over tea, however that's true of most continental Europeans as well. And when Americans drink tea they almost never add milk, and rarely sugar either.

Not sure where you get your ideas about Americans uptheos. Is it just me or do you seem to harbor a certain disdain for those of yank persuasion? And your comment "Tea houses won't take off here because Americans who are the main consumers of these coffee places, can't stand tea or understand how to drink various teas" seems a bit wide of the mark. The coffee houses in Chiang Mai that sell expensive coffee are packed to the gills with young Thais. And aside from Starbucks, they're all domestic Thai brands. I fail to see how this is the fault of Americans. But then, I guess nowadays everything is the fault of Americans, innit?

I've been accused of being American, by the way, and I'm the one who started this thread. I love tea and could make you a mean cup of pu-erh if you like.

Cheers (literally! my cuppa is raised.)

It's you, I certainly don't harbour feelings of disdain for Americans otherwise I wouldn't be visiting friends there and sharing jokes about drinking tea - lighten up. Obviously you and I have been in different places in USA, why can't I say I haven't seen much tea drinking going on during my time there, if I haven't?

sorry, my bad. the way in which you stated your case sounded to my eyes like something else. big apologies. just curious - where did you see americans drinking tea with milk? in my experience they tend to be surprised by the very idea of putting milk in tea, and see it as an exotic british thing to do. but i haven't traveled very much in the states so i could be biased.

sorry, my bad. the way in which you stated your case sounded to my eyes like something else. big apologies. just curious - where did you see americans drinking tea with milk? in my experience they tend to be surprised by the very idea of putting milk in tea, and see it as an exotic british thing to do. but i haven't traveled very much in the states so i could be biased.

No problem :D I've seen American's drink tea with milk (even Earl Grey) in various locations, mainly on the east coast. But maybe we should just conclude that people can drink tea how they like........tea, with lemon, in a bone china cup with pinkie finger out :o

I stopped by that Pink Place across the street from Wat Gate today. They have quite an amazing selection of tea, but it seemed quite expensive to me. On the order of 500 baht for 50 grams. Looks like a good place for high tea, right on the river. Probably nothing compared with the Chedi but not too shabby and probably more affordable.

I really want to get my hands on some of that jasmine green tea which comes rolled in little balls (sometimes called dragon pearls or gunpowder tea i think). You can get it at Doi Mae Salong but I haven't seen it in stores either in Chiang Mai nor Chiang Rai. Has anyone seen any for sale anywhere?

Not sure where you get your ideas about Americans uptheos. Is it just me or do you seem to harbor a certain disdain for those of yank persuasion?

I know uptheos pretty well and he not anti-American. We all have our prejudices and his seems to be concerning Americans enjoying and knowing about tea. That is not so bad (and he is probably mostly right anyway).

Actually, he is quite intelligent and quite a nice person. You should see his reading list!

When it comes to prejudices I have to admit that - other than p1p and his Easy Diner - I've never met anyone, but an American who could make really good burgers. I had no doubt that once Mike sold his place to a Brit, it was destined to go down the drain and it's starting to look like I was right! :o

tell me more , where in chiag mai can you get a cup of tea with a happy ending lol. on a serious side i have just finished 2 months in chiang mai and the one think i mssed while there was a good cup of tea. all the supermarkets i went into, the tea selection was poor and the one's i bought were not to good. i be going back next year so i like to know is there anywhere in town that sell good quality tea?

Im returning to Chiang Mai next week from UK. PG Tips anyone?!?! :o

Obviously being British, is washed down with a drop of milk and 1 sugar.

What I would like is a place where I can buy western black teas for making at home. I can find several shops selling green tea but there is not much of a market here for western teas. Rimping supermarket sells Twinning English Breakfast in tins. They also have Prince of Wales and Earl Grey. What I would really like is good quality Orange Pekoe or Irish Breakfast. Anyone know where please let me know, I ran out of the Irish last week and having to use Lipton tea bags is not a good way to start the day.

CB

This is one of the few things I purchase from Tops. Look out for Dilmah teas from Ceylon. They have an excellent high grown Orange Pekoe in leaf or tea bags. You need to care for it and brew it properly and it is delicious.

Apart from Tops, the teas from Marks and Spencer in Kad Suan Kaew are also good. They recently had a "Buy one - get one free" promotion that made their teas very good value.

The Olde Bell pub on Loi Kroh rd has a good range of teas- everything from a pot of rosie lee with unlimited refills, through English Breakfast and Taylor's of Harrrogate Yorkshire tea, to Mulberry and Chinese Aster, to Peppermint and Camomile, Ginseng and high grade Oolong tea.....should be enough to satisfy most tastes. They also have recent English and European newspapers, the latest lonely Planet guides, Readers digest and National Geographic. They play Eastern and Western classical music alternately during the day - a great atmosphere for chilling out over a cuppa....phew, sounds like an advert, but I do like it there!

I used to buy the Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Tea from Rimping supermarket, but they have not had it stocked for a while now, I have asked for it and was told it was to be ordered again, but there is no sign of it. I then went down to the small supermkt on Nimeneheamen(sorry about the spelling), Rd. and bought the last 2 big boxes from there. Now I'm running out.

Edited by mickmac

Ollyrama - Interesting idea, it seems to beg the question "Is there a 'The Tea Boy, Tea for Men'?" in town. Would be the perfect foil to The Coffee Boy.... for any entrepreneur out there. So, is this a writing oriented thing or do you just wanna find a place to hang and get your cup-a-tea on? I have a friend by the way who exports hi-end tea and some blends (I believe) who has a shop out at the Dhara Devi there on the right where all the little shops and the CHinese restaurant are. Maybe worth a look.

Don't understand why nobody voices any support for the delicious local loose leaves you can buy in the markets like Kad Luang. Delicious stuff, have gone with local dark and local green. Both have a couple different grades depending what you wanna put out for it. I do mine chef style, brew about 4 liters in a big pot, strain, mix in local honey, store in fridge during hot season and always have a cool glass of tea ready when the time is right. Keeps for a couple weeks, though I usually drink it all faster than that. Not exactly the British way, but then, I'm not exactly a Brit. I also bring my own flavored teas from the US, and then add about a bag or two to get the aroma in the batch when I want to mix it up a bit. Black Orange pekoe is beautiful hot or cold. Done the same with an apple spice blend. I'm proud of my own brews. Everyone who has tried has loved them. I say get creative with what we have locally -including the honey, wild and farmed.

Not sure where you get your ideas about Americans uptheos. Is it just me or do you seem to harbor a certain disdain for those of yank persuasion?

I know uptheos pretty well and he not anti-American. We all have our prejudices and his seems to be concerning Americans enjoying and knowing about tea. That is not so bad (and he is probably mostly right anyway).

Actually, he is quite intelligent and quite a nice person. You should see his reading list!

When it comes to prejudices I have to admit that - other than p1p and his Easy Diner - I've never met anyone, but an American who could make really good burgers. I had no doubt that once Mike sold his place to a Brit, it was destined to go down the drain and it's starting to look like I was right! :D

Thanks UG and do keep an eye out for that list. :o I hope I can now write without everything I say being taken as a personal attack.

I have looked back through a lot of postings and it almost feels like I'm on some people's hit list or not an 'accepted member of the club'.

I used to buy the Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Tea from Rimping supermarket, but they have not had it stocked for a while now, I have asked for it and was told it was to be ordered again, but there is no sign of it. I then went down to the small supermkt on Nimeneheamen(sorry about the spelling), Rd. and bought the last 2 big boxes from there. Now I'm running out.

The Taylor's Yorkshire is a great tea - full bodied and excellent with breakfast with a chunk of toast. I also asked about that tea at the Rimping (next to the river) and they told me that it wasn't going to be reordered :o

I will try Marks and Spencer at KSG for a tin of Assam, some Orange Pekoe, and a couple of packs of Dilmar.

thanks all

CB

• 3 weeks later...

I must admit to have taken tea on a number of occasions on my visits in the foyer area at the Dun 2 wan...usually around 4-00 pm...of course.

Rather good selection and served up in the correct manner ..white porc. T pot..heated first with silver strainer.. for the leaves and all dispensed in china cups..or therabouts.

Lemon is also available for the discerning as well as fresh cold milk...in a jug.

Also fine selection of cakes if one would wish to induldge and chef is happy to do cucumber sandwiches on request... :o

On the other hand the Red L does a decent strong brew (in a Mug) of Rosie and in the heat of the CM afternoon serves to be most satisfying and refreshing... :D ...could almost stand yer spoon up in it....