A Big Thumbs Up For Thaivisa!

dob310870

I just wanted to say thanks to ThaiVisa!! I have been reading and posting on here for quite some time now. Initially, I used the site for help and advice before I took my most recent trip to Thailand.

Since my return I have spent my Sunday afternoon's catching-up on all the happenings. I recently started looking at the employment section and I am pleased to say that I have just been accepted in a position on Koh Samui.

I LEAVE IN 2 WEEKS!!!

I have the position of the bar and restaurant manager in the Emerald Irish bar and restuarant in Bophut. The bar backs out onto the beach, facing Koh Pangyan (spelling?) and looks great from what I have seen of it. It has Europeon style decor, with an obvious Irish influence.

It's got a full sound system and set up for the sporting events.

It would be great to see any Thaivisa members who are in the neighbourhood, so feel free to come in and support me and bring your friends (I want to make a good impression with my bosses)

Maybe we could hold a ThaiVisa knees-up sometime in the future? (I could have a quiet word with the manager - :o )

I would like the ThaiVisa members to give me some feedback of what they look for in a bar. What do you like? What do you hate? What would you like to see in your local bar that is not available at the moment? I want the bar to be appealing to local people as well as tourists. I would love to hear you point of view. I am open to all ideas. Bring them on!!!

Again, I want to give thanks to this forum (and my excellent interview techniques) for me getting this job. Thanks again all those involved.

I will be there from the 13th Decemeber, if you want to pop in and say "Hi".

Mark....

OP are you Irish ? not that you have to be .When i was last in Samui about 3 years ago ,there were only 2 Irish bars that i knew of .Both in Cheweng ,Tropical Murphys and the Irish Times .I stayed in Bophut for 2 nights then ,a nice quiet little village ,or at least it use to be .Good luck with the new job .

Edited by Thaifan2

Here's to aiming high....

what a bar manager ??

good luck to him though...

Whats wrong with being a Bar Manager.?

At least he gets a monthly salary, its not his money going into the bar.

Way to go I reckon

Good luck to him too, hope he does well

Dat'd ud be grand

what a bar manager ??

Way to go I reckon

Dat'd ud be grand

Thanks ThaiPauly.

OP are you Irish ? not that you have to be .When i was last in Samui about 3 years ago ,there were only 2 Irish bars that i knew of .Both in Cheweng ,Tropical Murphys and the Irish Times .I stayed in Bophut for 2 nights then ,a nice quiet little village ,or at least it use to be .Good luck with the new job .

Thaifan2, I am from Liverpool. The bar is fairly new, only been open since April '07. I will have to check the other two bars out, I think.

what a bar manager ??

Way to go I reckon

Dat'd ud be grand

If the OP was your son, and came to you all excited that he was going to be a BAR MANAGER, would your response be the above? Maybe my father taught me to aspire to be more in life, and that is just my problem.

Edited by Dakhar

I just wondered if you have been to Koh Samui before and what research you have done prior to accepting this position.

Oh & BTW Best of Luck.

P.S. The lads in the football forum will be interested in which team you follow. !

Yes, I have been to Koh Samui before, twice, I liked it. I went to Koh Tao too and did my PADI. I have also tried Bangkok for a month and Chiang Mai for 5 months. Of the four places that I would wish to work Samui is my first choice.

I am not sure about the research you are referring to, please tell me.

As regards the football; do you think I would tell you that in an open forum? I am not really a follower, anyway. On match day, though, I intend to show as many matches as I am able to, which means that I have to stay neutral really.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I just wondered if you have been to Koh Samui before and what research you have done prior to accepting this position.

Oh & BTW Best of Luck.

P.S. The lads in the football forum will be interested in which team you follow. !

Yes, I have been to Koh Samui before, twice, I liked it. I went to Koh Tao too and did my PADI. I have also tried Bangkok for a month and Chiang Mai for 5 months. Of the four places that I would wish to work Samui is my first choice.

I am not sure about the research you are referring to, please tell me.

As regards the football; do you think I would tell you that in an open forum? I am not really a follower, anyway. On match day, though, I intend to show as many matches as I am able to, which means that I have to stay neutral really.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I do not think you have to stay neutral if you handle it the correct way - many other guys show their colours and still have a good atmosphere at games.

When a pub is totally one way it can detract from the atmosphere - OK its fine on really big games in say pubs like the Cavern or Red Devils (or whatever its called) but watching games not involving Man U or Liverpool in these type of pubs is crap

Have I just argued both ways????

Anyway good luck

Of which massive company are you the director?

In this country #1 actually. There is only one person in the intire country with my level of academic training in my field. There are only 40 people in Thailand with a Masters degree in my field. I hold a doctorate.

As far as director of a company: My rank is somewhere around #2 in the company. I am pretty much untouchable due to the rareity of my degree in Thailand. It is actually pretty rare in the states too.

The massive company, is the largest in Thailand, in this specific market that we are in. The company has been in exsistance for 20 years now, and employs over 100 people. We are a multi-million dollar company. Currently we have 2 subsidary companies, and developing two more at the moment.

and even then still, my father is still not satisfied.... and neither am I.... yet.

Of which massive company are you the director?

In this country #1 actually. There is only one person in the intire country with my level of academic training in my field. There are only 40 people in Thailand with a Masters degree in my field. I hold a doctorate.

As far as director of a company: My rank is somewhere around #2 in the company. I am pretty much untouchable due to the rareity of my degree in Thailand. It is actually pretty rare in the states too.

The massive company, is the largest in Thailand, in this specific market that we are in. The company has been in exsistance for 20 years now, and employs over 100 people. We are a multi-million dollar company. Currently we have 2 subsidary companies, and developing two more at the moment.

and even then still, my father is still not satisfied.... and neither am I.... yet.

So you are a big fish in a small pond :o

I was warned against doing that at Uni

PS: My father is still not satisfied with what I do - I can remember him and my Auntie going on about the type of job advertised in the Sunday Times as though it was something to aim for - I have had a few at that level so to speak - I think he is secretly proud though although he did ask if my Thai missus spoke French?

Big fish in a small pond. Yes it is all relative. I don't see why a Uni would warn you against such a thing.

Back to the topic. Someone has got to manage a bar, if that floats your boat, and signifies a high level of achievement, then good for you.

Not jealous, I don't like working night hours, or among smoke etc.

Big fish in a small pond. Yes it is all relative. I don't see why a Uni would warn you against such a thing.

Back to the topic. Someone has got to manage a bar, if that floats your boat, and signifies a high level of achievement, then good for you.

Not jealous, I don't like working night hours, or among smoke etc.

It was more along the lines of stretching myself - not going for the smaller thing but reaching out further.

I have worked at very large companioes, small comanie and had my own business - my personal preference if I have to be a salaryman working for someone else is to work for a very large company.

If I was at a small company again I would hope to have equity.

I am the same as you with regards managing a bar - its something that jsut does not appeal - neither does a sales job or many other positions or roles.