'why Blame Other Drivers'

asiaworld

I've noticed a lot of complaints here, maily aimed @ Fortuners ( for no obvious reason,me thinks>yes they are bigger, maybe block the view, but thats IT)..

Now my grief IS the motorbikes.. How many times have you felt frustration, when out of nowhere, they manuver in kamikadze manner, right in front of you, as if challenging you to run over them.. Or you sit helpless in the traffic jam, & they are out to try to scratch your sides :D .. Now i may add , we in Bkk are still somewhat lucky>>NEWSFlash, Thais are Not the worst>>Malaysian bikers, are absolute champions, in trying to destroy themselves,& everything around, them..Waay more fristrating to drive there. So anyone dares to suggest.. What could possibly be done for keeping motorbikes in their right>left:) lanes, where they belong, & thus keep your car scratch free :o

To be honest, I have had more incidents than I care to remember with Fortuners. More when compared with bikes too. So OP, don't think, as there are obvious reasons, and compelling ones too.

Bikers do not presume that vehicular size equates to right of way no matter who is in the way! A trend one only sees with Fortuners.....especially the black ones!

Could you change the title of your post to "Why blame bikers?" instead of the current redundant one?

The obvious (?) reason is that once someone says Fortuner every timer one makes a mistake it is regarded as "further proof"....it's the same as when you get an unusual vehicle and then notice how many other people have one too.

BTW - they're smaller than a 4wd pick-up

Trying to keep motorbikes in the lanes they belong is not very fair because so many buses, taxis and tuk tuks are parked in those lanes. They (bikers) try to abide by the law, but it really is more dangerous than being out in the 'fast' lanes. Even a Sonic or Nouvo will exceed EVERY speed limit in this fine land, so why not allow them to ride out in lanes 3 and 4? I appreciate that driving a car on a tollway or larger road is easier when bikes aren't allowed, but on the wide city roads they should be allowed where they like.

Now i may add , we in Bkk are still somewhat lucky>>NEWSFlash, Thais are Not the worst>>Malaysian bikers, are absolute champions, in trying to destroy themselves,& everything around, them..Waay more fristrating to drive there.

Have eeeeye got nooooooooooo's for you!

Try Viet Nam, not only have they got zero point zero ounces of common sense but there's about ten times as many of them. The only nutters on bikes in Malaysia are the Mat Rempits which are motorcycle racing gangs that come out and race each other performing daring stunts on the wide highways at night. Apart from the noise nuisance factor, if you happen to live near a racing road, they are mainly only a danger to themselves as they do their stuff usually in the early hours of the morning.

Why should motocyclists be condemmed to driving on the potholed and obstructed left hand side of the road just so you guys in your cars have a nice clear highway? :o

btw I don't ride a motorcycle.

I do ride a motorbike (rather grand to call it a motorbike as its a honda wave) and also drive a car, though not at the same time! :o

When on my motorbike i happily pay the BIB a couple hundred baht every few weeks when i get pulled over for being in the wrong lanes, as i avoid the dangerous inside lane like the plague.

When driving the car i try to position my car in such a way as to minimise possible impacts from motorcycles. Pull over to the left side of the lane to block their way through while leaving a wide open space on the right side for them to get through. Its just a bit of thought that will save you many scratches. Basically, create a path for them to get through, leaving them plenty of room to do so. Its not possible ALL the time, but it sure is 90% of it.

Having said that, waiting on Soi 39 this morning in my new car and a dam_n motorcycle came down the middle with a pillion passanger. She managed to hook her umbrella handle over my nice shiny wing mirror! I was not a happy cookie, but at least no damage done and i had indeed forgotten my basic rule to leave them a clear path. So half my fault then.

Even a Sonic or Nouvo will exceed EVERY speed limit in this fine land, so why not allow them to ride out in lanes 3 and 4...

I don't know what Sonics and Nouvos are, but Thai motorcycles can't keep with the city traffic, forget highways. They cruising speed is around 60 or even 40km/h if in lower gear.

They have no place in the fast lane where people often drive at twice their maximum speed, it's a recipe for disaster.

Even a Sonic or Nouvo will exceed EVERY speed limit in this fine land, so why not allow them to ride out in lanes 3 and 4...

I don't know what Sonics and Nouvos are, but Thai motorcycles can't keep with the city traffic, forget highways. They cruising speed is around 60 or even 40km/h if in lower gear.

They have no place in the fast lane where people often drive at twice their maximum speed, it's a recipe for disaster.

Hello :o

Now THAT is about the best piece of B.S. i have seen so far......... I have yet to see a car that drives twice the max speed of my bike (a Thai-made Yamaha RXZ, which is NOT a "big bike"), in Bangkok! That car would have to go 320 KM/h.

I have ridden (correct spelling?) a 100% stock Honda Wave 100 in Chiang Mai (which seems to have a very short final transmission, designed for hauling the whole family up the mountains) and it maxes out at 85 KM/h with the engine seemingly revving at 20.000 rpm by the sound of it. Here in Bangkok the same Wave 100's go 110-120 KM/h easily - it just depends what sprockets are mounted on them. With mine RXZ i go 140 KM/h still comfortable at 8.500 rpm (yes it's a two-stroke) and if need be, i can pull it to 160. Honda Sonic is a little racer that can do 130-140 as well, depending on final transmission.

A friend of mine owns a Yamaha Nouvo automatic and up to a 120 KM/h he actually accelerates slightly faster than me, but then i catch him. His bike is stock. And another friend has a Honda "Click" automatic (which has only 100cc as well) and it too breaks a 100 KM/h very easily, being completely stock.

My personal opinion is - if all those people that drive senseless huge cars (be honest with yourself - do you NEED two tons of steel and a 3 liter engine to get to the closest 7-Eleven?) would ride motorbikes, three things would happen:

1) No more traffic jams (which are caused by thousands of solo drivers in large cars)

2) MUCH fewer accidents (as most accidents are motorbike vs. car, regardless who's at fault!)

3) a lot less pollution - me and my BF go to work together on 10 liters of gas a WEEK, with the car it would be 10 liters per DAY!

I do have a car too, which is almost only used to go up-country or to go out on weekends. During the week i use the motorbike ONLY, i have yet to scratch the first side of a car (and i have done well over 25.000 kilometers of Bangkok traffic so far).

Best regards.....

Thanh

Well nice to see all the replies, Well Thanh-Bkk have you ever thought , what'll happen to you, if you hit something on the speed you're trying to 'get rid of yourself on your bike'.. i had bike entering my car in KL, because they forget about the brakes & surroundings, when they drive.(haven't driven in VietNam yet :o) . He took off my mirror,side. fell down, & was groweling, even thou he was going about 40-50km/h & it was side impact.. Now when i drive, i wouldn't like to hit anything, be it Fortuner, or biker !>but c'mon given a choice, Fortuner would be much safer target for both occupants

.. is that every time i imagine the wanke_r on the bike loosing control & flying under my car, it's easy to imagine how deep sh&*T i'd be in.. Guess who'll be blamed for medical & whatever..

Edited by asiaworld

Hi :o

This is why i drive the way i learned to drive - in my home country, where "getting a driving license" takes three months and costs 60.000 Baht! I have tried hard to "get rid of myself on a bike" but so far in some 350.000 kilometers it hasn't worked - for some reason i can't explain i am always confronted with functioning brakes and for some other stupid reason i always have my eyes on the road and know when to slow down BEFORE the car in front of me does so.... i don't like to brag about it but i dare say i drive safer at 160 KM/h in a narrow soi than Somchai at 60 KM/h on a four-lane highway.

If you are one of those people that are constantly afraid of "that biker losing control" because they need to concentrate on their cell phone conversations during driving their car or, worse, are watching TV during the same activity then better look out for a speeding black RXZ with a tall rider on it (hint: It's got "Bulldozer" written on it for a reason!) because THAT bike WON'T lose control and may stop beside you at the traffic light to remind you that driving in the middle of two lanes isn't cool even WHEN you use the very latest phone model to discuss things with your stock broker while negotiating Bangkok's roads!

With best regards....

Thanh

PS as you've been in Malaysia - i'm proudly MAT REMPIT despite NOT being Malay, because "Mat Rempit" means nothing more than "Bike Lover". And if i blaze by you some day look on the top of that box on the back of my bulldozer, which says "REMPIT RXZ". Because the RXZ is the most popular "rempit" bike in Malaysia - but that's just a coincidence :D ("rempit" origin = "ramp it", "ramp the throttle").

post-13387-1196275091_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thanh-BKK

PS as you've been in Malaysia - i'm proudly MAT REMPIT despite NOT being Malay, because "Mat Rempit" means nothing more than "Bike Lover". And if i blaze by you some day look on the top of that box on the back of my bulldozer, which says "REMPIT RXZ". Because the RXZ is the most popular "rempit" bike in Malaysia - but that's just a coincidence :D ("rempit" origin = "ramp it", "ramp the throttle").

Not quite sure how you get from "ramp it" ("ramp the throttle") to "Lover" but whatever blows your horn. I'll ask my lady today if I'm a good rempit but as she's Vietnamese I don't expect her to get it. :D

Thanh? Is that your real name because it has a Vietnamese ring to it which would explain your love of mat rempits, or would that more correctly be your rempit of mat rempits.

Anyhow enjoy your life and as long as it don't impact on me personally I don't have a problem with that. :o

Can you say Kawasaki Ninja?

Can you say 280 km/hr at 130 bhp on the rear wheel?

You don't know what motorcycles are!

Not quite sure how you get from "ramp it" ("ramp the throttle") to "Lover" but whatever blows your horn. I'll ask my lady today if I'm a good rempit but as she's Vietnamese I don't expect her to get it. :D

Thanh? Is that your real name because it has a Vietnamese ring to it which would explain your love of mat rempits, or would that more correctly be your rempit of mat rempits.

Anyhow enjoy your life and as long as it don't impact on me personally I don't have a problem with that. :o

Hello :D

Well the word "rempit" comes from "ramp it" (such as "throttle") but in general, people that love their bikes refer to themselves as "Mat Rempit". It's only outsiders who use that word for "illegal racers", it does not MEAN that! It's not a matter of how it's ME getting there, but the Malay folks - i am member in an RXZ riders forum which is based in Singapore but is mainly for Malays, and there it was explained to me. Your wife, being Vietnamese, won't understand it :D For her, it would be "Nguoi Yeu Xe Mai" and here, i've outed myself - wait, not really, i'm born and grown up in Germany and my parents are German too, HOWEVER i've been adopted by a VIETNAMESE family when i was 13 years old (that happened in Germany, i've never seen Viet Nam) but yeah, it yielded me a Vietnamese name (and one that matches perfectly with the place where i live now - altough that wasn't planned 19 years ago, it's "Thai Ngoc Hue Thanh"), the ability to speak Vietnamese and the knowledge that Vietnamese are great people.

Best regards...

Thanh

I know very well what Thai motorcycles are, thank you very much, I'm forced to crawl behind them every morning. I know what their cruising speeds are, it's nowhere near 100km/h.

60km/h is the norm for them, whether in the left or right lane.

They are a major nuisance on two lane roads where you have to squeeze between them and slow cars in the right lane. They are a major nuisance when I'm forced to slow down to their speed when I go to the left lane for my exit from big roads.

You are bragging about your bikes, fine, but don't forget the slow moving contraptions that make 99% of Thai motorcycles.

Once I missed my bus from Phuket and took a motorcycle taxi to catch up with it at the next stop. It was a joke, they are not designed for such speeds, I had to return and take a bus next morning.

Trying to keep motorbikes in the lanes they belong is not very fair because so many buses,

ALLtraffic must drive in the left hand lane except when overtaking. Same for bikes same for cars. I just did the driving test and there is NOTHING in the book which says that bikes must use any particular lane. If someone has a different book please quote the statute.

Unless it is a clapped out 10+ year-old bike or one of those noodle sidecar things, ALL the bikes available today can cruise at 80km/h. My Nouvo is happy at 110km/h all day long. Considering my initial post was about IN THE CITY and not on tollways, I think you'll find that that cruising speed is also the LEGAL LIMIT for all road users.

We should really get back to the OP's original point which is blasting (or not blasting) Fortuner drivers.

Thann,

How's the exhaust performing?

Hi :o

Thanks for asking. Doesn't quite perform as i expected - but i'm happy still! The old one (non-original 3BS type) was without some "stopper" and had lots of top-end power (high rpm's) but little from below. Top speed even with passenger 140-150. But loud as heck and i HATE loud two-strokers :D Also there was this insane power-hole at 5.000 rpm - it wouldn't go higher than that unless it went downhill or i shifted a gear down and gave it full throttle. Once over 5.000 it was a matter of seconds to hit 10.000......

This one has plenty of power from the basement and a very good mid range, yet almost no top end. I still get the same top speed (~160) alone but have to ramp all gears to the max to get there, and with passenger it's pretty much finish at 130. But therefor i can cruise in lower speeds and don't even notice my boyfriend behind me, power-wise - below 5.000 rpm there is no difference between solo or passenger use. Fuel consumption with this one is the same as with the old one. The biggest difference is the sound tough - this one sounds like a gentle buzzing compared with the screaming of the old one :D And i still don't have the fiber in the silencer - trying to find that somewhere. The "power hole" is here almost non-present and it accelerates smoothly, but i think i still need to experiment with the jetting - too lazy for that :D

@2Long

The OP does NOT blast Fortuners in any way, but MOTORBIKES. And i do DEFEND motorbikes for i ride one daily (and my boss drives a Fortuner, and yes, he DOES drive like he owns the road! But still i have no reason to blame a particular type of car for the people that buy and drive them). HOWEVER people like the OP deserve to be forced onto public transport - if yer scared of scratches on yer car, watch out for them there motorbikes will ya? Otherwise get yer'n ole car. And had ya'n motorbike for yerself wun't need to sit in da traffic jam coz traffic jams are made of them there CARS. Hough! :D

@Plus

I have an incredible, once-upon-a-time, don't-miss-it offer for you.... tell me where you travel at what time in the morning and then keep your eyes openthe next few days. You may get to see a Thai motorbike which you will NOT have to crawl behind but which zooms by your rolling roadblock so quick that you can only see a dust cloud :bah: In case you survive the shock of seeing all your prejudices shattered, i can even make a u-turn and repeat the spectacle for the extra kick :bah: Just let me know what car is yours so i will sneak up behind you and blast my horn for you to get some speed going, because ATTENTION, BULLDOZER HOMING IN :o Let's call it "tactical prejudice reversal - because i am constantly annoyed by cars that can't get off the grid even tough the road is free... yet still do you hear me say "oh gosh, Thai cars can only go 60-80?"

But then, to be fair, i DID experience this phenomenon while i stayed in Chiang Mai - there REALLY everybody seems to go 40 KM/h, cars and motorbikes alike. When i took my boyfriend's mum for shopping first time (driving my Volvo) she seemed to be scared - asking my boyfriend he said "yeah because you're going 90". Well, i had two lanes for my direction, 2 kilometers straight road with no obstacles, not a single other car in sight, no motorbikes or buffaloes either.... and if i had been alone in that car it would have been a case of "top speed, sir!". But then... in Chiang Mai the 8-year olds ride the family motorbike to school and granny transports 154 chickens in basket cages on her Honda Dream.... so 40 is acceptable there (i wish to have my RXZ there some day.....)

Best regards.....

Thanh

In the forth gear, at around 2000 rpm and a foot just touching the gas pedal any car or truck here will cruise at around 90km/h. They are designed that way. Motorcycle in a similar condition would do 60. It needs some serious revving up to go 90. That's why 99% of Thai bikers don't bother keeping up with cars and stick to left lanes.

On smaller roads motorcycles cruise at 40km/h, that is a ridiculously slow speed even for city traffic.

Riding in the left lane used to be a law but not anymore, they can ride in anywhere they want.

I finally found what Honda Sonic is - a generic slow crawler, I got stuck behing one today, he was doing 50, about 20m behind the car in front. Then he realised that all the cars in this lane are stopping for exit and tried to squeeze into second lane where traffic moved at a steady 80km/h speed. In the right lane traffic touches 100 on that road, even in the morning.

Hey Thanh, you've 'almost' redeemed yourself in my eyes>>i say almost, because, i drive A Lot, Fast>in town, much faster on intercity highways;) .. Only use handsfree, & haven't mounted TV yet :D .. Actually i do respect those big bikers doing 150km/h++ in the fast lane on the intercity roads, they do use BMWs & likes>>Not Malaysian 'mini' bikes!!

And i DO not see them in city traffic trying to squeeze between 2 cars !!

And probably thats why i DO NOT have anything against Fortuners>>because i'm faster & also they do not block traffic !

Pandu cermat, tidur selamat :o

Are you just plain stupid or do you want to play?

Any Honda Sonic would run circles around you - ANYtime. If you got "stuck behind one" then it was a slow DRIVER but certainly not a slow bike.

Then driving in the left lane is very much still a law here - which is why they stick to the left lane. I got stopped by cops plenty times for NOT driving in the left lane!

My bike (the RXZ) cruises at 90 KM/h at precisely 5.000 rpm (6th gear). Just opening the throttle gets me to 120 rather quickly, and shifting a couple of gears down it gets me there REAL quick! Compared to your car (as long as you don't have a Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini or similar racing car) i get to 120 before you realize what just passed you. Sure cars are designed to go faster at lower rpm's - if you would revv your car's engine as high as i revv mine bike engine, it would disintegrate.... apart from the fact that it CAN'T get that high in first place - got a manual? Drive 200 in highest gear and then shift into first gear - and for a very short moment you will have the rpm's mine RXZ does daily and happily, before your engine will go up with a BANG.

So please do everyone a favour and stop ranting about things of which you clearly have no clue, get yourself a motorbike to find out how fast they go (and i bet you're so scared that you won't drive faster than 25!) and finally look up the traffic laws before posting misleading information.

Best regards......

Thanh

PS look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Sonic excellent info on your "generic slow crawler" :o

You can rant all you want, I know how fast motorcycles go, there are millions of them out there. Just this afternoon I was behind a long line of them, five, to be precise, going at 60km/h in the left lane.

I like what Wikipedia says about Sonic - "top speed 140km/h (estimate)". Obviously no one has seen them go that fast. I haven't.

I also understand that it's faster than the more popular "Wave" or "Click" or "Fino". Those are real turtles.

Sonic has got whooping 13 horse powers. What a monster....

You know nothing, that's a fact.

Yup, 140 KM/h is an estimate for the Sonic, it depends what sprockets are mounted. It could be 120 and still wheely-ing in fifth gear, or could as well be 170. If youy read my other posts, the Sonic is one of few that pulls off the line faster than my RXZ (i'm talking bikes with max. 150 cc here).....

Any Wave here goes 100 easy. So do Fino's and Click's.

And 13 HP is a LOT for a vehicle weighing 100 kilos.....

Have you been to Germany where there is a VERY STRICT speed limit in cities of 50, many places even 30 KM/h? (And it costs a shitload of $$ if you're caught faster than that, and yes, they HAVE radar on every street corner!) Now if you get behind a Ferrari doing 30, i guess you would go on forums and start complaining "Gosh, those German Ferraris are turtles, unbe-freakin-leavable!"

Get a live, mate.... and stop bothering those motorbikes. What do you drive anyway? Let me guess......... Benz? Let's meet for a race :o

Best regards.....

Thanh

To add coal to the fire, im afraid Mr. Plus hasent got a dam_n clue. Those motorcyles (grand words, meaning scooters) ridden at 40 and 50 are capable of well over 120. Im not sure how much more but my Wave 100 max's out at 110cc until im too scared to go further.

Im a BIG bike rider back home but here the wave will do well enough thanx. I bough t a big bike and sold it within 2 months. unable to get through traffic which is the whole point of riding a bike here.

The bikes that fascinate me are the old Kawasake Speeders, i think they are a 125 and are definately 2 stroke. Those buggers must be capable of at least 180km/h and every time i see one they seem to be trying to get to that speed!

Thahn is talking lots of sense, even though hes projected himself as a biased bike nut for those other naysayers to pick him up on it.

PS i much prefer driving one of my cars, but not practical commuting in BKK

I'll be returning to the LOS after a few weeks driving in the beautiful roads of California. To tell the truth, I am looking forward to getting back to Thailand and the driving style there really doesn't bother me the last 10 years in Thailand. I like having a car and driving in Thailand; it's a beautiful country. Best to drive with care and compassion, love and tolerance!

Hello once again.

@Moonfruit

I am definitely a bike nut - biased? Well not sure what exactly you mean, but just to inform you that i don't only ride a wild two stroke two-wheeler but i also have one of those four-wheeled metal boxes :o Nah to be honest, i just have so much more miles under my belt on two wheels that i can't take BS like that presented by "Plus" who has probably never seen one up close and yet gives off comments left and right. In my home country i started riding mopeds when i was 16 and because it was just so much fun i kept going with that - motorbike license i got when i was 20 and by that time i had a good 100.000 kilometers on a large number of mopeds (because i collected them, crazy me owned 23 Zundapp 50cc vehicles and a few others as well) and then i got somewhat larger ones - 175cc Zundapp, 200cc Suzuki, 250cc Honda (my only-ever four stroke!) and because i was working in a second-hand motorbike shop/workshop i got to ride all sorts and sizes - Harley, Suzuki Gamma 250 (WHAT a rocket!), and the mighty Kawasaki GPZ 900 R Turbo.

I got my CAR driving license only when i was 23 (!) because i needed it then - had gotten a job with one-way commute of 60 kilometers and in the winter that became unbearable on the bike - not because of the temperatures but because snow and black-ice meant that i constantly got to work late! So i got myself a 50 HP Volkswagen Polo which kept breaking down - a year later then i got the supercharged version, a Polo G40, with 139 HP. But another year later i quit that job, sold that car and moved to Thailand.

Here i got the car FIRST because my boyfriend was so scared of me getting in THAT traffic on two wheels - however lucky circumstances made me get a bike too, i have it little over two years and so far have done some 26.000 kilometers on it, without a single scratch to ME, the bike or any other traffic participant. I love to drive or ride fast when the road conditions allow it, i had to ride slow long enough (in Germany mopeds are restricted to 50 KM/h) so if i can, i let it fly. In my life i had two accidents, one with a moped (and it would NOT have happened if i had been going faster - police found that i was going 55, the car that hit me from behind 75.....) and the second was due to oil on the road and on a speed-unrestricted 50cc bike at around 120 KM/h, downhill. Totalled the bike but i emerged unhurt.

So i dare say that i have the experience and the knowledge to ride fast... which is why i can't accept someone coming and saying "motorbikes here can not go faster than 60". I offered this guy a show-off and if he can keep up with me i'll pay a beer. If he can't he'll have to publicly announce "Whoah, Thai motorbikes can sure go FAST!". I'll even do it on a Sonic or Wave, if someone borrows me one :D

By the way i ride the bike here for the exact reason that you mentioned - a car is unpractical in Bangkok. My work place is some 26 kilometers from my home, and to get there i must use some of the most congested roads in the whole city (Sukhumvit, Ekkamai, Lad Phrao). I did it ONCE by car - took close to two hours, a nightmare. With the bike it takes me 25 minutes.

Question - did you mean "Kawasaki Speedster"..? I believe that's a sub-type of the GTO, of which there are Speedster, City Sports and Classic. Currently in "Mach 6" version, a 125cc two-stroke with carb inside the gearbox housing and inlet directly into the crank case. I don't know how many horsepowers they have, but they DO pull off the line fast, yet top speed is lower than mine RXZ (they're finish around 140). And unlike "Plus" i actually raced them, there is one particular traffic light on my daily commute where such races take place as the road goes reasonable straight and has four lanes each direction, also there is next to no traffic. The GTO's usually pull ahead at the light and it takes me 200-300 meters to catch up and pass them. But then again - my bike is NOT configured for racing! Xixi i race anyway for the fun alone :D REMPIT!

With best regards.....

Thanh

Those motorcyles (grand words, meaning scooters) ridden at 40 and 50 are capable of well over 120. Im not sure how much more but my Wave 100 max's out at 110cc until im too scared to go further.

Scared at going 120km/h - that sums it up nicely.

This is exactly why motorbikes shouldn't be allowed in the right lane. Do you have any idea how many cars weave in and out of traffic at that speed in the right lanes? Every ten minutes someone will be doing 160. So, please, stay on the left, you have two children, don't you? (I assume you are the guy comparing Thai and UK care prices in the other thread).

Thanh-Bkk, you sound like one of those motorsai nuts who get weeded out by Darwin's law. Just be patient and wait for your turn. "Brave" guys like you die in thousands here trying to pretend that their bikes are big beasts build for speed.

>>>

How to motorbikes go to Suwarnabhumi? They aren't allowed on the motorway, are they?

I drive on that stretch every day and 140km/h is a minimum in the right lane there.