Modified Cars Allowed?

xerostar

How do the Thai authorities view modified cars

being driven on the highways?

I want to revive my old hobby of shoe-horning

big engines into small cars.

My last effort in Oz was a Lotus Europa.

I removed the little 1.6 L Renault motor/gearbox

and replaced it with a 4.4 L alloy V8 and a custom-

made transaxle.

Going by what I've seen - homemade trucks, highly

modified motorcyles for transport..

Seems like I can do anything I want?

made transaxle.

welcome to the land of anything you want

Xerostar...sounds like you know quite a bit about cars if you used to do those kinds of modifications. Your avatar says "Perth" so I would imagine there's lots of space to test drive them :o

There are TONS of these modified cars running around here in BKK with all the decals, rims, and big exhaust pipes which make an inline 4 sound like a real race car. I'm not sure about limitations, but I would imagine the cops are more relaxed than they are back home.

I think that you are going to find that major modifications must be added to the car's title book. Even a color change must be added. Engine serial numbers must also be changed in the book. It is done quite often, so I doubt that it is a big deal.

Changing the engine is allowed, and as noted the engine number must be changed in the registration book. There is no engineering certification involved and you can do basically whatever you want. Motor Vehicles is used to this and is done all the time. They will want to see that you paid tax on the motor, and take a rubbing off the engine serial number in order to change the book.

Body mods are a bit different and you are supposed to retain 50% of the body, and the vehicle must resemble the original. Having said that, it is possible for example to change a Beetle to a Speedster. It involves several small steps to arrive at the final destination, but can be done.

@Hog head, Thats the first time I have heard this 50% thing.. And not for the want of asking either !!! So does that mean you cant make a bug into a beach buggy ??? Means a baja bug is easier tho..

Most importantly you need a legal registration book, with all in order. You must base the new car on this VIN, and not change the chassis other than "rust repair". Bugs are priced out of sight for a POS, but TIT

Baja bug no problem. Chop fenders, hood, and deck and be on your merry way.

Note the book states body type, and the change to convert is the biggest deal in the process. This will involve getting an Engineer to sign off on the body mod, sending to BKK for approval, then getting your local office to change the body style in the book. It still looks like a Bug convert at this stage so so problem with the 50% rule.

You can chop the fenders and drive it as a beach bug this way, however if you want the traditional fibreglass body the next step is to pay excise tax on the "replacement body" You have paid your due taxes, and are now around the 50% rule.

Engine change, and colour are easily done and the local office does this all the time.

Do this as the last step so as not to confuse them all at once.

There is a Thai guy doing this with Merc replicas on a Merc chassis.

I am building a Speedster right now on a Bug chassis, and own the moulds to produce a body. If you would rather have a Speedster let me know

made transaxle.

You can do what you like, you can make them go faster, or as this one has done, slower... :o

post-41326-1196598861_thumb.jpg

My pickup was lowred a little bit in the rear by previous owner. When we went to reg. office to change ownership the inspectors noticed it and made us go to a tech. school and get the head inst. sign off on it that it was safe to drive. Couple hundred baht so not a scam. Have to carry the paper in the truck in case the BIB pull me up.

Yipee! Thanks for those useful hints boys!

Now can anyone tell me where to find a Renault wrecker (or used parts shop) in BKK ?

I'm looking for a) a Renault Dauphine and :o a Renault 25 Turbo motor/drivetrain (or V6 Alpine Turbo).

I tried finding a wreckers yard last year (in the north) but hardly anybody has heard of them.

Talk about frustrating!

We asked dozens of Thai people and most had no idea what we (my Thai wife) was talking about ..

I found one that had mainly heavy truck parts - boring ..

I posed the question "What happens to a car after a big accident, where do they go?"

Most people have obviously never thought about it ..

I found a panel shop in Pitsanulok that was repairing old Fiats, Bambinos and little Subarus and the like.

Any help appreciated.

made transaxle.

You would have a better chance to find French cars and parts in Lao. I have a contact there who does them all, Citroen, Renault and Peugeot

Thanks Gondarman - you're the Man! :o

Please tell me more about your contact ..

I assume they'd be LHD's but that's the least of my concerns.

Vietnam has a strong French history so no doubt there will be

a few cars that survived the bombing.

post-41326-1196598861_thumb.jpg

Cowrysler Farm Truck

Specs:

1 CP (One Cattle Power)

2WFHD (2 Wheel, 4 Hoof Drive)

Licenced to carry one driver and 5 or 6 Passengers in upstairs lounge

(equipped with 360 degree scenic viewing windows).

Air conditioned (via hole in floor and roof vent)

Performance: 0 to 5 Kph in 30 seconds (by direct verbal command!)

turbo option: 0 to 10 Kph in 5 seconds (with whip for overtaking)

Fuel: 2 BHPD (a very economical two bales of hay per day)

Range: 50 Km on a good day.

Biproducts - Global warming manure and gas (obligatory)

Free milk (available on F model only)

brakes: front Reins

Horn: two side horns as embellishment and also one occasional loud bellow

turning circle: 3 Metres if you're lucky

Gears: one forward, one reverse

Optional extras: (on deluxe model only) - head lights, tail lights, indicators, rear view mirrors, windscreen wipers, 12V battery, 2 wheel rear drum brakes, pooper scooper. :o

Pretty much, TIT with freedom for souped up fast cars and bikes one of the pursuits open to the masses here.:D

Kinda keeps people happy which is probably why the authorities are happy to let it ride without interference.:o

Edited by JimsKnight

I'm going to put NOS and a turbo charger in my Toyota Corona! Just kidding! Guess they're more relaxed about souped up vehicles here than they would be in the States. The situation here reminds me of the Mel Gibson movie "The Road Warrior" or that US TV show called "Junkyard Wars" where guys use whatever they can to construct a crude vehicle and then race it. In the States, we have a type of race car class called the "grocery getter" class. I'm sure there are similar terms from the UK and other places. The preferred car is a Chevy Monte Carlo...usually something from the 80's. They guys are only allowed to put so much money into their cars (perhaps $250 or so) and if they put more than that in them it's considered cheating and anybody can buy their car for that amount if they win the race.