Tea Houses (for Tea)

ollylama

Oolong Tea made in Mae Salong (Chiang Rai) is rolled into something that resembles pellets. The reason for rolling tea leaves is to break up the cells before drying and storage. When you make tea, the contents of the rolled tea leaves infuses rapidly in the piping hot water.

Kind of expensive at about 1,600 baht per kilo for Oolong tea. But I believe it's worth it - because it has such a fantastic aroma.

I stopped by that Pink Place across the street from Wat Gate today. They have quite an amazing selection of tea, but it seemed quite expensive to me. On the order of 500 baht for 50 grams. Looks like a good place for high tea, right on the river. Probably nothing compared with the Chedi but not too shabby and probably more affordable.

I really want to get my hands on some of that jasmine green tea which comes rolled in little balls (sometimes called dragon pearls or gunpowder tea i think). You can get it at Doi Mae Salong but I haven't seen it in stores either in Chiang Mai nor Chiang Rai. Has anyone seen any for sale anywhere?

Just heard from some tea-sipping hippie friends of mine that they have a lovely cup o' over at a place called Din Dii (Good Earth/ Land in Thai) located... so far as I understand it... on the CMU campus right outside the arts exhibition hall/ museum. It's supposedly a small shack style restaurant in the corner right by the gated corner at Suthep and Nimmnhmn. There's supposed to be a variety of gourmet bagged n loose teas and then she also makes some really great cookies too.... she learned how to make them in the US or from a US friend. Sorry details are fuzzy... either the story or me memory... or both. There's some weird kind of cookies/ biscuits she makes by special request also...something like black pepper n tea, or sweet sesame n pepper.. again the memory... someone told me a couple wks ago n I forgot to post. Anyone who hunts down Din Dii, let us know the verdict... the recommendation was highly positive like it was a best kept secret.

Marks and Spencers does carry some nice tea. Kenyan, Assam blends if not mistaken. But i also love Tata Tea and Brooke Bonds from India. Amazingly rich flavor. Cameron Highlands Boh Tea is also good and available at Rimpings. Don't go for the Boh's Fruit flavored teas.

A good cup of tea, totally essential for breakfast and evenings :o