Phone Bill

sceadugenga

TOT recently connected our village to their phone service.

I've had two bills since and there appears to be no rental on the phone and no charge for local calls.

The current bill is 156 baht for four international calls totaling 8.1 minutes. (Inc VAT).

I note this bill comes from CAT where as the first was from TOT. (A thumping 38 baht!)

Does this seem right? It appears to be awfully cheap.

TOT recently connected our village to their phone service.

I've had two bills since and there appears to be no rental on the phone and no charge for local calls.

The current bill is 156 baht for four international calls totaling 8.1 minutes. (Inc VAT).

I note this bill comes from CAT where as the first was from TOT. (A thumping 38 baht!)

Does this seem right? It appears to be awfully cheap.

To be honest Sceadugenga, you can call cheaper with CAT prepaid. We pay THB 500 for a overseas calls (USA) prepaid card and we can call 4 hours! That is cheap (I think :o )

You will get a bill from CAT if you dial 009 (and 001 I think) before the international number, the call is then routed through the CAT exchange. TOT use 007 and 008. Normally works out about 15 bht/min plus connection charges.

You are right. When we don't use the prepaid card we dial "9" before the international number. Than the call is VOIP. Still very good quality. When you have to do a lot of

overseas calls I recommend the prepaid card of CAT, you can use this card on every phone (CAT, 12Call, DTAC, HAPPY etc).

And this CAT card works on a land line? You just punch the number in as you would with a prepaid card on a mobile phone?

4 hours for 500B sounds great.

I'll check it out in Chiang Rai this week.

at the moment CAT have a promotion on,its only 2 baht per minute to phone

the UK and i think the states on their prepaid phonenet card

And this CAT card works on a land line? You just punch the number in as you would with a prepaid card on a mobile phone?

4 hours for 500B sounds great.

I'll check it out in Chiang Rai this week.

This prepaid card works with mobile phones. I am not sure if it works with a land line...but...I don't care...just I use my mobile, can call everywhere whenever I like...to the United States it's only 2 bath a minute.

Edited by ISPY

Being a Number 1 Cheap Charlie Kee Niaow, I have begged browbeaten cajoled threatened and pressured all my friends and family overseas to install Skype on their computers. Yeah, you have to download and install the software (a snap of the fingers, absolutely the best easy install- designed for the computer illiterate) and put a minimal deposit of 10 euro or USD on account (for calls to landlines, billed at 2.1 US cents per minute to the US, not sure about UK/Euroland but should be about the same or less).

If you make a lot of long calls to landlines, whether mobiles or regular phones, voipdiscount seems to be another good option. They charge 1/2 a euro cent per minute to most of the developed world.

Skype works fine for me. I have a very dodgy apt bldg LAN, barely better than dialup, and regularly call the US and talk for hours with my family....for free. Calls to toll-free 800 numbers in US, also free. It takes me 3 or 4 months to spend even 10 USD.....

Not saying the phone calling card for 500 B is not good, I would definitely consider this while traveling on the road with my mobile, etc.

But if at home, nothing beats free.....

Skype works fine.

It can be free or very cheap.

g

I agree that Skype is a very fine thing but it's not what I wanted to talk about.

My connection doesn't handle Skype well and when I talk to my Father, who insists on it, it drops out every couple of minutes.

Back on topic,

I got another phone bill yesterday, I've received two for international calls from CAT and this one was from TOT for the monthly phone rent and the local calls, which averaged about 4 baht. It seems that dialing a 001 number automatically reroutes the call, as sweet chariot and others who were kind enough to respond to the OP said.

:o

Skype works fine.

It can be free or very cheap.

g

I use the Aircard of CAT for internet (don't have a landline) and we can skype...but...we cannot use the cam with skype....the connection is not suitable for that kind of stuff. But only talking is good, and cheap of course....

When you have no internet CAT prepaid is a good alternative, as stated.

You will get a bill from CAT if you dial 009 (and 001 I think) before the international number, the call is then routed through the CAT exchange. TOT use 007 and 008. Normally works out about 15 bht/min plus connection charges.

Here in Chiang Mai, using 008 seems to cost about 8 Baht/minute, to the UK. It beats the 70 pence/minute (50 Baht/minute) which British Telecom used to charge my mother, to call me, in the other direction ! :o

Here in Chiang Mai, using 008 seems to cost about 8 Baht/minute, to the UK. It beats the 70 pence/minute (50 Baht/minute) which British Telecom used to charge my mother, to call me, in the other direction ! :D

you can use the prepaid card of CAT also in Chiang Mai.... :o

Here in Chiang Mai, using 008 seems to cost about 8 Baht/minute, to the UK. It beats the 70 pence/minute (50 Baht/minute) which British Telecom used to charge my mother, to call me, in the other direction ! :D

Ohh, slightly old post but just spotted it :o

Look here ... http://niftylist.co.uk/calls/to/thailand/mobile/ , your mother can call you for 1p per minute is she wants to, cheaper still :D