Non-immigrant Multiple Entry Visa, Type O

A few days ago I went to the Thai embassy in Stockholm, Sweden to get my new Non-Imm Mult Entry Visa (Type O; I got the visa because I am married to a Thai woman).

Now, it is my understanding that it should be possible to obtain a work permit in Thailand while having ANY Non-Imm visa (at least Types O and :o, and still, in my visa, it was clearly stated (under REMARKS) the following: "Employment Prohibited".

I have had a Non-Imm Mult (O) visa before, and in that one it only said (under REMARKS) "Extension of Stay Not Permitted". I asked the staff at the embassy about it, and they claimed (after some discussion) that a "new rule" regarding this had been enforced, and that I had to change my visa status (to a Non-Imm B Visa) in Thailand should I want to work there.

- What do you think about this? Is it or is it not possible to get a work permit while having a Non-Imm Mult Entry O Visa?

- If I have to change my visa status in order to obtain a work permit, can I do this in Thailand or do I have to go to a Thai embassy or consulate in a neighbouring country, for example?

Thanks in advance!

chemist

Edited by chemist

Now, it is my understanding that it should be possible to obtain a work permit in Thailand while having ANY Non-Imm visa (at least Types O and :o , and still, in my visa, it was clearly stated (under REMARKS) the following: "Employment Prohibited".

Of course I refer to Types O and B in the text above. Something strange happened when I wrote the original post.

chemist

You do not have to change your visa status. After entering Thailand on your non-O visa you can apply at the labour department for a work permit.

Later, with evidence of minimum 40k monthly family income, you can apply at the immigration office for an annual extension of stay for the reason of living with Thai wife.

--

Maestro

Thank you for your reply, Maestro! :D What you wrote in your post exactly reflects what I thought was the case. I can add that the staff at the embassy didn't really seem to know what they were talking about (which maybe they should when they are working at an embassy, dealing with visa issues...). They asked me, for example, if I planned to apply for a one year extension (based on my marriage; I am 40 years old) while in Thailand. "All you have to do is to show that you have at least 400 k baht in the bank." Say no more... :o

BUT, can't the fact that the words "Employment Prohibited" are written in my visa cause me problems if and when I apply for a work permit?

chemist

...BUT, can't the fact that the words "Employment Prohibited" are written in my visa cause me problems if and when I apply for a work permit?

This won’t be a problem. The visa itself does indeed not permit you to work. You need work permit for that, and after entering on a non-O visa you are allowed to apply for a work permit.

--

Maestro