Appying For The New E-passport

Hi - My wifes passport will expire Feb 2008, so I should start looking into getting her a replacement...

Has anyone here had any experience with the whole process - and if so please advise, how much, how fast, how, how, how etc

is it true that my wife will be able to carry her old passport to show her ILR status, as I have heard that to have this stamp transfered to a new passport would incure some ridiculous financial punishment.

the other option would be to make a postal application for an extension of her existing passport and get a new one next time we're in Thailand...

your thoughts please

Edited by rio666uk

Your wife will have to make an appointment with the Thai Embassy in London, she must apply in person as she will have her face and fingerprints digitally photographed for the biometric passport.

She can download the forms which she needs to take together with her ID card and old passport. The whole process takes about 6 weeks and they can return the passport to your home by special delivery mail. Cost is £25 + Special delivery charges

No postal applications are accepted for Thai passports both overseas or in Thailand. Since the introduction of Biometric passports they can no longer be extended for a further 5 years. The life of the Thai passport is now only 5 years.

She can apply in person for a new passport if she is in Thailand before the expiry of her current passport, it takes about 3 days if she collects it herself.

Once she has a new passport she can simply carry both old and new passports when she travels as the ILR remains valid in the old passport. If she wishes she can have it transferred to the new passport at a cost of, I believe, £140

Edited by Mahout Angrit

No postal applications are accepted for Thai passports both overseas or in Thailand.

See also Extension of Thai Passport (Non-Electronic Passport): Application Instructions for Thai Citizens over 20 years of age

cheers guys - ill get an extension to her current passport by post, and then we can worry about a replacement on our next trip to thailand....

i would think there's a possibility that we'll be back before 2010 :o

Edited by rio666uk