Visa Expires Before My Flight Back Home

Hi there!

I'm from Austria (26 years).

My tourist visa (stay for 60 days) expired on 28th of November. I extended the visa for another 30 days, which is valid until 28th of December.

Following Problem: My flight back to Austria is on the 31st of January

What is the best solution to do? Where is the best place to go to get another visa?

Info: i am at koh phi phi from 26th until 31st of december. so that is the time where my visa expires. Should I go abroad before the 26th of December to prolong the visa somehow/somewhere? How do I do it to stay without problems until the 31st of January?

Please help...

thanks,

dukathi

Hi there!

My tourist visa (stay for 60 days) expired on 28th of November. I extended the visa for another 30 days, which is valid until 28th of December.

What is the best solution to do? Where is the best place to go to get another visa?

Info: i am at koh phi phi from 26th until 31st of december. so that is the time where my visa expires. Should I go abroad before the 26th of December to prolong the visa somehow/somewhere? How do I do it to stay without problems until the 31st of January?

Please help...

thanks,

dukathi

You hit the nail on the head. Get yourself across a land border prior to your island trip, have a beer and a smoke, then cross again into Thailand, and hey presto, and at the discression of the immigration officer...you will have a new stamp in your passport giving you legal stay for another 30 days...assuming you have not previously used your quota for these....

Or go to the immigration office looking very smart and smile a lot. Show them your flight ticket and they may give you another 7 days.

Personally I would do a border run in the middle of December and get another 30 days as Gimbo said.

Edited by Lite Beer

Neither suggestion is satisfactory as he wants to stay 33 days beyond his current visa permission.

If you go to the nearest border they will give you only 30 days as you re-enter so practically and to stay out of trouble you will have to do 2 border runs, each would give you a maximum of 30 days to stay in Thailand.(provided you haven't used this method of entry within the last 6 months)

Alternatively you could go to a nearby consulate and get another tourist visa which would allow you another 60 days

I would advise a trip to obtain a tourist visa prior to the busy holiday period - that will allow you the 60 days you need, even if you leave next week. You could use KL, Singapore or Penang from your area and they should all allow a single tourist visa issue. You submit in morning and pick up next workday afternoon. Remember 5, 10 and 24 are Thai holidays. They will also close on local country holidays.

Neither suggestion is satisfactory as he wants to stay 33 days beyond his current visa permission.

If you go to the nearest border they will give you only 30 days as you re-enter so practically and to stay out of trouble you will have to do 2 border runs, each would give you a maximum of 30 days to stay in Thailand.(provided you haven't used this method of entry within the last 6 months)

Alternatively you could go to a nearby consulate and get another tourist visa which would allow you another 60 days

Ooops, well then either he has to do 2 border runs. I suggest one in mid december and one in mid january, or get a new tourist visa from a thai embassy/consulate in a nearby country...

mmmm....

if you get out Thai before yr trip to Phi Phi and go to Laos for example you should be able to get a TVx2 (2 entries)...Meaning that you will have to do across border run after 30days from yr re-entry to get yr passport stamped for another 30days and this should be fix you until after the 31th Jan.....

Example:

Leave bkk for Vientiane on the 19th Dec. (by bus if you want to spare few bucks ($19 vs $100+ by flying into Vientiane)) you will be in Vientiane the 20th Dec. around 9-9.30am go to the R.T. embassy and apply for TVx2...collect yr passport the following day, 21nd Dec. (Friday) enjoy the week end in Vientiane, boring I know or perhaps you can go to Vang Vieng after submitting yr application on the 20th...A bus leave for Vang Vieng around 14.00 from Northern Bus Station, (there is also Van service leaving around 13.00 from around the Fountain, ask the guys when you change bus at the Friendship bridge) and come back the 24th Dec. (Monday) collect yr passport from the embassy in the afternoon (from 13.00 onwards) buy a ticket back to bkk from Green Discovery travel agency for example, which is just across road from where the bus stop to bkk is (beside Khop Chai Deu restaurant/bar, across Joma bakery)...Bus leaves around 17.30...You will cross border around 18.30 at the friendship bridge, this will give you 30 days (up to 22nd/23rd Jan. TR1 usually is less then 30 days) be in bkk on the 25th Dec. early morning (around 6.00am)....Enough time to get yrself sorted for yr trip to Phi Phi on the 26th.

Then in mid January you will need to do a quick across border run...to get another 30 days.....this should allow you be "safe" up to 2nd week in Feb.....

It's a bit annoying all this i know...but cannot do otherwise....2 trips out LOS anyway!

OPS...FORGOT TO SAY.... MY IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE OTHER WAYS ARE POSSIBLE....ALSO PLEASE CHECK DATES before your first trip to LAOS...I just proposed some dates but DID NOT check if these are THAI or LAOS HOLIDAYS and therefore NOT KNOW if the embassy is open or NOT in those days....PLEASE CHECK IT YRSELF beforehand.

Take care....

Edited by Linosea

mmmm....

if you get out Thai before yr trip to Phi Phi and go to Laos for example you should be able to get a TVx2 (2 entries)...Meaning that you will have to do across border run after 30days from yr re-entry to get yr passport stamped for another 30days and this should be fix you until after the 31th Jan.....

Example:

Leave bkk for Vientiane on the 19th Dec. (by bus if you want to spare few bucks ($19 vs $100+ by flying into Vientiane)) you will be in Vientiane the 20th Dec. around 9-9.30am go to the R.T. embassy and apply for TVx2...collect yr passport the following day, 21nd Dec. (Friday) enjoy the week end in Vientiane, boring I know or perhaps you can go to Vang Vieng after submitting yr application on the 20th...A bus leave for Vang Vieng around 14.00 from Northern Bus Station, (there is also Van service leaving around 13.00 from around the Fountain, ask the guys when you change bus at the Friendship bridge) and come back the 24th Dec. (Monday) collect yr passport from the embassy in the afternoon (from 13.00 onwards) buy a ticket back to bkk from Green Discovery travel agency for example, which is just across road from where the bus stop to bkk is (beside Khop Chai Deu restaurant/bar, across Joma bakery)...Bus leaves around 17.30...You will cross border around 18.30 at the friendship bridge, this will give you 30 days (up to 22nd/23rd Jan. TR1 usually is less then 30 days) be in bkk on the 25th Dec. early morning (around 6.00am)....Enough time to get yrself sorted for yr trip to Phi Phi on the 26th.

Then in mid January you will need to do a quick across border run...to get another 30 days.....this should allow you be "safe" up to 2nd week in Feb.....

It's a bit annoying all this i know...but cannot do otherwise....2 trips out LOS anyway!

OPS...FORGOT TO SAY.... MY IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE OTHER WAYS ARE POSSIBLE....ALSO PLEASE CHECK DATES before your first trip to LAOS...I just proposed some dates but DID NOT check if these are THAI or LAOS HOLIDAYS and therefore NOT KNOW if the embassy is open or NOT in those days....PLEASE CHECK IT YRSELF beforehand.

Take care....

This does not make sense. If he gets a single entry Tourist Visa, then he will be able to stay for 60 days. If he gets it sometime after about the 3rd of December, he can stay in Thailand until he leaves on January 31st. The only reason he would have to make two border runs is if he decided to not get a tourist visa and instead just use two 30 day visa exempt entries instead.

Hi guys! Thanks for the help so far!

As i am planning to travel around it would be no problem for me to leave Thailand before christmas, and then I could make another trip abroad in the middle of January.

So if 2 border-runs provide me 2 times the 30 days i do not have to go to an embassy, right?

The only problem would be if you have used this method immediately prior to using your visa entry - as there is a limit of 90 days of visa exempt entry in a six month period. If you traveled here and used the tourist visa as your first entry it should not be any problem.

Hi there!

Please help...

thanks,

dukathi

You can also forget the visa runs , and just pay a 3 day overstay at the Bangkok airport when you leave, which will cost you 500 baht per day. It is cheaper than a visa run and an extension at the local immigration office.

Edited by Tattycakes

Not if you have to spend extra time in detention for overstay - which will happen if caught before you get to airport. At the least you will have a read overstay mark in your passport that may limit your entry to other countries. Bad advise.

I am so confused with the advise here, The simple solution and the best and legal and safest way is to go to either Laos of Penang, (Laos--cost total about 9 to 10,000 Baht; Penang --- cost about 12,000 Baht). Get yourself a Tourist visa good for 60 days. (one time no going two or three times). If in the even you decide to stay over the 31 Jan flight, just go to a local Immigration visa office prior to to end of your new 60 day visa and apply for a 30 day extension for 1,900 baht which will cover you until some time in March.

Hi there!

Please help...

thanks,

"dukathi

wait a min, i know its a bit early in the morning but, lets read wot he wrote,

"My tourist visa (stay for 60 days) expired on 28th of November"

"I extended the visa for another 30 days"

"valid until 28th of December."

"My flight back to Austria is on the 31st of January"

so

"You can also forget the visa runs , and just pay a 3 day overstay at the Bangkok airport when you leave, which will cost you 500 baht per day. It is cheaper than a visa run and an extension at the local immigration office.

needs a calculator,

did you extend at im or border, if border just do again, 2 times but keep away election days (somewhere 22-24 i think) might be closed or hold ups

I am so confused with the advise here, The simple solution and the best and legal and safest way is to go to either Laos of Penang, (Laos--cost total about 9 to 10,000 Baht; Penang --- cost about 12,000 Baht). Get yourself a Tourist visa good for 60 days. (one time no going two or three times). If in the even you decide to stay over the 31 Jan flight, just go to a local Immigration visa office prior to to end of your new 60 day visa and apply for a 30 day extension for 1,900 baht which will cover you until some time in March.

"I am so confused with the advise here"

correct

"The simple solution and the best and legal and safest way is to go to either Laos of Penang, (Laos--"

why?

read some other posts, pennang is not exactly user friendly at the mo, and if he's in the phi phi area why not do 2 border runs cost a lot less than your est of 10,000 bhat!

my advise to any one that is confused by conflicting advise on here is to just go with whatever Lopburi says and you won`t go far wrong.

Most of the advise given here by different people is all correct which just shows you how complicated it all is . Different methods of solving the same problem.

The only problem would be if you have used this method immediately prior to using your visa entry - as there is a limit of 90 days of visa exempt entry in a six month period. If you traveled here and used the tourist visa as your first entry it should not be any problem.

I did not leave Thailand since my arrival on the 28th of September. I had the "normal" tourist visa for 60 days, and i extended it at the Immigration office for another 30 days. When i get 30 days for each of my 2 border-runs I can avoid to go to an embassy, right?

I did not leave Thailand since my arrival on the 28th of September. I had the "normal" tourist visa for 60 days, and i extended it at the Immigration office for another 30 days. When i get 30 days for each of my 2 border-runs I can avoid to go to an embassy, right?

Correct, just step over the border and return or fly out turn around and fly back

My advice would be to get yourself another TV, then you can go and get it now before the holidays/election sets in and have peace of mind until you leave. Doing a border run near the end of the year might be stressful. You also have to consider that some borders will require an onwards ticket out of Thailand with in your new 30 day time frame, witch you don't have since your ticket is for jan. 31 next year (this is only valid if you go for a visa exempt entry) having a visa will allow you to enter the kingdom without onward ticket. and will give you sixty days.

Depending on where you stay now, you should either go for Penang or Vientiane, I'm assuming you got your current TV in your home country, and thus would not have any problems getting a new one in either place. If you're not a DIY kinda guy, Penang would be the easiest, since you can fly there, and use an agent to get your visa, and you don't need a visa to enter MY.

good luck

Morty