Next Step For Thai Wife Living In Uk

Hello there

Me and my thai wife have been living in the uk on a spouse visa for 9 months now and i am starting to realise that with only a year left on the two year spouse visa we have, time is starting to run out as to what to do next. Sorry for being vague but i am totally unwise as to what the next step is for me and my wife and for her being able to stay in the country. I have heard something about a life in the uk test but am unsure and thought i would ask u guys the people who know what to do as i have found that trying to find the correct information is quite hard work and i always seem to get conflicting stories on what to do next. such as not being able to apply for another visa until a month before and that the life in the uk has to be done through a college over a 3 term period.

So if you could help me i am basically asking what i need to do so that my wife can stay in the uk long term....and what steps we need to take and when we should start putting the wheels in motion.

Before you wife can apply for indefinite leave, she will, in addition to satisfying the other criteria, have to demonstrate that she has either sat an ESOL with Citizenship course, or has passed the Life in the UK test. The former is classroom-based and the latter is studied from a book and an exam then taken.

However, if she entered the UK in excess of a month after her settlement visa was issued, this could all be a moot point, as she cannot anyway apply for indefinite leave until 23 months after her first arrival in the UK. In such an eventuality, she will have to apply for an extension rather than indefinite leave.

Scouse.

As Scouse advised, she may make an application for ILR on form SET(M) before her spouse visa expires, but no sooner than 28 days (4 weeks) prior to the 2nd anniversary of her initial entry into the UK.

Following mrbojangles' advice, read the form SET(M) and SET(M) guidance now so that you will know what they will require, including the Knowledge of life in the UK requirements. Please note that, when making the application, there may be newer versions of the application forms available.

See also Chapter 8 - Family members, Section 1 - Spouses and

Chapter 8 - Family members annexes, Annex F - Family members - Maintenance and accommodation.

Following mrbojangles' advice, read the form SET(M)

I just noticed in "Note 5" of that document, they don't accept Internet Bank statements. Absolutely ridiculous when more and more of us are going that way in terms of banking :o

Most banks will be happy to supply real statements for you, although depending upon your relationship with the bank there may be a fee for this. When Mrs E2B applied for FLR I had not received the printed copies of the statements for one major savings account from the bank. Ultimately this caused no issues, whether this was because they had enough financial evidence from the other statements etc. provided, or they assumed since the statement was in colour it was not an internet print out, I do not know.

Providing that an application is generally in order, internet bank statements do not present a problem. However, if the application otherwise falls to be refused, they may use their submission as a secondary reason for refusal.

Despite what the BIA form says, nowhere in the relevant legislation does it say that an application can be refused for submission of internet bank statements.

Scouse.