Setting Up Linksys Router

cmsally

I have a Linksys Wireless/Broadband router WRT54G

which I am trying to set up. In fact I tried it once before and it caused me so much stress that I put it in the cupboard and forgot about it.

Not a problem, as I have 2 internet services and enough for our use.

But now have friends coming to stay and know they will bring at least one laptop, so thought I should make the effort to get Wireless set up for them to use.

So tried again and still no luck. I think the modem and router are using the same IP address but having problems connecting with the router on my computer whether through modem or not, so not much luck changing the settings.

Tried to change the modems IP but TT&T never gave me the password for the free modem that came with their service so no luck there.

Thought about going out tomorrow to get a new modem and start from there.

So any ideas for good modems that work with this kind of router and any set up tips for this kind of router? Please !!!

It's not that difficult really, IF your ISP router and your Linksys do use the same IP address, and you don't have access to the ISP router, just change the IP of the linksys. It has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1 or something similar (This is described in the manual, otherwise look it up at linksys.com). Disconnect one PC from the ISP router and hook it up the linksys, (which should otherwise be disconnected from the network), then go to the default IP address, using the default admin password (again look at your manual) and change the linksys to 192.168.1.2 or something that will work for your network.

I have the same unit and have never been able to get it to work. I realize this does not help but at least you will know you are not the only one with that piece of crap.

OK makes me feel better :D except everyone else tells me how easy it is! :o

It's not that difficult really, IF your ISP router and your Linksys do use the same IP address, and you don't have access to the ISP router, just change the IP of the linksys. It has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1 or something similar (This is described in the manual, otherwise look it up at linksys.com). Disconnect one PC from the ISP router and hook it up the linksys, (which should otherwise be disconnected from the network), then go to the default IP address, using the default admin password (again look at your manual) and change the linksys to 192.168.1.2 or something that will work for your network.

Herein lies a major problem in that most of the time I can't pull up the admin page, it won't connect.

For some strange reason I got it to appear and accessed it once last night. Tried to change the IP address but said it couldn't save the settings as something on my computer already used that address. Since then I can't even get the admin page to appear, just says can't connect to that page.

Access your modem/(router). Set up your modem up as "bridge" instead of PPoE. Reset your WRT for 30 seconds. Connect you WRT to one of the LAN ports of your modem. Connect your computer to the WRT. Open you browser and type 192.168.1.1 In the setup menu choose "type of function" PPoE. Set your login and password and settings same as in your old modem.

It should work.

If you still have some trouble report them back or follow the link below and search around.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Good luck.

Petch01

I've got a similar setup. One problem I had was by default both my modem and wireless router were trying to use the same private network 192.168 causing routing problems.

Step by step here's how I set myself up.

1) Connect your PC directly (using an Ethernet cable) to the modem and log into its web admin

2) Change its internal IP address (LAN) to 10.0.0.1

3) Make sure its DHCP starting address is set to 10.0.0.2

4) Save

5) Cycle the power on the modem, and when it comes back up ...

6) Go into the network properties on your computer and, assuming you've set it to use DHCP ensure that it does indeed get a 10.0.0.X address. You may need to physically unplug and plug back in the network cable to force it to acquire a new IP address.

7) Remove the PC's connection to the modem, and connect your wireless router via Ethernet to your modem

8) Fingers crossed, it may all start working at this point. Check for wireless networks in range and see if you can connect.

I'm assuming at this point you're connected wirelessly to your router. If you cannot, then you've got a problem.

9) Again, assuming your PC's networking is configured to automatically pick up an IP address from your wireless router, check that you're on the 192.168 network.

10) Try accessing the outside world, www.google.com, www.thaivisa.com etc.

11) If you still can't get out then you need to go into the wireless routers web admin and check its picked up an ip address from the modem (presumably 10.0.0.2 or 10.0.0.3). If it hasn’t, make sure its not using a static IP address for the interface connected to the modem. If it is set it to use DHCP. Check the routers wireless interface network settings and ensure its IP address is 192.168.1.1. Make sure its handing out DHCP address 192.168.1.X.

12) I would probably reboot everything at this point.

13) If you're still having problems you can PM me.

Good luck

I just bought a wrt54gl, seems to be working as i can connect to it wired and wireless, but did not try it on the adsl as it is not yet connected by tot.

Problem is that there were no cd's in the box and i cannot find the setup programs to download on the linksys site, just the manual. Do I really need these cd's? or will it work without any installationcd's? What is GPLcode on the downloadpage of linsys?

Rigel (newbee)

I just bought a wrt54gl, seems to be working as i can connect to it wired and wireless, but did not try it on the adsl as it is not yet connected by tot.

Problem is that there were no cd's in the box and i cannot find the setup programs to download on the linksys site, just the manual. Do I really need these cd's? or will it work without any installationcd's? What is GPLcode on the downloadpage of linsys?

Rigel (newbee)

Congratulations with your choice. It's an excellent router.

You don't need any cd's for setting up the WRT54GL. There aren't any cd's setup programmes provided with the WRT. The firmware is loaded and that's all you need to set up the WRT.

GPL means General Public License. In this case it means that you can change the firmware of your WRT with one of the several non-Linksys firmwares such as Tomato, DD-WRT, Hyper-WRT etc. Why should you that? In case you want the special abilities of those kinds of firmware which Linksys firmware can't offer.

Follow the link to find out more: http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/

Petch01

Edited by Petch01

when I first got my true adsl, I received a simple adsl modem with it. but then, I wanted to be able to have wireless capability if I needed it. so, I just disconnected my adsl modem, and installed my linksys adsl wireless router.

you don't need to have both installed.

when I first setup my true adsl, I had to use their adsl modem and the true software to define my true ID and password. but after doing that, I switched my adsl modem out and replaced it with my linksys adsl wireless router.

you need the true ID and password when configuring the linksys adsl wireless router.

working like a charm. don't even use the true software anymore either.

I have a Linksys WRT54G V5 wireless router. I was going to say some good things about it because I never had any problems with it. I will now hold those good words. I hooked it up today and it won't power up, as in no lights at all. I rarely used it anyways so no great loss. It hasn't been plugged in for several months so as far as I know, not much could have happened. Whatever the reason, it is DEAD! I checked the power supply and there is 12.4 volts coming to the unit. JUNK! The reset doesn't help either.

Access your modem/(router). Set up your modem up as "bridge" instead of PPoE. Reset your WRT for 30 seconds. Connect you WRT to one of the LAN ports of your modem. Connect your computer to the WRT. Open you browser and type 192.168.1.1 In the setup menu choose "type of function" PPoE. Set your login and password and settings same as in your old modem.

I recommend doing this as well.

Your problem is that you just connected computer, linksys, and TOT modem together. By default, both TOT modem and the linksys want to be DHCP servers - they both want to decide what IP addresses new machines on the network get. They also by default have the same IP address so you can't really access them. Therefore before you go to set up each machine to work nicely with the other, you need to disconnect them from each other. Then, you go and connect the computer to the TOT modem first, then to the linksys, and adjust the settings as above. Don't connect the linksys to the TOT router before they are set up....

I recommend doing this as well.

Your problem is that you just connected computer, linksys, and TOT modem together. By default, both TOT modem and the linksys want to be DHCP servers - they both want to decide what IP addresses new machines on the network get. They also by default have the same IP address so you can't really access them. Therefore before you go to set up each machine to work nicely with the other, you need to disconnect them from each other. Then, you go and connect the computer to the TOT modem first, then to the linksys, and adjust the settings as above. Don't connect the linksys to the TOT router before they are set up....

OK I think I will try this first, looks slightly easier. Just to be sure , it is the modem (as in TT&T modem) that I am setting up as a bridge, is that correct?

Presumably after I have done this and joined everything up, 192.168.1.1 will get me into accessing the router (linksys). In which case how do I access the modem (TT&T) if I want to change the settings again.

Thank you. :o

No one talk about how to start to configure an Router Modem!

First Step: Do NOT connect the Router Modem to the phone line!

Second Step: Connect the Router Modem directly to an computer not via an Switch with an other Router Modem online!

Third Step: Use XP, Vista or an other OS but NOT an Server OS for to access the Firmware Program for the Router Modem!

Fourth Step: Configure the Router Modem and Reboot after config

Now you can connect the Router Modem to the Network and Phone Line to test it works!

Don't forget NOT to use the same IP for the 2 different Router Modems!

I recently bought a Linksys WAG200G wireless router and had a few problems getting the darn thing set up correctly. Luckily the shop I bought it from (Platworth in Phantip Plaza) gave me a toll free number for Linksys support. I was on the phone for about 45 minutes (to America) being coached through a fault finding process that left everything working perfectly. It has been working 24/7 without a problem ever since. Excellent customer care!

There is also an email address for support: [email protected]

I hope this helps.

Sahprite

when I first got my true adsl, I received a simple adsl modem with it. but then, I wanted to be able to have wireless capability if I needed it. so, I just disconnected my adsl modem, and installed my linksys adsl wireless router.

when I first setup my true adsl, I had to use their adsl modem and the true software to define my true ID and password. but after doing that, I switched my adsl modem out and replaced it with my linksys adsl wireless router.

you need the true ID and password when configuring the linksys adsl wireless router.

I thought the wrt54g is only a router without a modem so you still have to use the isp's modem.

Or do you have a wrt with build-in modem?

I thought the wrt54g is only a router without a modem so you still have to use the isp's modem.

Or do you have a wrt with build-in modem?

You are right , it is only a router, does not have inbuilt modem. So you need a modem to work along with it, hence the problem of conflicting IP addresses

I have a Linksys WRT54G V5 wireless router. I was going to say some good things about it because I never had any problems with it. I will now hold those good words. I hooked it up today and it won't power up, as in no lights at all. I rarely used it anyways so no great loss. It hasn't been plugged in for several months so as far as I know, not much could have happened. Whatever the reason, it is DEAD! I checked the power supply and there is 12.4 volts coming to the unit. JUNK! The reset doesn't help either.

I have a confession to make. My Linksys router had a 110 volt power block. I had a 240 volt power block that puts out the same 12 volts. The output plug was different between the two so I cut the wires and reconnected the proper plug to the 240 volt block. I had no idea that polarity made a difference. I took the wires back apart, reversed them and the router iit up and works fine. Reversing the mains plug makes no difference.

I have Ipstar Internet. I plug the jack from the Ipstar modem into the router, put a hard wire to my desktop and use my laptop with wireless. Everything still works great. I'll probably keep using it now since I don't have to use the transformer with this 240 volt power block.

• 2 months later...